U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 01:12 PM

16 posts, read 27,164 times

Advertisements

I have a possible job offer in Allentown, never been there before, and know next to nothing about it. I currently live in central Ohio and have lived most of my life in various parts of the Midwest. I honestly have sort of an aversion to the East Coast region, based on stereotypes of people being uptight/rude, crazy traffic and aggressive drivers and so on... I know Allentown is some distance from the coast, but I was curious to know if the local culture fits more with the eastern seaboard, or the Midwest, or something else entirely. Also, since the city seems to be growing quite a bit, I'm curious about how the culture might be changing. I realize this is a broad question, but I'm interested in people's general impressions. Let me know if I can clarify anything, and thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 08:12 AM

409 posts, read 223,570 times
Lehigh Valley and Ohio have a lot in common. In fact, Ohio is the state that I feel Lehigh Valley most resembles.

Lehigh Valley follows the same pattern of Ohio's old rust belt towns that relied on manufacturing, and after that went away, became a consumption-based economy. The end-result is a bunch of chain restaurants, strip malls and fat people. Some people love that lifestyle, but I find it too banal.

The Lehigh Valley covers a lot of area, with micro-cultures throughout it. Towards the east, it has more of a "New Jersey" culture. Towards the west, it gets more rural (or wannabe rural, at least). In between is in between. With this spectrum, you can probably find a spot that strikes your fancy.

The best rule-of-thumb for where "east coast attitude" is found is the Acela corridor (Amtrak's high speed train which goes Boston to Washington DC, with about a dozen stops in between). If the town doesn't have an Acela stop, things are noticeably more laid back. Lehigh Valley doesn't have an Acela stop.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 10-08-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley