U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 03:13 PM

377 posts, read 472,983 times

Advertisements

I found a nice house in the College Hill section of Easton, but was dismayed that I couldn't get FIOS fiber optic to the premises in that area.

Given that Verizon seems to have stopped building out new areas for FIOS, what are my options for decent internet service?

Anyone know why this area (near a college no less) isn't serviced?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 03:41 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,739,647 times
My understanding is that other than Allentown, no municipality in the Lehigh Valley has FIOS nor will they anytime soon. You will be dealing with either RCN or Service Electric, depending on which serves the area. Verizon doesn't have any "franchise agreements" with the other municipalities and probably figures between Service Electric and RCN there is too much competition.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 PM

Thank you, John.

I don't get that municipal officials don't realize lack of 21st Century technology, especially when many people now work from home, is hurting real estate prices. For my prospective home, that's one less interested buyer because FIOS isn't available.

I don't think I'm alone in my opinion that all cable companies are absolute trash, RCN, SE, Comcast, and all the others.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:38 AM

11,882 posts, read 12,350,036 times
Default relevant articles

Comcast, Verizon say no thanks to Lehigh Valley expansion - tribunedigital-mcall
Article from 2013 where FIOS says it will not expand beyond Allentown

Verizon FiOS campaign to launch in Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Business Cycle
Of the almost 46,000 households in Allentown, Verizon spokesman Lee Gierczynski said FiOS services are now available to nearly 38,000 of them. A 10-year deal reached in 2009 between the company and city requires Verizon to have the entire city wired by 2017. Gierczynski said Allentown is the only Lehigh Valley community where FiOS is offered at this time. He added that Verizon has more than 340 franchise agreements with municipalities in Pennsylvania, and the company is focused on meeting those obligations before looking to expand.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 PM

2,891 posts, read 5,174,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
Thank you, John.

I don't get that municipal officials don't realize lack of 21st Century technology, especially when many people now work from home, is hurting real estate prices. For my prospective home, that's one less interested buyer because FIOS isn't available.

I don't think I'm alone in my opinion that all cable companies are absolute trash, RCN, SE, Comcast, and all the others.
Unless you are hosting commercial websites on a home Internet line, there is no reason that RCN/ Service Electric won't work for you. I have RCN and have 4 devices streaming youtube and netflix without any problem. I think it's 5 up and 50 down.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I have RCN and have 4 devices streaming youtube and netflix without any problem. I think it's 5 up and 50 down.
Right now RCN charges us:
$99.99 for triple play (Digital Cable TV, + phone,+ 50 Mbps internet down and 10 Mbps up)
$42.17 for taxes, fees, + surcharges
$2.00 or modem rental
$15.00 Whole Home T6 (6 channel DVR Powered by TiVo) which covers 2 high definition TVs
$5.00 Mini controller for a third high definition television
free digital converter (10 years old) for a standard definition TV

That is only $5 more than what RCN charged in December 2005 for analog cable, no free video on demand, no DVR, and 3-5 Mbs internet when they first installed triple play.

So they have been remarkable about keeping costs constant over 11 years while improving service

Old 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Unless you are hosting commercial websites on a home Internet line, there is no reason that RCN/ Service Electric won't work for you. I have RCN and have 4 devices streaming youtube and netflix without any problem. I think it's 5 up and 50 down.
It's not about need. It's what I want.

Nobody needs a swimming pool either!

Seriously, I prefer Verizon customer service to any cable company's customer service.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,739,647 times
Quote:
Thank you, John.

Your typical township/borough supervisor/commissioner/council member around here is a white dude in his 60s or 70s who has always lived and worked in the Lehigh Valley and would have no idea what you are talking about, let alone even consider it as a factor in home prices. That being said, unless you are some kind of professional gamer, I don't see how RCN or Service Electric internet speeds would prevent you from working from home.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
It's not about need. It's what I want.
Nobody needs a swimming pool either!
You know if you simply google the topic you can find literally thousands of community groups around the country lobbying Verizon to expand their FIOS footprint. There is nothing special about the Lehigh Valley. Bottom line is if you want FIOS, you must move to Allentown.

https://layer3tv.com/
RCN was just bought by TPG corporation with Google as a minor partner. TPG is also heavily investing in Layer3TV, so it is very reasonable to think you will be able to purchase Layer3 with RCN account in the near future.

RCN might be the most reasonable alternative. I find Service Electric or other options to be a bit of a kludge, a marrying of several different companies like Penteledata.

As a wise man said,
"No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need '
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley