Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 12,924 times

Advertisements

Please note that is thread was started in 2011 and the poster has not posted since then.

I'm considering taking a job in Bethlehem and my wife is concerned that's she's hearing a lot about crime in the area.

From searching the forums here, anecdotal evidence, and looking at crime statistics for the area, there certainly seems to be some validity to her concerns. My question is how bad is it and what does one do about it? Does stuff tend to happen in certain areas only with people more doing stuff to each other or is it more widespread? We probably wouldn't live in Bethlehem proper, but are looking for a nice small town where you can let your kids walk around without worrying about them. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, our oldest daughter will be enrolled at Lehigh University in the Fall and it seems like a lot of crime is happening just off campus. Again, is this overblown or is this a safe place once the sun goes down (or anytime for that matter)?

Many thanks.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-31-2019 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:16 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
I guess it depends on where you live now. I personally, would not choose to live in Bethlehem but would not be afraid to work there and would not feel uncomfortable having a child attend Lehigh. This crime map (also in the sticky at the top of this forum) Lehigh Valley Crime Map: Police reports from Allentown, Easton, Bethlehem from The Morning Call shows the types of crime in different areas. I know a few people that work there but live in my school district. We're (I live near Coopersburg, in Southern Lehigh School district) an easy commute to Lehigh. I also know a few students that take classes there right now at my son's HS and some college age students that attend there. It was a little too close for my kids, so I've never even done a campus tour. Another close by small town is Hellertown in Saucon Valley School district.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 PM

93 posts, read 308,495 times
It isn't overblown, as there is a very scummy element surrounding the campus. But trouble is easily avoided by not wandering around alone after dark. The campus is very safe.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:42 AM

627 posts, read 1,291,390 times
Wow.

I've been in the area at different times and late hours of the night and I just have not seen that.

And I've been going there for the past 6 years as my Grand Children live there.

I'm not saying it is completely free of crime but it is not as described here.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Baloney. There may not be a visually obvious sense of menace, but there are a lot of burglaries and muggings. They target students who are walking alone at night. You're not doing someone who was asking an honest question any favors by chiming in when you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:09 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,363,767 times
Eephus, Sensei Han has shared his/her opinion, the OP can take all of the posts here and make their own decision. I too have not had a problem in South Bethlehem but I wouldn't suggest walking around at night alone.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM

If these punks targeted old men then his opinion might have a semblance of value. But seeing as I graduated from Lehigh and my sister is there now, I don't much care about this guy's opinion as an occasional visitor. It is not at all helpful when the OP is asking in relation to concerns for his daughter. The only helpful response is that his daughter needs to be careful.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 AM

627 posts, read 1,291,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
If these punks targeted old men then his opinion might have a semblance of value. But seeing as I graduated from Lehigh and my sister is there now, I don't much care about this guy's opinion as an occasional visitor. It is not at all helpful when the OP is asking in relation to concerns for his daughter. The only helpful response is that his daughter needs to be careful.
My son walks through there every single night at 1, 2 and 3 in the AM when he leaves his job to go home. He has never had an encounter with the boogey man. He even calls me at night often while he is walking. And even though I am an "occasional", but more often than you know, I know enough about the streets to discern who is who from all those bad people who walk around at night.

Some people are just afraid of everything and anything that is not rosy pink is bad.

As I said, I am not saying the area is free of crime. I have seen plenty of incidents involving Lehigh U Students and Police.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:04 AM

4,407 posts, read 9,091,841 times
It is a common sense issue. Stay off certain streets at night and mind your own business. Try not to walk alone. If you want to see bad College neighborhoods, hang out by Drexel and Penn in West Philadelphia, or Temple in North Philadelphia at 2 am.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:53 AM

50 posts, read 188,859 times
Bethlehem is pretty safe. The northside is probably the safest area (of any of the cities/towns of LV) as there is lots of foot traffic due to shops, restaurants, and bars. The south side is pretty safe in the areas around the southside downtown shops/restaurants and near Lehigh U. I took grad classes at Lehigh U and left class many times at 9:30-10PM and walked home to the northside with no problem. You just have to use common sense. I have walked at night in much of the northside and never felt threatened. But, then again, I've lived in larger cities and have some common sense about where to walk. Anyhow...most crime on the southside is usually directed toward drug dealers and that type of element. There have been muggings of students, but usually this is by houligan teenagers who are trying to get a quick buck from an ipod or a cell phone. Remember, crime can be commited anywhere and by anyone....a few years ago a Lehigh student robbed a bank due to online gambling debts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley