Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,446,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Some of the boroughs in Bucks County get closer to your Rockwell image, but they are much more expensive than the Lehigh Valley. You haven't given us a price range so I am assuming $200K-$250K or $1000-$1200 in rent to be conservative. If I am way off you should say something.
This is pretty much spot on, although we're paying $1,500 in rent currently. I also realize that we are not going to get the bang for our buck on housing that we do here, and that we're likely going to be in older, smaller accommodations. People don't move to Texas for the scenery, that much I can tell you.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 08-02-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time for Texas! View Post
This is pretty much spot on, although we're paying $1,500 in rent currently. I also realize that we are not going to get the bang for our buck on housing that we do here, and that we're likely going to be in older, smaller accommodations..

Home for Rent for $1,400 with 4 Bedrooms and 2 full baths, 1 half bath. This is a 2,056 square foot Single Family built in 1915 with a lot size of 0.220 Acres. 3 car garage.
Hellertown, PA 18055

Near (C) on the rail trail map.
http://www.lowersaucontownship.org/pdf/rtmap.pdf

Excellent schools within half mile (kindergarten through high school) Rail Trail within walking distance . Rite Aid pharmacy within walking distance. Dollar General within half a mile.

Nothing about type of heat. That could be expensive.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Home for Rent for $1,400 with 4 Bedrooms and 2 full baths, 1 half bath. This is a 2,056 square foot Single Family built in 1915 with a lot size of 0.220 Acres. 3 car garage.
Hellertown, PA 18055

Near (C) on the rail trail map.
http://www.lowersaucontownship.org/pdf/rtmap.pdf

Excellent schools within half mile (kindergarten through high school) Rail Trail within walking distance . Rite Aid pharmacy within walking distance. Dollar General within half a mile.

Nothing about type of heat. That could be expensive.
I bet there's no central AC in most of those really old homes, either. Are houses of that age required to have lead paint, asbestos, etc. inspections before being rented/sold?

I did change my screen name, btw. I'm still the OP

Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
In general, the suburban schools are good and the city one (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) are not as good based on rating websites.

I think your budget of $1500/ month will be your limiting factor for getting a nice rental. I used to live in a nice townhouse complex in center valley (there are actually a few and all are pretty nice), and I think $1500 would be on the low side. If you could go up to 17/1800, the.n I think you would open up a lot more in those complexes.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
In general, the suburban schools are good and the city one (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton) are not as good based on rating websites.

I think your budget of $1500/ month will be your limiting factor for getting a nice rental. I used to live in a nice townhouse complex in center valley (there are actually a few and all are pretty nice), and I think $1500 would be on the low side. If you could go up to 17/1800, the.n I think you would open up a lot more in thos.
Depends what the pay scale is for my field up there. We could bump up to $1,700 if we had to living here right now, but Texas pays pretty well and has no state income tax.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:07 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Depends what the pay scale is for my field up there. We could bump up to $1,700 if we had to living here right now, but Texas pays pretty well and has no state income tax.
Fair enough. If you look on rental sites, there are 3 or 4 townhouse complexes in Center Valley. All are nice and are rented by individual owners. I'd start there.

Also, keep in mind that in PA, you have to pay 1.1% (not sure on the exact amount but it's about 1.1%) of your gross pay to the local school district. It's a local tax and is almost in every town and is often excluded from wage calculators and state taxes. If you really are mobile and want to minimize your taxes while being close to Philly, try Delaware (although i think the LV is nicer)

Old 08-04-2015, 05:27 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
I bet there's no central AC in most of those really old homes, either. Are houses of that age required to have lead paint, asbestos, etc. inspections before being rented/sold?

I did change my screen name, btw. I'm still the OP
Looks like there is no central AC in that house, but it does have window units and ceiling fans, remodeled kitchen. That's an excellent price for a single home in our area, btw. The only negative about Saucon Valley School District, where this house is located, is that the teachers have been known to strike (legal in PA) and they are working without a contract right now.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:42 AM

Shifting topic a bit.......what, if any, are the effects of being so close to NYC? I've read a lot about people fleeing there to settle in the LV. Has this been good for the LV.....bad.....both? I can tell you right now that having 4 major airports (Philly, Newark, LaGuardia, Kennedy) within a couple hours drive would be pretty cool!

Old 08-04-2015, 08:23 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
I can tell you right now that having 4 major airports (Philly, Newark, LaGuardia, Kennedy) within a couple hours drive would be pretty cool!
Eventually, you end up driving to all the airports, but I have only been to LaGuardia one time. Flights are very restricted in range, and it has been called Third World Airport as it is only 550 acres. Because Newark is the easiest large airport to get to, and it is a United hub, United has three buses a day from the local ABE airport which count as "flights". Bus service is available to Newark and on to JFK, but it is a long trip to JFK because the bus goes through Manhattan.

There are about 60 buses per day going to NYC (mostly Port Authority, but weekdays many to Wall Street) so it is popular for one day tourist trips. For Ellis island tours it is easier to drive. Philadelphia is very long trip by bus or SEPTA commuter rail, and most people find it easier to drive (especially to art museum).

Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 PM

Been squirming about the COL up there compared to here, but when I stop to think about it, it's actually very good considering the proximity to both Philly and NYC......especially with the natural beauty of the area thrown in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley