U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 AM

12,196 posts, read 12,539,414 times

Advertisements

Locast is operated by Sports Fans Coalition NY, a nonprofit formed in 2017. Since November 2018 locast.org offers 15 broadcast channels from the Philadelphia market over the Internet for free:
  1. CBS3,
  2. ABC6,
  3. NBC10,
  4. WHYY (PBS),
  5. FOX29 (WTXF-TV),
  6. CW (WPSG),
  7. Telemundo,
  8. Univision,
  9. PHL17(My Network TV),
  10. WDPN (ME-TV),
  11. WDPN-4 (Heroes and Icons),
  12. WFMZ,
  13. WFMZ-2 (accu-weather),
  14. WYBE ( MHz Worldview-affiliated television station), and
  15. WBPH (Bethlehem PA) religious independent television station.

They have a ROKU app to make watching on your TV easier. Roku equipment begins at $30.

While I say that it is free, they show you an annoying request for a $5 per month donation every time you change channels. They are gambling on most people paying in this nominal fee as it gets irritating quickly. On the other hand if you just want to watch football, you don't change channels much.

Aereo did something similar for $8 when it was formed in 2012, and in 2014 the Supreme Court shot them down.

This service could be particularly valuable to people in the Lehigh Valley since most people only get WFMZ, WFMZ-2, and WBPH by an antenna. They are often forced into much more expensive services than $5 and all they want to watch is broadcast TV.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 07:52 PM

13,008 posts, read 30,714,183 times
Have you tried this? I went to the locast site and it said it was not available in my area. We’ve cut the cable and have been doing pretty well with internet/sling/antenna but we’ve missed a lot of Phillies games.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Have you tried this? I went to the locast site and it said it was not available in my area. We’ve cut the cable and have been doing pretty well with internet/sling/antenna but we’ve missed a lot of Phillies games.
I would try again, because it should be fine in Coopersberg . I'm near the ABE airport. You must have a bad GPS signal, because in order to stay with FCC rules you must be in the Philly DMA, but that includes
PENNSYLVANIA: Berks, PA ~ Bucks, PA ~ Chester, PA ~ Delaware, PA ~ Lehigh, PA ~ Montgomery, PA ~ Northampton, PA ~ Philadelphia, PA
NEW JERSEY: Atlantic, NJ ~ Burlington, NJ ~ Camden, NJ ~ Cape May, NJ ~ Cumberland, NJ ~ Gloucester, NJ ~ Mercer, NJ ~ Salem, NJ
DELAWARE: Kent, DE ~ New Castle, DE
MARYLAND: Caroline, MD

They had it working onweb browser, Android, Apple, or Roku platforms, but they just added Amazon Fire devices in February.

Quote:
Locast.org Launches in Philadelphia, PA.
Posted: November 5, 2018 , 11:00 pm
New York, NY– Non-profit digital translator service, Locast.org, announced today its launch in Philadelphia, PA. Locast offers 15 local broadcast channels from the Philadelphia market on the Internet, using either web browser, Android, Apple, or Roku platforms, provided that users are located within the Philadelphia local market. The service is free, although users are encouraged to contribute to the non-profit in order to support the service.
It seems as if you don't donate $5 a month they will not only show you the advertisement when you change channels, but they will interrupt the broadcast every 15 minutes.

It's a good service for people who stream SLing TV which cuts out CBS. It's also low memory usage so it easily runs from a phone. Also some people have to resort to cutting their home internet for 60 days to get back on the new customer pricing. If you get unlimited cell data on your phone with hotspot you can still run your computers for those 60 days. Locast gives you some television for only $5 a month.

CBS3,
ABC6,
NBC10,
WHYY (PBS),

FOX29 (WTXF-TV),
CW (WPSG),
PHL17(My Network TV),
WDPN (ME-TV),

These two channels are in Spanish
Telemundo,
Univision,

These five channels you can watch with an antenna in Lehigh Valley
WDPN-4 (Heroes and Icons),
WFMZ,
WFMZ-2 (accu-weather),
WYBE ( MHz Worldview-affiliated television station), and
WBPH (Bethlehem PA) religious independent television station.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:23 AM

13,008 posts, read 30,714,183 times
I just tried it again on my tablet and indeed it does look like locast is available for streaming and the stations you've listed are there. Alas, the Phillies are mostly shown on is NBC sports. :-(

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I just tried it again on my tablet and indeed it does look like locast is available for streaming and the stations you've listed are there. Alas, the Phillies are mostly shown on is NBC sports. :-(
GET 40% OFF THE BEST OF LIVE TV $15 SLING BLUE

Sling is offering Blue Option for $15 for 4 months (after that $25) and includes the NBC sports channels.
  1. NBC Sports Network
  2. FOX RSNs
  3. NBC RSNs
  4. NFL Network
  5. FOX Sports 1
  6. FOX Sports 2
  7. TNT
  8. TBS
  9. CNN
  10. AMC
  11. HGTV
  12. Comedy Central
  13. History Channel
  14. A&E
  15. IFC
  16. Food Network
  17. BBC America
  18. Investigation Discovery
  19. Travel Channel
  20. Cartoon Network
  21. EPIX Drive-In
  22. Lifetime
  23. Viceland
  24. AXS TV
  25. Fuse
  26. Newsy
  27. Bloomberg Television
  28. Cheddar Business
  29. Cheddar News
  30. Tribeca Shortlist
  31. Local Now
  32. Discovery Channel
  33. NBC
  34. TLC
  35. USA
  36. Nick Jr.
  37. SYFY
  38. Bravo
  39. BET
  40. truTV
  41. Stadium
  42. Comet
  43. E!
  44. Paramount Network
    ACQUIRED BY DISNEY ON 20 MARCH 2019 (MAY BE PULLED BACK AND PUT ON NEW DISNEY STREAMING SERVICE)
  45. FOX
  46. National Geographic
  47. Nat Geo Wild
  48. FX
  49. FXX

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-08-2019 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM

1,030 posts, read 256,612 times
I tried Locast when it first became available in the Philly market.

I hate to be critical as I think it is doing good, but it seems that it is more recent that it started air its advertisement interruption (every 15 minutes) that is quite annoying. Also, it's really odd for a local station's advertisement (like ads on WPVI) to be pre-empted by the support Locast's advertisement.

And for the monthly donation, its not offering all the channels to be worth it for me. I have no idea why it randomly picked Heroes & Icons. When I asked if it will carry more channels or subchannels, I get the standard response that they are a nonprofit. WLVT/WLVT Create/NJTV would be nice to have on it.

Regarding Sling and Disney, Disney bought out 20th Century Fox, not the FOX TV stations.

I think YouTube TV and others have the full set of major broadcast networks from Philly (minus PBS).

Old 04-20-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g555 View Post
I tried Locast when it first became available in the Philly market. I hate to be critical as I think it is doing good, but it seems that it is more recent that it started air its advertisement interruption (every 15 minutes) that is quite annoying.
I wrote to them and they promised to stop the ads if you join for $5 a month. If for some reason they don't stop, you can write to locast support.

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out. While not an exact science, we try to start bugging you to make more donations about the time your previous donation no longer covers the cost of providing you with service. Of course, you can ignore our pesky interruptions and just go back to enjoying Locast but, if you really want to avoid any interruptions, we recommend contributing $5 per month. We wish we collected enough major donations from big donors to avoid asking you for any contributions but we are not there yet. Thanks for your support of Locast.org, the first and only non-profit provider of local broadcast programming in the USA.

If 24 hours after making a donation you are still seeing the donation request, please provide the email addresses associated with your Locast.org and PayPal accounts and I can help get this resolved.

This is still a new process and we are working out the kinks. Your patience is appreciated.

Many thanks for your continued support.

Best Regards,
Angela
Locast Support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley