U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 10:36 AM

65 posts, read 276,369 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am a married 27 yr old with a baby. I am originally from nazareth pa, but left in 2000 and have since lived in seattle and bozeman montana. while we love montana, I am missing my family and we are reconsidering moving to pa- my concerns are that pa will not offer many choices in regards to hiking and outdoor activities- montana is the outdoor mecca and i love it! we also enjoy a co-op and tons of health stores and vegetarian options since we are both vegetarians- my husband is from seattle and is afraid that the "east coasters" will be mean- haha what is the job market like? My husband currently manages a store but he also has a degree in communications and lots of management experience. I am a massage therapist and a manicurists also. how about homes and crime? bozeman is very expensive, which is another reason for us to leave, but we have very little crime, other than meth related offenses. what about portland pa or east bangor area? i am use to wide open spaces and places like allentown or easton would be to much for us. if you had the chance to live in pa or montana which would you chose? how do you feel about the quality of life in pa? thank you so much everyone! I don't know what to do!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 PM

12,876 posts, read 29,551,516 times
I think there is a plethora of outdoor activites around here if you take advantage of them. Here's the first website I pulled up by just googling Outdoor activities, Lehigh Valley: Pennsylvania outdoor life | Bringing the great outdoor life of Pennsylvania to you! My sons were both in boy scouts and they were doing outdoor things every month. The Appalchain Trail is very close for servious hiking and there are lots of rail to trail places for flat biking and hiking. You can kayak, canoe on the Lehigh river or in a little drive be at lake Noxamixon. Pennsylvania State Parks - Nockamixon - PA DCNR

Friendly? We've lived in several states and found this area of PA to be the friendliest of all.

I don't know what to tell you about jobs but you can look at the classifieds in the local paper by going to Lehigh Valley news, Allentown news, Bethlehem news, pocono news, Easton news from The Morning Call and mcall.com -- themorningcall.com

No worries about vegetarian foods - you can find whatever you need in any grocery stores and there are plenty of vegetarian and vegetarian friendly restaurants. We also have two Wegmans Wegmans up here with lots of ethnic and vegetarian food choices plus very fresh and organic fruits and veggies.

We chose to live in PA intentionally and enjoy it very much, but I sure don't know if it's right for you. Come in the Spring for a long weekend and see what you think.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,541,475 times
Hi! I visited Montana years ago and know why you love it so much, just incredible.

Since 2000, things have gotten so "sprawly" around here, and also extremely expensive. As far as the Portland/Mt. Bethel area, there is still quite a bit of open space but it also would force you to drive long distances to everything. However, you could hike on the Appalachian trail and in the Delaware Water Gap National Rec. area. As far as co-ops, CSAs, and healthfood stores, there are some in the area but not out in Mt. Bethel/Portland as far as I know. Wegman's has lots of organics in their supermarket, but I am also lucky enough to have a great healthfood store 2 blocks from my house.

You and your husband may also want to look out in Berks County. There is a more "crunchy" vibe out there to me, lots of co-op, CSA, and organic/healthfood. Areas around Kutztown perhaps?

Hope that helps!

Edited to add: If you are planning on staying for awhile and your little one will be going to public school, then I'd definitely avoid the Bangor district (Portland/U Mt. Bethel/E. Bangor/Bangor).

Last edited by karen_s; 02-13-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Add something!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM

97 posts, read 402,338 times
The Waldorf School is in Upper Black Eddy, and there is a crunchy community there, plus parks, Delaware River.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 PM

65 posts, read 276,369 times
Default thank you

thank you all so much for responding to me- i checked out the lehigh valley websites as suggested, and yes there is tons to do. i will also investigate berks county and upper black eddy- very helpful!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley