U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 PM

199 posts, read 202,874 times

Advertisements

Me and hubby will be in Bethlehem in mid July from Friday to Sunday coming from Connecticut he’s going on a scuba diving trip to Dutch springs I have no desire to go to the springs I can’t do any of the activities and I would still have to pay to get into the place even though I can’t do anything.

I have family in Chester county Exton area google said it’s an hour and 30 minutes but I don’t trust google

How far am I really from Chester county is it easy to get to I would have to rent a car as my husbands suv is way to much for me to handle and we found a good rate on a rental for 9 hours.

Would it be worth the drive? I haven’t seen my aunts uncles and some cousins since November and thought it would be a nice surprise to
Go and visit them but if I’m farther away from them than what google said then The drive might not be worth it.

I believe there is a outlet mall and shopping in Bethlehem area I could do that but would like to get input from the locals as to the length of driving time from Bethlehem to Chester county

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 PM

13,001 posts, read 30,545,201 times
I would do it. We lived in Chester county several years ago, it's not a bad drive as long as you aren't doing it between 4 and 6 pm on a Friday evening. You can even take back roads for a lot of it, if you want. My husband got his re-certified at Dutch Springs a few years ago, they do a pretty good job. I'd say an hour and a half is about right.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:48 PM

199 posts, read 202,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would do it. We lived in Chester county several years ago, it's not a bad drive as long as you aren't doing it between 4 and 6 pm on a Friday evening. You can even take back roads for a lot of it, if you want. My husband got his re-certified at Dutch Springs a few years ago, they do a pretty good job. I'd say an hour and a half is about right.
I would be doing it on a Saturday mid morning and leaving to head back to Bethlehem in like 4ish

Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,734,842 times
I briefly had a mid-day weekday commute for a project a few years ago that took me from the southside of Bethlehem to the northern part of Exton where Rt. 100 meets the turnpike. It almost always took me a little less than an hour and a half. Usually took back roads down to Rt. 100. It's a nice ride. I'd get the rental car and do it.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 PM

32,198 posts, read 14,428,279 times
I live North of Exton off of Rt. 100. I've done the drive to or through Allentown several times. It is an easy drive. You shouldn't hit too much traffic on a Saturday, although Rt. 100 has become a lot busier with all the development here, plus the PA Turnpike interchange is down here, and that attracts some traffic.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:22 PM

30,096 posts, read 29,763,235 times
It really depends upon how you feel when you get up that morning. If you've had enough sleep and feel OK, just go.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:11 AM

2,891 posts, read 5,163,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
I would be doing it on a Saturday mid morning and leaving to head back to Bethlehem in like 4ish
I don't think you will hit much traffic then. I go to Philly on the weekends sometimes and rarely hit traffic on 476 (north of 76).

Old 06-07-2019, 01:09 PM

11,772 posts, read 12,294,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post
I believe there is a outlet mall and shopping in Bethlehem area I could do that but would like to get input from the locals as to the length of driving time from Bethlehem to Chester county

Thanks
The least expensive kitchen suite 2-star hotel very near Dutch Springs is
WoodSpring Suites Allentown Bethlehem
4016 Christian Spring Rd, Bethlehem, PA 18020•(610) 867-2222

If you get stuck and your husband needs to drop you off for an hour or two while he goes to Dutch Springs, Wegman's at 5000 Wegmans Drive Bethlehem, PA 18017 is very close. You can work on a tablet as they have wifi and you can buy food and drink while your husband ties up paperwork.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:32 PM

409 posts, read 251,800 times
I spent 6 years in Lehigh Valley, with family in Chester County, so I've made this trek countless times. Route 100 is a decent toll-free option to get to Exton - 1hr 30min sounds reasonable if you go that route. The PA Turnpike (I-476 and I-76) might shave 5-10 minutes off but will also cost ~$10 in tolls.

Also, counter-intuitively, the turnpike is less reliable - if there's an accident on it, it can back-up for miles due to the lack of exists for people to divert away (it could cost you an hour). If there's an accident on Route 100 it will probably just be a nuisance. That being said, some parts of Route 100 are one lane each direction with no legal passing zones, which means that if you get stuck behind slowpokes, it could cost you 10-15 minutes.

If you're looking for outlet shopping, the best option is the "Philadelphia Premium Outlets" (in Limerick, about 2/3rds of the way to Exton), which is not far from Route 100 or the Turnpike. However, the lack of entry/exit on the Turnpike will again be a nuisance if you try accessing it from there.

In short, I recommend taking Route 100. It's more direct, has easier on/off, and is toll-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley