U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:59 PM

12,922 posts, read 29,915,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
My neighbors all have good things to say about the high school. There are a lot of AP classes, a great sports program, a huge band, and lots of clubs. It is very big, as is the middle school. That's really the only thing that I don't love about our secondary schools.

For our family, Nazareth wouldn't be somewhere we would send our kids because of the lack of ethnic diversity and we wouldn't want to live there for the same reason as well as Nazareth is fairly conservative politically and that's not our crowd.
I really appreciate your first hand information about Easton and it's schools. We don't have too many posters in your area. As far as liberal/conservative, there are many liberals outside of the cities and my kids, who went to an extremely un-diverse HS, all now live in large cities, marched in the womens marches (sons and daughter) and are about as liberal as they come. :-)

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM

483 posts, read 358,783 times
Sure there's always pockets of different than the majority political leans anywhere you go. We came out here from NYC so we really wanted to maintain that semi-urban environment which we get in Easton. We are also a multi-racial family so an almost all white or all black community/school district was not something we were willing to consider. Living in Easton, I get a lot of slack from people I meet who live nearby but don't send their kids to our schools, asking why we don't pull our kids and move to Nazareth. Nazareth is "better" whatever that even means. Nazareth is mostly white. Nazareth is mostly middle and upper class. So apparently that is what "better" means to them.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM

12,922 posts, read 29,915,007 times
Quote:
Sure there's always pockets of different than the majority political leans anywhere you go. We came out here from NYC so we really wanted to maintain that semi-urban environment which we get in Easton. We are also a multi-racial family so an almost all white or all black community/school district was not something we were willing to consider. Living in Easton, I get a lot of slack from people I meet who live nearby but don't send their kids to our schools, asking why we don't pull our kids and move to Nazareth. Nazareth is "better" whatever that even means. Nazareth is mostly white. Nazareth is mostly middle and upper class. So apparently that is what "better" means to them.
To most people, better means good results on standardized tests, a good amount of AP classes and a populace where the majority goes to college post graduation. I know we were looking for a small school district. As new people, I didn't want my kids to get lost in the crowd. I think it's also what you are used to. I grew up in a small town, diverse, but small. I would have preferred much more diversity - racial, economic, religious, etc but we weren't planning to live in a city so that wasn't possible. We also wanted to be within a short commute for my husband. I'm saying all that because when I think of better, more diversity would, in fact be better but it was not the top priority. You chose your "better" and it sounds like you made a choice that was good for you and your family.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,970,743 times
Quote:
Where are you able to establish national election results by city? I can only see them by county and Nazareth and Easton are in the same. Pennsylvania has long been a swing state. There are very few neighborhoods locally that I feel lean heavily liberal and College Hill is one of them. So yes, I would classify Nazareth as fairly Conservative.
It's not very transparent, but from Patch:
Quote:
In 2008, Obama was a winner in Nazareth, Upper Nazareth Township and Stockertown.
The 2012 numbers in that article aren't final, but in this Guardian article that I read about a year ago (now you need to give an email address) I think has the data.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:56 PM

5,849 posts, read 6,844,356 times
If you have high school (or soon to be) age kids I’d take a closer look at that high school before you move anywhere into the EASD.

We moved out of Forks partly to keep our daughter out of that school.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,380 times
Default College Hill

Quote:
We live on College Hill and have children in our local elementary school and the middle school. We've been happy with their experience. Easton has a very diverse student population in every way and our family values that. Our lower test scores have more to do with the fact that we are an urban school district than anything else. Other area school districts with higher rankings are more suburban and less diverse. I would never send my kids to school in Nazareth and people that live in Nazareth probably feel the same way about our schools. Different values. My kids have had exceptional teachers and lots of opportunities for extra curriculars. I taught for 8 years and I currently work as a consultant for a large urban school district as well teach college level education coursework and supervise student teachers so I have been in a ton of schools. I'm not saying our schools couldn't improve at all, but overall I've been very pleased. Please don't make a judgement call based on ratings alone. Speak with actual people that have children attending the schools you are considering.

In terms of living on College Hill, we adore our neighborhood. It's a true community where people look out for each other's kids and know their neighbors. My kids can walk to school alone, go to the park with their friends, walk to the local convenience store. We can walk to our pool, to the playground to go sledding. Because we have a college campus in our neighborhood we have access to sporting and cultural events. There's a lot of offerings related to the arts. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.

ETA: Our teachers are very highly compensated. It's hard to secure a teaching job here and our school buildings are either brand newly renovated or in the process of being renovated.
We are working on buying a house in College Hill - exactly the type of neighborhood vibe we were looking for! After living in NYC and Barcelona, New Jersey was a tough adjustment... So we will be having a lot of questions! Is there any way to private message from here?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 AM

416 posts, read 593,377 times
To send a private message, click on the poster's name, and click on "Send a direct message".

Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM

2,838 posts, read 4,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyrnyc View Post
We are working on buying a house in College Hill - exactly the type of neighborhood vibe we were looking for! After living in NYC and Barcelona, New Jersey was a tough adjustment... So we will be having a lot of questions! Is there any way to private message from here?
If the messages aren't too personal, maybe post on here? It's nice to get some positive information from a non-rural/ non-suburban neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley