U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 02:04 PM

12 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently interviewing with jobs at Lehigh Valley hospital and St. Luke's hospital and we could be potentially moving in the next month or two. We are a newly married couple late 20s/early 30s currently living about 30 minutes outside of Syracuse (no kids yet but plan on one in the next year or so). We're looking to buy our hopefully forever home, not a starter home, and we want to settle down in an area with good public schools (private is possible an option but hoping to avoid that cost). We like the new construction and homes for sale in the Center Valley area/Southern Leigh school district but I'm very concerned with the RCN internet provider as I need to maintain constant connections to clients in the US and abroad. We currently have verizon fios and very rarely experience any downtime. I would love to know from any center valley residents or nearby how bad RCN internet could potentially be as well as any info on the school district.

When are you moving? Possibly in the next 1-2 months
Where are you coming from? 40 minutes outside of Syracuse on the finger lakes
Why are you moving? Husband's job, I work in IT from home
Where will you be working? Lehigh Valley hospital or St. Luke's
Have you been here yet? Only once to an Allentown restaurant where we actually met for the first time after meeting online on a video game!

Will you buy or rent? Looking to buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, modern or new construction, under $500,000, looking for that neighborhood feel with sidewalks/streetlights that you can walk around safely but isn't too far from modern amenities i.e. upscale movie theater/shopping/restaurants

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married this year, no kids but plan on 1 this next coming year or two.
Do you prefer public or private schools? I prefer public and my husband prefers private. We are both open to either. I read great things about Parkland but my husband prefers a smaller-feel school like Southern lehigh.
Do you have pets? 2 very spoiled and needy shih tzus. Looking for a place that does Agility training for my little one so I can still take him to his classes.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, looking for a yard big enough for an in-ground pool later on.
Are you keeping a car? 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Prefer to live in calm and quiet and be a short drive away from activity ie. Bethlehem area.

What do you want to be closest to? Ideally closest to a top school district and not far from more upscale shopping/movie theater and restaurants.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We do not mind either way as long as the area is safe and meets our needs in terms of education, housing and entertainment.

Phillies or Mets? Neither of us are sports fans.

Thank you for any help you can provide!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 02:09 PM

481 posts, read 353,210 times
I think Southern Lehigh/Saucon Valley is right up your alley. I can't speak to RCN service there but we had it in Easton and I also rely on it for my work and it was never an issue. I wish we had Fios though. It's no Fios.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I think Southern Lehigh/Saucon Valley is right up your alley. I can't speak to RCN service there but we had it in Easton and I also rely on it for my work and it was never an issue. I wish we had Fios though. It's no Fios.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad all my internet searching on areas to live led me to the right place! As long as RCN is reliable in terms of connectivity, I should be ok unless the speed is bad.

Do you use them for TV as well and would you rate that as decent? Also wondering if you do any sort of gaming that requires a solid connection as him and I both play a lot in our spare time.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 PM

2,834 posts, read 4,951,253 times
RCN’s quality is fine. They do get expensive over time (after your initial rate increases), but the quality has never been an issue for me.

I’d also suggesting checking out Saratoga Farms in Lowee Nazareth.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:54 PM

481 posts, read 353,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKN_newlyweds View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm glad all my internet searching on areas to live led me to the right place! As long as RCN is reliable in terms of connectivity, I should be ok unless the speed is bad.

Do you use them for TV as well and would you rate that as decent? Also wondering if you do any sort of gaming that requires a solid connection as him and I both play a lot in our spare time.

No we didn't use it for TV or gaming but my husband needed strong upload speeds for uploading videos he edited for work and was able to do that fine.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
No we didn't use it for TV or gaming but my husband needed strong upload speeds for uploading videos he edited for work and was able to do that fine.
I heard that RCN uses Tivo for TV which seems like a pretty archaic way of DVR. Wondering if any other TV providers would be better that service center valley like DirectTV?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:25 AM

409 posts, read 220,691 times
I use Apple TV and then signed up for a Playstation Vue account. Sling TV is another option, but I prefer Vue. Both have "Cloud DVR" to record shows. Just cut the cord.

As far as being "closest to a top school district and not far from more upscale shopping/movie theater and restaurants", there are exactly two options:
  • The Promenade Shops - This is the go-to "upscale" area in Lehigh Valley with lots of higher-end clothing stores, restaurants and a has newish movie theater. Melt is a good restaurant, but overpriced.
  • Hamilton Crossings - This is a new shopping center with a Whole Foods, Nordstrom Rack, Target, Costco, and a Movie Tavern. The best restaurant there is The Shelby, but the locals seem to prefer BJ's Brewhouse (an overpriced chain restaurant).

Both of these places only have a handful of nice restaurants, and will get repetitive fast. The only way to keep things fresh is bouncing around from town-to-town and visiting each area's 1-2 nice restaurants. At that point though, being close to any specific food-scene loses its value.

Downtown Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton all have some upscale shopping and restaurants, but subpar public schools.

Honestly, I gave up on Lehigh Valley restaurants after a few years of living there. Most places are disappointing, and anything decent is overpriced because they know they're the only good place around.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 09-24-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM

2,834 posts, read 4,951,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKN_newlyweds View Post
I heard that RCN uses Tivo for TV which seems like a pretty archaic way of DVR. Wondering if any other TV providers would be better that service center valley like DirectTV?
Why is Tivo archaic? It's actually a very good and easy to use interface. I saw ads for Service Electric that they are now also using Tivo.

Also, RCN's Tivo is an option. They have their own DVR, I think (they do have non-Tivo cable boxes).

Old 09-25-2018, 10:07 AM

12,921 posts, read 29,861,261 times
I think Southern Lehigh will be a good fit for you. We don't have RCN but I know many people that do and also work from home. I haven't heard any complaints. As far as the restaurant comment above, we have found many interesting places to go and we don't do chains. Within the SL school district is the Limeport Inn, a great farm to table place in a historic building out in the country, but just ten minutes from Center Valley. There are many doctors and hospital employees that live in our School District.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,650,963 times
I had RCN internet for 6+ years in the Bethlehem area, and other than during Hurricane Sandy, I think my longest outage was less than 15 minutes. I had Verizon DSL before that, which went out literally every time it rained hard or thundered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley