Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 04:42 PM

5 posts, read 4,426 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Wilkes Barre. I currently own a home up here and recently took a job in Allentown. As of now I am making the drive down the turnpike, but its getting expensive. In addition to that I am not too fond of the Wilkes Barre area. I've found that the majority of people who live here have been here for generations. In my opinion it makes finding new friends harder. I'm in my mid 20's and am originally from NJ. I want to be sure that if I do move that I will not find the same things that I dislike in Wilkes Barre. Thanks

When are you moving? 3-4 months, need to sell my house first
Where are you coming from? Wilkes Barre
Why are you moving? New job
Where will you be working? Allentown, Mack Trucks
Have you been here yet? Yes, I also have two friends who live in the area

Will you buy or rent? Buy, will consider renting if I have to.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, 160k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Don't care
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes would be nice
Are you keeping a car? Yes, and 3 motorcycles
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Shopping, Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.), Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? No

Phillies or Mets? Don't care

Don't mind having to Uber a short distance to nightlife, it doesn't need to be walking distance. I just don't know what areas are good to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 PM

13,252 posts, read 33,429,817 times
I would suggest looking in Emmaus, which is about ten minutes South of Mack Trucks. Just go South on Emmaus Avenue, past the South Mall. I know someone near your age that is in the process of buying a row home there that is in the ballpark of what you are willing to pay. Emmaus is a pretty cool town. It has some bars and two micro-breweries, a great farmers market and a good mixed group of people. I think it skews liberal. Your other option is easily West Allentown and someone else on the board may able to offer specific neighborhoods. There are general safe/unsafe areas, but I'm not real clear on them.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would suggest looking in Emmaus, which is about ten minutes South of Mack Trucks. Just go South on Emmaus Avenue, past the South Mall. I know someone near your age that is in the process of buying a row home there that is in the ballpark of what you are willing to pay. Emmaus is a pretty cool town. It has some bars and two micro-breweries, a great farmers market and a good mixed group of people. I think it skews liberal. Your other option is easily West Allentown and someone else on the board may able to offer specific neighborhoods. There are general safe/unsafe areas, but I'm not real clear on them.
Thank for the reply. I will definitely have to check it out. Also I work at the Mack center near the Queen City Airport if that makes a difference. Reading through the forum it looks like Bethlehem is worth checking out as well?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp77 View Post
Thank for the reply. I will definitely have to check it out. Also I work at the Mack center near the Queen City Airport if that makes a difference. Reading through the forum it looks like Bethlehem is worth checking out as well?
I didn't know there was another Mack location! lol. Bethlehem is a great place to live, but like Allentown you need to be careful regarding the safe areas. A great area there is over by the Bayou Restaurant or in the historic section, near Main Street. In my earlier post, I was suggesting Emmaus and West Allentown due to the convenience of your work location. If you look into Bethlehem, you need to take a commute into consideration - not a horrible one, but depending on your hours, it could get old fast.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:43 PM

38 posts, read 44,797 times
What is the zip code for west Allentwon? Thanks

Old 06-23-2017, 01:25 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,413,759 times
Quote:
In my earlier post, I was suggesting Emmaus and West Allentown due to the convenience of your work location. If you look into Bethlehem, you need to take a commute into consideration - not a horrible one, but depending on your hours, it could get old fast.
I agree that Emmaus is so much more convenient to drive every day. You can always party or dine in Bethlehem.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:33 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,101,204 times
I am going to make a different recommendation and suggest either Salisbury Township or Fountain Hill. You will be able to find a single family detached house in your price range with a garage and a yard (especially if you bump the price range up to 170-180k), your price range will buy less house in Emmaus. It may limit you to a row house or a single with no off street parking or outdated inside. You would have an easy commute down Emmaus Avenue to work (10 minutes?) by Queen City and would be 10 minutes or less from the center of shopping/nightlife in Bethlehem. You also would not have to deal with rush hour traffic involved in getting through southside Bethlehem going to/from work.

Emmaus is nice but I think you end up paying for the better schools there, which the OP does not need.

This area will have more "transplants" your age vs. Wilkes Barre but keep in mind it's not a whole lot better. The transplants in their 20s from work that I know generally keep to themselves in their off time and the locals generally associate with their childhood friends.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,904,234 times
I don't really recommend this area at all if you're young and still looking to mingle. You're better off in a major metro like Philly that has a lot of single young professionals. The Valley seems more centered for people settled down with families.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:32 AM

Fountain Hill is not a bad suggestion, but saying Salisbury township is a little confusing as it runs through a large area without any real center. I do agree with your comments about houses, but if I were Alex, I would prefer to live in a town that was kind of hip with bars and things to do vs. having a nicer home. The houses that I've seen in Emmaus that are row homes have parking in the back. In fact, the one that I mentioned above has on the street parking in the front and three spaces in the back, plus a fenced in yard. The time to get a fixer-upper house is when you are young and have time and energy.

Your last two sentences do have a lot of truth in them, but the chance of making new, same-age friends is going to be greater in an area where there is some turn-over like Emmaus, vs. an older demographic area like Fountain Hill. We went to "The Vineyard" Italian restaurant there a few months ago and I felt like we were back in the 70's. Food was great, but real old-school decor.

Realtors, See This.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Fountain Hill is not a bad suggestion, but saying Salisbury township is a little confusing as it runs through a large area without any real center. I do agree with your comments about houses, but if I were Alex, I would prefer to live in a town that was kind of hip with bars and things to do vs. having a nicer home. The houses that I've seen in Emmaus that are row homes have parking in the back. In fact, the one that I mentioned above has on the street parking in the front and three spaces in the back, plus a fenced in yard. The time to get a fixer-upper house is when you are young and have time and energy.

Your last two sentences do have a lot of truth in them, but the chance of making new, same-age friends is going to be greater in an area where there is some turn-over like Emmaus, vs. an older demographic area like Fountain Hill. We went to "The Vineyard" Italian restaurant there a few months ago and I felt like we were back in the 70's. Food was great, but real old-school decor.
Thanks for all the replies everyone! I will really need to check out all of the suggestions before making a decision. I do not have any issues with a fixer upper. What I do worry about is the last two sentences of that post, because I think it is one of the reasons why I have such a dislike for the current area that I live in. Looks like I've got some researching to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley