U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 04:34 AM

10,695 posts, read 11,568,914 times

Advertisements

I think I am stumped, as these Mill Creek's seem very small for a large bridge.

The most comprehensive source of 3 million documents is the Lehigh County Historical Society, but they charge $55 an hour to research questions. You can go there yourself to downtown Allentown.

LCHS Archives & Library
http://www.lehighvalleyheritagemuseu...est%20Form.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 11:36 AM

724 posts, read 552,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I think I am stumped, as these Mill Creek's seem very small for a large bridge.

The most comprehensive source of 3 million documents is the Lehigh County Historical Society, but they charge $55 an hour to research questions. You can go there yourself to downtown Allentown.

LCHS Archives & Library
http://www.lehighvalleyheritagemuseu...est%20Form.pdf

I agree on the creek size, and the fact it was named "creek"long ago tells me it was never a big river that in recent decades dwindled down to something you could jump a bicycle over, it seemed to always be something small you could jump a bicycle over so to speak.

That's the other issue, those historical and museum entities all charge pretty high fees for research, forget that the staff is already on the payroll being paid anyway whether they mop floors or actually research, you'd think as the entities they are they would be more like public libraries.
$55 an hour is almost 3 times what I earn an hour on my job and I'm not going to pay that just to get some information that Google should have brought in minutes for free. I'm in Iowa, there's no way I'm going to ever get to Pa to look up stuff in person.
Their form says most research requires 2 hours minimum, plus $12 postage and handling, so basically it's over $100 to get any information out of them at all.

Waiting to hear back from Steve the engineer- after the holidays, if he doesn't have any information then it's time to move on, maybe some day someone will scan some book or document and Google will pick it up and I'll find something, books, articles, periodicals, papers, newspapers and documents are being scanned and uploaded by the millions every day.
Thanks a lot for your efforts, let's see what Steve says.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:33 PM

29,174 posts, read 28,232,542 times
I didn't realize they charged that much. Seems crazy to me.

I was surprised that some of the rivers in New Jersey are no larger than a stream or creek for much of their length. They used to be wider and deeper, navigable, a long time ago.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 AM

I have not heard back from the county bridge guy, I just now sent another email to the main county guy who had put me in contact with him last month, along with a photo. If I don't hear back I guess it's time file this away as an unsolved mystery and move on.
The plaque now hangs on the bedroom wall.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Here is what I rec'd today:

Quote:
My apologies for any misunderstanding. However, I am not familiar with any bridges, either existing or razed, that fit the criteria you have outlined in your email, and the County bridge files are not as extensive as you might think. There is a bridge over a tributary to Little Trout Creek on Old Mill Road near the Oswald Grist Mill in Washington Township, Pennsylvania, however, it is not a County Bridge and was constructed in 1914. "Peter or Peters" was and is a common name in that part of Lehigh County (where I grew up - relatives with the name of "Peters", on my mother's side of the family, resided in the Village of Emerald, PA - they have since passed away). Unfortunately, this is probably not what you were looking for. As time permits, I will keep searching for information that might be useful in solving the riddle. I will forward any information I find to you. Thank-you for your patience and understanding. Hopefully, I will be in touch with more appropriate information in the future.

I sent this inquiry and request to the Weisenberg/Lowhill Township Historicl Society on 12/20/16. To date I have not received a reply.

Bridge Engineer
County of Lehigh

Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I didn't realize they charged that much. Seems crazy to me.

I was surprised that some of the rivers in New Jersey are no larger than a stream or creek for much of their length. They used to be wider and deeper, navigable, a long time ago.
Yes, $55/hour is pretty steep for what is supposed to be public information but that's how it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley