U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 38,612 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring soon and thinking of moving to the Bethlehem, PA area. We are moving out of California - beautiful but very busy and very expensive. We would appreciate any advice you might have about the area and/or learn about any experience you may have had whilst living in this neck of the woods. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM

4,846 posts, read 4,566,352 times
Have you checked the city-data page on Bethlehem?

//www.city-data.com/city/Bethle...nsylvania.html

Old 01-15-2017, 02:15 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,735,124 times
Answer the questions in the "help for new and potential residents" sticky in the forum, otherwise we know nothing about your situation and what you are looking for in order to give advice.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:01 PM

Default Moving to PA

My husband and I will be retired by this summer and are considering a move to the Bethlehem, Easton area of PA by August, 2017. We are currently living in San Diego, CA - a beautiful area but very busy and very expensive, hence the move. The idea of a simple, more quiet lifestyle is appealing.
We have 4 college-aged children who are scattered around the country. We are looking to buy a single-dwelling house in the 250-300K range and would hope to be in an ethnically diverse area with open-minded people. We have a dog and want to have a yard. We enjoy cultural activities, dining out, sporting events. We like the idea we can drive to NYC and Philly. Hoping to get some advice/direction from anyone who is familiar with the area. Thanks you.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:00 AM

13,001 posts, read 30,550,177 times
Bethlehem and Easton are cities, small cities, but not especially known for being slow paced, simple or encouraging a quiet lifestyle. They are east coast cities within an hour and a half of Philadelphia and New York City. Kind of gritty but both have encouraging arts areas. Both places have school districts with poor reputations.

Have you lived in an area that has real winters for months on end? Think of your days and days of sunshine replaced with the same amount of days of overcast/rainy or snowy days. When you say yard do you mean a small fenced in area or half acre? I think both cities of Easton and Bethlehem are diverse. Re-reading my post makes it sound like this is a horrible place to live, it's not, but if you are looking for an Andy of Mayberry type of city, this is not the right place.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much.
Yes. My husband and I grew up in a small steel town in Northern Ontario so we are use to harsh, cold, long winters....most winters pale in comparison to Canadian winters; that being said, we plan on being snow birds so we'll head south during the winter months. We've lived in AZ and So-Cal where the sun shines endlessly so going to a place with equal amounts of dreary days to sunny days is a little scary. However, staying in CA is not sustainable due to the high cost of living. Ridiculously expensive.
The LV area appeals to us because of its proximity to Philly and NYC. I also like the idea of seasons....we haven't had that in about 10 years. PA is very pretty and we like it's location.
We're not really sure how big a yard we want but we definitely want a yard for our dog and for me to putter around in.
I have another question. I wonder if it's hard to "break into" this area. I know there are a lot of areas that have mostly established residents.....lived their whole lives in the area....are friendly but don't need friends. I'm thinking this area may be like this. Do you know?
We are also considering VA but are leaning towards PA. Agh! lol.
Thank you again. .
(Re-reading my post I realize I'm jumping all over the place - I think that's how we're feeling!)

Old 01-16-2017, 05:01 PM

It's good to think a whole bunch before making such a big move. I get that. We lived in Southwest Virginia for a year and one of our kids went to college down there as well. I loved the way it had four seasons, each of them about three months long. I liked the politeness of the people and the more laid back atmosphere. I felt a bit uncomfortable with the conservatism there and the multitude of confederate flags. My son gave the latter as a reason he didn't want to stay after graduation. Northern Virginia, outside of the beltway but still North, may be a good compromise, especially near a college.

I am glad we live here in our neck of the woods, but can't say I like the long winters.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 AM

1,189 posts, read 2,735,124 times
As far as "breaking in" I think it depends on which type of neighborhood here you move to. If you move to one of the newer 55+ communities, it is going to be a bunch of random people mostly from NJ and NY who know nobody here and are open to meeting others and making friends. Some neighborhoods in Bethlehem with the 1950s type cape cods and ranches, you are going to find a lot of Bethlehem Steel retiree-type people in the 60s-70s-80s age group who want absolutely nothing to do with newcomers, I can tell you that from experience.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
As far as "breaking in" I think it depends on which type of neighborhood here you move to. If you move to one of the newer 55+ communities, it is going to be a bunch of random people mostly from NJ and NY who know nobody here and are open to meeting others and making friends. Some neighborhoods in Bethlehem with the 1950s type cape cods and ranches, you are going to find a lot of Bethlehem Steel retiree-type people in the 60s-70s-80s age group who want absolutely nothing to do with newcomers, I can tell you that from experience.
I totally agree with this. We have a new 55+ development in my township and I understand that it's a great mix of people new to the area and locals that just wanted to downsize but stay close to home. I've heard that they have many social opportunities and a club house. I think it's hard to break into a neighborhood of people that have been friends and neighbors for most of their adult lives. It might not be that they are intentionally unfriendly, but that they see no reason to add new friends to their circle. A similar situation could happen if you move into a neighborhood of young families. I found our easiest moves were when our kids were young, and our neighbors had kids of the same age. Most of my adult friends are people that I met then and stayed in touch with even after our kids grew up, went to college and moved away.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Thank you! :).

Thank you toobusy and John. Good advice - it totally makes sense and is what I suspected.
I appreciate your insights. I never considered a 55+ community but it is something I'm going to look into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley