Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM

61 posts, read 225,864 times

Advertisements

I grew up in North whitehall. It is very desirable for the simple reason that it is in Parkland school district. For a long time it was cheap tax-wise too, but the new high school changed that. Everyone i know that lives in NWT is really happy with it.

The neighborhoods have a sense of community I think... there are two pools, orchard view and neffs. NWT is a little farther away from things but you are only talking 5-10 min here. It is worth it to be out of the lower/upper mac traffic snarl and trust me it is a lot quieter in most of those neighborhoods.

And my parents' view is hands down the best in north whitehall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Matt has it exactly right, people live there because of the school district and because it's in a rural area. You'll find your friends in your neighborhood, through your kids school activities, and church/synagogue. The lack of traffic is a big plus too. My husband and I were down in the Macungie area last fall around 5:30 pm and thought we were in a big city with all the traffic. I think we've been spoiled in Southern Lehigh, when we have traffic, it means sitting through more than one light trying to cross Rt. 309.

I guess you really have to think about what you want.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:16 PM

9 posts, read 39,484 times
The “community feel” around here isn’t reflected in town boundaries or pools, etc. I live in North Whitehall, Parkland School District (no, my taxes didn’t go up $2,000 when the HS was built) and this is a very nice area, for now. You’re in the country but have all the modern conveniences of malls and such just a short drive away. Which in my opinion makes it great for raising children. The “Community Feel” is going to the local fire company’s social hall events; Schnecksville Fire Company, NOVA or Tri-Clover to name a few. And there are some beautiful parks and recreation areas available. This area has an old-fashion neighborly feel with small local businesses here that make it a community. You can find all kinds of local publications in the grocery stores or ice cream parlors to peruse that you won’t find on the internet, listing local activities and events. And there are plenty of after school activities for kids through the schools and township. The township does a fair job of providing community activities and as a resident you would do your part too and become involved. The area is rapidly being developed which is a shame because it does have some wonderful scenery. Having lived in Lower Macungie township growing up, it’s pitiful to see how over developed it has become and I do hope that North Whitehall does not make the same mistakes. There are a few developments, some established and some new, in the area if you’re interested in a newer home. You’re not far from Northampton, Allentown or Bethlehem for larger scale activities. It all depends on your individual tastes as far as what is convenient or not. I wish you luck in your search.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,375 times
Thanks Cindy and everyone else. We loved N. Whitehall, but it is a bit worrisome about not knowing the areas. My daughter does ballet and the boy do all different sports. We have 4 children so we are looking to have activities for them close to home or schools. Not sure if there was even a shopping area or ballet school in the area, or if I would have to travel to macungie or whitehall. I guess this is what moving is all about. Just don't want to be driving for hours on end to keep the kids in the life style they love and expect!

Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 PM

61 posts, read 225,864 times
To reiterate, the extra 5 minutes to the grocery store or mall is worth the extra land and slightly more rural feel of north whitehall, but i guess i'm biased having grown up there. And with the notable exception of 309, traffic is not bad at all.

Certainly your sports and dancing are both available for sure. And parkland of course has great athletics in nearly all sports.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks, going back up this weekend to explore the mall area and local stores. Just to see what is up there.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:50 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Thanks, going back up this weekend to explore the mall area and local stores. Just to see what is up there.
Have you looked at Lower Macungie yet? We just moved to the area in Oct and LOVE it here!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Looked a little. It was pretty but one development after the other. Not much in the way of country side views. We want something maybe a little different this move. Quiet nights in a hot tub, searching for the big dipper -- oops forgot I have Kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley