U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 47,066 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Bethlehem soon -- I don't have much of a choice, in case you're wondering, since I'm moving with my mom. Unfortunately, I really doubt that we will be able to locate any housing in a "good" neighborhood, so we'll have to stick with the "bad" for a while. Most of the locations that will actually accept us are on the Southside -- I've heard a lot about crime here, but have also heard that if you don't involve yourself with drug dealers and similar things, it's adequately safe.

Some areas that have confirmed that they will accept us:

-Bradley St. This was WAY too ghetto for us. Not even considering it.

-The area slightly west of Hayes St. This seemed not too bad, but I saw some gang graffiti. Is there a large number of gang activity in the area or the Southside in general?

-Broadway. This is a busy road, and my mom's disabilities prevent her from sleeping if the road is too noisy, so that's probably out.

-The area directly north of Lehigh University, although we're not sure that we will be able to afford it. This would be the best, I think, but who knows? Maybe it's bad even though it doesn't look bad, since apparently there is a lot of crime near Lehigh's campus.

We're not looking to be here for an incredibly long time, but we absolutely cannot afford to have our tires slashed, house broken into, or pets (our ourselves for that matter) harmed.

If anyone has anymore information on the good and bad neighborhoods in Bethlehem, it would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM

79 posts, read 149,279 times
I have lived on the southside for 15 years (near the skatepark/sands) and its not dangerous at all. Id say most of the neighborhoods are good or decent, but there might be a block that makes the entire street appearnce look bad. I think the biggest issue are people who rent, they tend to be trashy and not maintain their homes, but home owners on the southside for the most part maintain their homes, landscape etc. Id stay away from the five points area, but the rest is fine. As long as you dont start problems with anyone they dont start them with you either. I wouldnt even worry about gangs, there nearly non existant here, or if they are a gang thrre just some punks who wont do anything anyway.
Bradley street seems more like a garage alleyway which is why its not pretty.
The area west of hayes street is fine except some of the blocks on mechanic street that are basically alleyways with rowhomes on both sides, but other parts of mechanic st 4th st 5th st 6st are all fine east or west of hayes street. I bike ride occasionally around the southside and never felt unsafe, i was actually surprised at how many of the houses were well maintained. Like i said before most of the southside is good but the few bad apples give it the bad rep

Last edited by N.Y.C.H; 07-14-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 AM

11,783 posts, read 12,298,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit Form View Post
-Bradley St. This was WAY too ghetto for us. Not even considering it.

-The area slightly west of Hayes St. This seemed not too bad, but I saw some gang graffiti. Is there a large number of gang activity in the area or the Southside in general?

-Broadway. This is a busy road, and my mom's disabilities prevent her from sleeping if the road is too noisy, so that's probably out.

-The area directly north of Lehigh University, although we're not sure that we will be able to afford it. This would be the best, I think, but who knows? Maybe it's bad even though it doesn't look bad, since apparently there is a lot of crime near Lehigh's campus.
Bradley street and indeed most of the area between Wyandotte and Broadway is very poor. Houses in this region often sell below $40K.

Dennis Benner is looking to tear down a condemned home, at 30 W. Fourth St. and build a brand new apartment building. That area is primed for redevelopment.

Crime in southside Bethlehem is much better than Easton or Center City allentown.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Bradley street and indeed most of the area between Wyandotte and Broadway is very poor. Houses in this region often sell below $40K.

Dennis Benner is looking to tear down a condemned home, at 30 W. Fourth St. and build a brand new apartment building. That area is primed for redevelopment.

Crime in southside Bethlehem is much better than Easton or Center City allentown.
Okay, but "poor" doesn't tell me much. There are poor areas where it's mostly single moms, or it could be all druggies. Does anyone have more detail as to the kind of people that live in the area?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Okay, but "poor" doesn't tell me much. There are poor areas where it's mostly single moms, or it could be all druggies. Does anyone have more detail as to the kind of people that live in the area?
Southside is a mix. You have alot of immigrants, but also single parents with kids, senior citizens, druggies, there is really no specific area to find these. You have black white asian and spanish people on the southside. Have you visited the South side?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Southside is a mix. You have alot of immigrants, but also single parents with kids, senior citizens, druggies, there is really no specific area to find these. You have black white asian and spanish people on the southside. Have you visited the South side?
I have. It seemed pretty nice, but graffiti just makes me paranoid, plus what I've heard about crime there. I've never lived in a city before, which is probably the problem.

I don't care about different races. I embrace racial diversity. I'm biracial myself. All I want to know is that my car isn't likely to be randomly destroyed by some vandal, and that my 60 year old mother could walk outside without feeling threatened.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:41 PM

11,783 posts, read 12,298,704 times
Quote:
I have. It seemed pretty nice, but graffiti just makes me paranoid, plus what I've heard about crime there. I've never lived in a city before, which is probably the problem.

I don't care about different races. I embrace racial diversity. I'm biracial myself. All I want to know is that my car isn't likely to be randomly destroyed by some vandal, and that my 60 year old mother could walk outside without feeling threatened.
It's difficult to answer your question accurately. I lived on the South Side in the early 1980s when I went to graduate school. I lived at Packer and Carlton near 5 points. I was never nervous. I have always thought of the area around 8th and Lynn to be very rough. I picked three points on the Southside and looked at a 1/2 mil radius to see what the population density and what poverty levels were. As I suspected the area around south Terrace (8th and Lynn has highest poverty levels).

In comparison I showed some other areas around the valley.

1/2 mile around center
Five Points: Broadway and Wyandotte St. (Latitude=40.608590 , Longitude= -75.385433 )
Total population 11,685
34.5% Persons below poverty

Hayes & Fifth Street (Latitude=40.609526 , Longitude=-75.366046)
Total population 5,412
37.5% Persons below poverty

Lynn & Eighth StreetLatitude=40.608728 , Longitude=-75.349223
Total population 1,722
49.4% Persons below poverty

Freemansburg Borough Office Latitude=40.625367 , Longitude= -75.340983
Total population 2,609
6.6% Persons below poverty

PP&L Center Allentown (40.602530, -75.472916)
Total population 13,413
45.2% Persons below poverty

My Home (1 mile)
Total population 5,961
2.8% Persons below poverty

Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't walk around at night alone, but during the day your fine. On my street there have been a few fights in the last 15 years and I believe a stabbing (not fatal) but it isn't between innocent people. If anything it is people who are in those groups or even family members. The stabbing was a sister who stabbed her brother actually. I park my new car out front and no issues, even with kids playing outside they are usually careful to not hit anyones car. It really just depends. If you live in a good neighborhood you still might find yourself having a trashy neighbor. You'll be fine, the chances of anything happening to you or your mom are slim to none.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:06 PM

4,199 posts, read 8,262,695 times
Bethlehem may have standard sketchy areas, but this is not 53rd and Lombard. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,735,124 times
Avoid the area around Broadway, Bradley St, etc. if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley