Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:11 AM

12 posts, read 12,858 times

Advertisements

There is also Frontier and Exede, both of which are satellite internet providers. I obtained provider information through the search engine inmyarea.com. Oddly enough none of the searches showed service electric as a provider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 02:44 PM

331 posts, read 369,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntatog View Post
There is also Frontier and Exede, both of which are satellite internet providers. I obtained provider information through the search engine inmyarea.com. Oddly enough none of the searches showed service electric as a provider.
Searches like that are usually woefully inaccurate. The best way is to call the provider and give the address. I would check with both Verizon and Frontier since I'm not entirely sure where the central office boundaries are.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
Searches like that are usually woefully inaccurate. The best way is to call the provider and give the address. I would check with both Verizon and Frontier since I'm not entirely sure where the central office boundaries are.
I agree with mrknowitall. When our neighbors moved here they thought they could get Verizon for some reason, but when they moved in they found out it was Commonwealth (now Frontier) for phone and Service Electric for Cable. Soon after that both companies started offering bundled plans for everything. Can you just ask your neighbors what the choices are? If you are where I think you are, on Old Bethlehem Pike, I don't think there would be a lot of choices.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:46 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I don't know anyone that uses Hughes. In fact, I'm not even familiar with that provider. Is there another name for them?
It's Hughes as in the late "Howard Hughes"
America's #1 Choice for Satellite Internet | HughesNet Gen4

Satellite Voice and Internet is usually a "last resort" for people with no cellular or wired internet options. Verizon now charges $62 for plain old fashioned telephone service with unlimited domestic calling, so Hughes is cheaper than that at $30, but you can do better with RCN phone service is $10/$15/$20 for the first three years. Unlimited domestic calling on the Verizon Network (Prepaid) is $35 a month and your phone is mobile. There are many more cell plans especially on different networks that are less.

For internet it is usually much slower and considerably more expensive than any wired option.

My guess is that Hughes net customers in the Lehigh Valley probably number less than a thousand. It is primarily in use in the really rural sections of the country.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
It's Hughes as in the late "Howard Hughes"
America's #1 Choice for Satellite Internet | HughesNet Gen4
Verizon now charges $62 for plain old fashioned telephone service with unlimited domestic calling, .
But if you add DSL and get the Double Play bundle, the total for BOTH is $54.46 per month.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
But if you add DSL and get the Double Play bundle, the total for BOTH is $54.46 per month.
Are you talking about FIOS? Because you can only get FIOS in Allentown. Can you provide a link?

My friend pays $130 a month for phone with unlimited domestic calling and 1.5 Mbps DSL service from Verizon. It seems ridiculous that they would charge her that much.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about FIOS? Because you can only get FIOS in Allentown. Can you provide a link?

My friend pays $130 a month for phone with unlimited domestic calling and 1.5 Mbps DSL service from Verizon. It seems ridiculous that they would charge her that much.
Nope, not FIOS. I agree that sounds ridiculously absurd. Does she have Directv also? You can bundle Directv service with Verizon POTS and DSL, and pay just one bill (to Verizon).

Here's a link: https://www.verizon.com/foryourhome/...ildBundle.aspx $54.99 (the price seems to fluctuate by a dollar or so every few weeks for whatever reason).

You might have to enter an address. I chose a random address (1200 Main Street in Bethlehem) just because I knew it off the top of my head (the address of Moravian College). But there is no Fios in Bethlehem.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Nope, not FIOS. I agree that sounds ridiculously absurd. Does she have Directv also? You can bundle Directv service with Verizon POTS and DSL, and pay just one bill (to Verizon).
No she doesn't have Directv. She pays RCN $110 month for three cathode ray televisions (basic cable).

Thank you for trying, but it didn't work.

I used your link with her address (I said I was moving in) and it said there was no FIOS (which we knew) or any High Speed Internet . I know she currently has 1.5 Mbps DSL, which she may have gotten when she moved into the house in 1992. Perhaps it is grandfathered.

The website just offered the same pricing she has now

She won't give up the landline for wireless because she is afraid it will break down and she has an chronic ill mother. She won't give up the DSL for RCN service because she has given out the Verizon e-mail for decades.

It looks like she could save a little money by giving up RCN television and getting DirectTV. But after the first year teaser rate expire there is very little difference in cost.

===============
I did persuade her to call Verizon Wireless. She was paying $90 + taxes and fees for a service that they repriced for $40 + taxes and fees (actually a slightly better service since it now includes 1/2 GB of data).

Old 10-22-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
No she doesn't have Directv. She pays RCN $110 month for three cathode ray televisions (basic cable).

Thank you for trying, but it didn't work.

I used your link with her address (I said I was moving in) and it said there was no FIOS (which we knew) or any High Speed Internet . I know she currently has 1.5 Mbps DSL, which she may have gotten when she moved into the house in 1992. Perhaps it is grandfathered.

The website just offered the same pricing she has now

She won't give up the landline for wireless because she is afraid it will break down and she has an chronic ill mother. She won't give up the DSL for RCN service because she has given out the Verizon e-mail for decades.

It looks like she could save a little money by giving up RCN television and getting DirectTV. But after the first year teaser rate expire there is very little difference in cost.

===============
I did persuade her to call Verizon Wireless. She was paying $90 + taxes and fees for a service that they repriced for $40 + taxes and fees (actually a slightly better service since it now includes 1/2 GB of data).
Verizon's qualification database is in horrid shape. Try checking at DSLExtreme.com. DSL Extreme is a DSL reseller - they sell over Verizon's lines but have their own equipment and their website is sometimes more up to date.

Or it could be that all the ports are full at her address and so they can't add any more lines.

If she has 1.5 Mbps she most likely can get 3 Mbps with no problem. VZ won't charge any more for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley