Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 08:47 AM

24 posts, read 35,199 times

Advertisements

Parkland or Saucon which one is better ?? I plan on buying a home can't decide on which one. They both are rated well. I'm still new to the area so I really need some pro's & con's currently living in Bethlehem. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:37 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Where do you work? How much of a commute do you want? Do you want a large school district or a small one? Like you said, they are both school districts but they are quite a bit different.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:02 PM

I work from home & my husband used to commute to NYC a 30 min commute to him isn't a big deal so that's doesn't affect our choice.. I moved from NYC so I don't have a preference for small or large school im pretty open minded. I am new to the area so I don't have much to say about either community / school district. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Last edited by jfaith1230; 12-07-2016 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-08-2016, 09:16 PM

I'm confused. Your husband, "used to commute to NYC"? Is he still commuting? You really need to help us out here with some sort of preference set. Perhaps if you filled out this it would help:

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:41 AM

I found your old thread from 2015. //www.city-data.com/forum/lehig...l#post38957689

Are your answers still the same? Same price points? Same commute?

BTW, you are probably aware that two school districts, my own Southern Lehigh, and Saucon Valley, have been in the news recently for racist incidents in their schools. Make no mistake, this is not something just happening at those schools so I would not rule out either on the basis of that. I understand that both school districts are actively working to change the school culture, but it's not overnight and it's a very small percentage of the students. My own kids, all SL grads, were disgusted by the incidents at their old school but very glad problems were being addressed and not swept under the rug.

Realtors, See This.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:54 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
Even though you say "a 30 minute commute isn't a big deal to him" these districts are similar enough that it is one of the few differentiating factors. If you live in South Whitehall and need to commute on Rt. 22 to the Bethlehem area, that commute is bumper to bumper traffic for miles going 10mph, whereas if you lived in the Saucon Valley school district it might be only 10 minutes. Answer the questions toobusytoday posted if you want accurate advice. What do you want to be close to? Shopping? Dining? Farm fields?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I already live in Bethlehem. I work from home as stated the commute is NOT an issue for us. My husband works in Allentown. He USED to commute 4 hours a day to NYC back & forth driving daily. A 20-45 minute commute from his job is not an issue. We just don't care coming from NYC we don't see this 30 min commute here as an issue compared to many people who live here. He will be working in allentown for awhile Allentown vs suacon the commute does not matter to us.

This is why we are deciding between both school districts & what is important to us if not listed it is not relevant.

We want to buy a home in a good school district
we are a multiracial family
I do not want to be in a very rural area, I would prefer a Walmart, target, restaurants about 15 min out
we both drive
I work from home
we need a yard
budget 260K

Old 12-13-2016, 06:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,311 times
Parkland over Saucon Valley based on your latest post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley