Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM

113 posts, read 549,864 times

Advertisements

Ozlem2008,
we also have moved quite a bit. I have now 4 kids, the oldest is 12 and the youngest is 2 weeks. We recently (In December) moved from MN to PA while I was almost 7 months pregnant. Moving a pre-teen girl from her friends was no picnic. The first months have been mostly hard, but moving always is a mixture of excitment and sadness and challenges. It usually takes me about 2 years to feel at home. We also were used to having everything within about 3 miles of our home, but I actually really like the more quiet setting of our new home and I have adapted myself to running errands with less frequency. We aren't eating out much these days, but I'm looking forward to taking the kids to all the cultural/historical places that are within an easy 1-2 hour drive of us. I will miss the theatre and music venues of Minneapolis, but I bet there are some great things in the Valley that I have yet to learn of.

I wish you the very best, I understand the difficulties of moving (yet again) and hope you find encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 PM

104 posts, read 435,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlem2008 View Post
Quakertown was one of the areas that we drove through. You are correct in saying there is shopping and eateries galore. However, the very first agent who contacted us said, "although the Quakertown area is more active, the school district isn't great and resale will not be as quick as perhaps a Parkland or S.L school district area." We really need to take that into consideration b/c the chances of our family being transferred again is pretty high. Thank you for the information though, I appreciate it.
I can only assume the agent is not familiar with the Quakertown School District. Although Parkland and Southern Lehigh have great schools, Quakertown's scores are comparable or higher those some of those in Southern Lehigh or Parkland; I believe that's why homes don't stay on the market long in this town.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 PM

14 posts, read 59,041 times
The next time my husband and I visit PA, we will spend more time than our last visit driving around the areas (including Quakertown). I'm not sure when that will be as my husband is traveling quite a bit and I'm here w/ the kid while the house is on the market. At times it can be discouraging on this end b/c there are so many houses in inventory. I am so accustomed to seeing sign after sign, I naturally assumed I would see the same in PA. It was quite the contrary.
MI has all of their eggs in one basket (so to speak) with the automotive industry. When they don't do well, we all suffer. So many families are moving out of state, not enough are moving in state. It's sad to see how many foreclosures there are and unemployed people. I think what I really need is an apple martini and a big batch of tiramisu.
Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. It feels good to know there are people who can empathize.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
Default Nazareth?

Hi,

I know your post is a little old, but have checked the Nazareth School District? It's not as large, but compares to SoLehigh academically. (I'm a teacher and taught in SoLeigh for a while about 10 years ago). As for living in the Nazareth school district, you can live in lower Nazareth which is close to Bethlehem and shopping or you can live north like Bushkill twnp where there's pretty much nothing. I moved to Bushkill Twnshp from Los Angeles and gotta tell you that being close to the Poconos, but not in them, and having no neighbors is wonderful!!!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 PM

20 posts, read 83,765 times
Thank you for mentioning Nazareth, however, we believe we have found the sub we would like to move into. We're waiting to hear some news re: our home here in MI. Then we will move forward...crossing my fingers.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:07 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Hey oz, I was wondering what was going on. Good luck selling the house in Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley