U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,190 times

Advertisements

I'm moving there soon. Don't know too too much about the area. It seemed nice and quiet, but I've heard that there is some crime. Is it alright to walk around at least during the day? Is it very walkable?

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 03:27 AM

11,875 posts, read 12,346,014 times
My brother lives about 400 yards to the east of high school on New Street, and he never has trouble with anything except drunk football fans.

My friend lives about 400 yards to the south of high school on Union Blvd and he gets some gang tags spray painted on nearby garages.

I grew up about 400 yards to the north of high school, near Linden Street and I know some people there. They don't have any problems.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:05 AM

11 posts, read 47,157 times
Oh boy, the area I'm moving to is south of the school, but it's closer than 400 yards. I mean, some gang tags are just kids with spray paint, so I'm not too worried

Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limit Form View Post
Oh boy, the area I'm moving to is south of the school, but it's closer than 400 yards. I mean, some gang tags are just kids with spray paint, so I'm not too worried
We grew up just block and half north of Liberty high school in homes that were built about 1940. The Puerto Rican Migration to New York City peaked in 1953. But when we were in elementary school in Bethlehem almost everyone you met had Central European ancestry. By middle school in 1968 there were significant number of Puerto Rican students in school.

My friend paid $115K in Jul 1996 for a 2344 square foot single family home on Union Blvd with 4 bedrooms and 2.0 bathrooms on 3,500 lot sqft that was built in 1895. Inflation adjusted $115K is about $175K today, and the home may sell for that amount.

It is just different than when we were kids. Almost everyone owned their home and demographics were mostly European. Now in a 0.25-mile radius around his house
Median Age 35.2
White Alone Not Hispanic 68%
1,186 Total Housing Units
561 Owner Occupied
535 Renter Occupied
90 Vacant Housing Units

It's a more demographically diverse and more geared at rental homes.

Where my brother lives on N New Street immediately to the West of Liberty High school, there are a much higher percentage of owner occupied homes within a half mile radius.
755 Total Housing Units
471 Owner Occupied
245 Renter Occupied
39 Vacant Housing Units

Where I grew up on Madison Ave immediately to the North of Liberty High school, there are even a higher percentage of owner occupied homes within a half mile radius.
635 Total Housing Units
460 Owner Occupied
151 Renter Occupied
24 Vacant Housing Units

The home sold for $87K in 1997, which inflation adjusted is $129K today , but it is worth $40K-$50K more than that price.

If you are buying a home you hope that it increases in value at least at the rate of inflation, if not more over an extended period.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-19-2015 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 03:58 PM

79 posts, read 149,775 times
I think you have an issue with Non-White People Paco..

Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
I think you have an issue with Non-White People Paco..
I don't think I do. I am 1/4 Arab and 1/4 Spanish myself, and I lived and traveled in Mexico extensively. My brothers and cousins are happily married to African American and Latina women. I like going to Center City Allentown and the South Side Bethlehem.

I try to report demographic data without judgement, same as poverty data, rental data, etc.

The Latino immigration to Lehigh Valley is demographically significant. Outside of the states that were taken from Spain and Mexico: Arizona, California, Florida, New Mexico, and Texas and metropolitan areas of Chicago and New York City the Allentown, Reading and South Bethlehem area is the greatest concentration of Latinos. So it represents something relatively new, a region with no historical Latino population that is being transformed. I don't count NYC and CHI as they traditional centers of immigration.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-23-2015 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: removed copyrighted graphic

Old 07-19-2015, 07:21 PM

79 posts, read 149,775 times
Yea I really don't think they are the problem, or reason why the houses prices are what they are etc. If it wasn't for them half of Allentown would be abandoned at this point. As someone who lives on the Southside, although there are some houses that could be better, there are also houses that are great, and that has nothing to do with races. The two worst houses on my block are owned by white people, and the two best are Puerto Rican owners. So i really don't see the relevancy of Puerto Ricans and the house prices near liberty. I think that area is nice, and have never seen anything otherwise, regardless of race.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
Yea I really don't think they are the problem, or reason why the houses prices are what they are etc.
I did not use any words like "problem" nor did I mean to blame house prices on a demographic group. The forum is littered with people using wild generalizations or making blanket statements like "I would never go to Center city Allentown". I try to be as analytic as possible to offset these other people.

My neighbor grew up one house from me when we were born in 1956/57. He now lives a mile away, but now south of LHS. There is:
(1) large difference in owner occupied homes
(2) relatively small 11% difference in one demographic factor
(3) the density is nearly double

Now in a 0.25-mile radius around
Union Blvd house <-> House in neighborhood where we grew up
47% Percent Housing Units owner occupied 72%
68% White Alone Not Hispanic 79%
1,186 Total Housing Units 635
561 Owner Occupied 460
535 Renter Occupied 151
90 Vacant Housing Units 24

From what I can see, home prices in old neighborhood are holding up better over a two decade period.

Childhood home in neighborhood where we grew up (built 1940)
$87K in 1997, which inflation adjusted is $129K: ZestimateĀ®: $173,572
House on Union Blvd (built 1895)
$115K in 1996, which inflation adjusted is $175K: ZestimateĀ®: $166,557

I don't know if the OP was interested in buying a house or just renting. People are often interested in crime rates, which are difficult to ascertain hard percentages.

I would never say that people who rent their home are "problems" or that owners always take better care of their home, but the percentage of owner occupied homes in a municipality is an indicator about investing there.

Bethlehem City owner occupied 50%
Total housing units 31,221
Owner occupied 15,727
Renter occupied 13,638
Vacant housing units 1,856

Bethlehem Township owner occupied 84%
Total housing units 9,031
Owner occupied 7,575
Renter occupied 1,202
Vacant housing units 254

Allentown City owner occupied 44%
Total housing units 46,921
Owner occupied 20,730
Renter occupied 22,074
Vacant housing units 4,117

Here is an example of a more emotional comment. You may or may not agree with comments like this, but I try to keep my comments analytic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
Landlords like section 8 because it's better to receive payment from the government than relying on slum dwellers to come up with the full amount every month.

The system is a train wreck.

Regardless of what you say about most Allentown people being decent hard-working people it is emphatically not the case.

The idea behind section 8 was crime and quality of life would be improved if leeches and lowlifes were dispersed rather than concentrated, but all that's happened is that more marginal , lower rent areas like what Allentown used to be have become unlivable.

You can thank Section 8. You can also thank the mass of "caring, open-minded" young lefties who have infested marginal neighborhoods in NYC and Philly for the cheap rents and driven out the brown people.

Where do you think all the people they displace so they can afford to feel edgy in the big city and engage in morally superior preening end up?

It's the same game plan in South Bethlehem.

It ain't happening quickly because the Lehigh Valley is pretty unsophisticated, but the game plan of all manner of lefties from Callahan to Lehigh U is obviously to slowly make the area attractive to the kind of people who'll drive the poor people out.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 07-19-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 PM

50 posts, read 179,153 times
I own a house in north side of Bethlehem and can walk to Liberty HS in about 15-20 minutes and I find the area to be very safe pretty much any time of day. I've never had a problem in the 12 years that I've lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley