Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,549 times

Advertisements

Hi I need some help. I’m currently living in NJ and seriously considering purchasing a home in Allentown Pa. can anyone please tell me some of the good neighborhoods in Allentown. Or any new up and coming home home builders in nearby towns. My aim is no more than $220K

Greatly appreciate and help I can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 14,961 times
Hi and welcome to the valley! I also am originally from NJ but moved to Pennsylvania 6 or 7 years ago. I lived in the Poconos\ Stroudsburg area 5 years and then Allentown almost 2 years.My first year here in Allentown I blindly moved into the first place I could in center city knowing nothing of the city or the area.It wasn't the best place or worst place, but not generally a great area, lower income and higher crime, also a terrible school system.The city boasts a wide array of diversity, but its mainly Puerto Rican, every store is of Hispanic influence, restaurants, grocery stores, bodegas, dollar stores , banks and so forth, if you don't speak Spanish or enjoy Hispanic cuisine that area is nothing more than a passing through point.There is a nice little area of the city between linden and Hamilton by the art school that has some cool city walking paths and runs up to the ppl center .

In any case as far as nice areas of Allentown to live in south side mountain/Salisbury township is nice, portions of Hanover ave bordering Bethlehem are fairly nice.Also, the areas above 16th or 17th st the area gets very nice, goes from row homes to blue collar residential to well to do affluent neighborhoods so you have a lot of area to choose from, within your price point you have a lot to choose from.Without more criteria, I can only scratch the surface, hope this helps.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 05-08-2019 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: fixed typos, Added paragraph spacing for easier reading

Old 05-07-2019, 04:54 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,345,557 times
I agree with Suge night about your chances of finding a good safe and affordable home in downtown Allentown. There are safe area's but they are in the area that Suge mentioned or on the outskirts. New homes seem to be starting at $300,000 now . My suggestion would be to find an area that you would like to live and set a zillow alert so when something comes up in your price range you can move on it. There are houses in your price range and in safe areas, outside of Allentown, but they go quickly and they will not be new. Make sure you pay attention to taxes - they are not low. They're not Northern Jersey high, but they are not insignificant.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:51 PM

76 posts, read 80,198 times
I'd suggest the 18104 zip code (known as the West End) if you want to be in Allentown, or Whitehall just outside the limit.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:15 AM

409 posts, read 364,461 times
Are you actually referring to Allentown proper? If you're referring to greater-Allentown, the locals call it "The Lehigh Valley", which also includes similar sized cities of Bethlehem and Easton, and lots of smaller suburban towns. You can get a smaller fixer-upper in the suburbs for $220k.

I still use "Allentown" and "Lehigh Valley" interchangeably, but when people in Lehigh Valley hear "Allentown" they immediately think "Allentown proper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley