Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 5,708 times

Advertisements

So I'm mulling over a move to the Allentown area from Elizabeth NJ, I'm just starting my search and plan on working in Jersey still. I'm 26 years old, single, no kids not really concerned about crime I've lived in Elizabeth my whole life so I've seen and been through many things in my life and I know how to stay out of trouble but i certainly don't want to live in the heart of a gang territory. Right now i make about 55-60K a year. I work as a restaurant manager have 7 years experience, I've been an assistant, and AGM and GM. I have a few questions.

-What is the job market like for someone in my field.
-What would 60k a year translate to in PA if i would move and have to accept a lower salary, I want to keep the same quality of life. ( I also have about 1000 in bills every month, phone, gas, car, car insurance, etc.)
-Budget of about a $1000 in rent gets me what?
-I'm looking at a two places on craigslist, has anyone lived there does anyone have any insight on these areas.
Center City Allentown (3 blocks from PPL Cernter) and AUBURN STATION APARTMENTS ~ Gated Country Setting

I also want to live as close to 78 or route 22 as humanly possible as I would like to be able to take trips back home at a moments notice. Just because all my friends and family live there.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-28-2016 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: new posters cannot post live links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 AM

702 posts, read 961,190 times
I can't speak authoritatively to your field, though I can say there are plenty of restaurants in the Lehigh Valley--and decent ones, too.

For $1,000 a month, you should be able to get a decent one-bedroom apartment, though the general rule of thumb is that the farther west in Allentown, the higher the rent.

And speaking of Allentown, I'd avoid center-city Allentown. It's coming around in its renewal, but IMO it's not nearly where it should be. The area immediately surrounding PPL Center (roughly 8th & Hamilton) looks great, but go just a short distance--maybe just a block or two--and it starts going downhill pretty fast.

I don't know much about Easton, and only a little about Bethlehem. I have a friend who rents a two-story house in Bethlehem for about $900 a month, as I recall, and it's a nice neighborhood. It's the north side of Bethlehem, very close to 378 and only a few miles from both 22 and I-78. In fact, if I were you, I would focus on Bethlehem. It has a great downtown area and (as far as I can tell) doesn't have the crime problem that Allentown has (though others here who are more knowledgeable may perhaps shed more light on that).

If you choose Allentown, stay as far west as you can. I'm talking about the Muhlenberg College/Cedar Crest College area, Wegmans (3900 Tilghman St.), etc.

The Lehigh Valley is a great place, and there are some absolutely fantastic social Meetup groups with great people.

Keep us posted about what else you find out. :-)

Old 03-29-2016, 06:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
jmentor, Please look through the top couple of threads for more information about the area, including the crime threads so you can pick a safe area if you choose to live in one of they cities. I agree that I would focus on Bethlehem over Allentown. It's the cooler of the two cities and I think has more restaurants, although really, the two places adjoin so you could easily work in one and live in the other.

Yes, you can get a one bedroom apartment for $1,000 anywhere in the Lehigh Valley, not sure if that will include utilities though and that can add up. I also wouldn't worry about proximity to 22 or 78. Except for rush hours, it's not usually a problem to get to either highway and normally living close to a high way is not seen as a real positive compared to living in a city and being able to walk to places.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 AM

702 posts, read 961,190 times
Very true about it being easy to get from Allentown to Bethlehem: Tilghman St. east (becomes Union Blvd.), Hamilton St. east (becomes Hanover Ave.), and, of course, 22.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:01 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
These abbreviations are extremely annoying. Regarding, moving to Lehigh Valley, there are plenty of restaurant jobs. As you possess the experience someone will hire you. I advise moving to West Allentown regardless of possible high prices.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-27-2016 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: grammar police not needed.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:33 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmentor View Post
So I'm mulling over a move to the Allentown area from Elizabeth NJ, I'm just starting my search and plan on working in Jersey still. I'm 26 years old, single, no kids not really concerned about crime I've lived in Elizabeth my whole life so I've seen and been through many things in my life and I know how to stay out of trouble but i certainly don't want to live in the heart of a gang territory.
When you say Elizabeth, NJ (population 127,558) with a violent crime rate of roughly 1000 per 100,00 population and 13 murders a year that is a very high crime rate for Pennsylvania, in some ways the violent crime rate is on par with our worst cities like Philadelphia or Harrisburg (although murder rate is much higher in Harrisburg and Philadelphia).

That is also way higher than Allentown which is far and away the most violence prone municipality in the Lehigh Valley.

VC Rate City Population - Murders
1,114 Harrisburg 49,109 17
1,021 Philadelphia 1,559,062 248
883 York 43,951 8
798 Pittsburgh 307,613 69

515 Allentown 118,710 9
298 Easton 27,143 1
281 Bethlehem 75,024 1

164 Lehigh Township, Northampton County 10,395 0
99 Whitehall Township 27,146 0
93 Lower Saucon Township 10,802 0
86 Whitehall 13,946 0
81 Salisbury Township 13,646 0
76 Palmer Township 20,929 0
62 Emmaus 11,316 0
54 Bethlehem Township 23,873 0
20 Forks Township 15,224 0

The most upscale mall in the Valley with several fine dining locations is Promenade Shops
The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley :: 2845 Center Valley Parkway Center Valley, PA 18034

It is within a 1000' of I78 and there is some affordable rentals in Emmaus and Salisbury Township which is close to work and close to more urban clubs in downtown Allentown.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
I lived at Auburn Station Apartments in Allentown for five years. Very beautiful loft apartments and nice, safe setting. Downtown is very nice.. don't get involved with gangs and drugs or pick the wrong partner (!) and you are fine. Definitely a higher quality of living than Eastern Jersey if you ask me. I recently moved because I bought a home... Originally from Jersey so I have something to base my judgement on.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 AM

5 posts, read 14,399 times
I work over in Carteret, NJ. but used to live in Allentown after graduating from Muhlenberg in 1969. We have one person who lives in Bethlehem and commutes down here to work. We used to have two but one moved to Oregon. There are quite a few restaurants in Bethlehem, but the chains tend to be out in Allentown. Keep in mind that there a few places (colleges, Hospitals) that might need food service managers (see: SOLEXCO). There are two exits off of I-78W where interesting, safe housing might be available. One is the Hellertown exit for Bethlehem, a good, old-fashioned place to live. The other is the Lehigh Street exit (or even Emmaus Ave.) right off 78. Get off there, make a left and continue to the McDonalds. Then make a right onto 23rd. St. and look around there. There are some small houses right in that area which might be for rent. They sell in the nabe of $120,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley