Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 PM

11 posts, read 57,523 times

Advertisements

I was fortunate enough to get a well-paying job in the general area of Schnecksville/Neffs/etc despite the pandemic. I'm looking to save for a few months and move around August or September. On Zillow and other sites, it seems very rare to find any detached house rentals that aren't mansions or over $2000/month. I take care of a disabled / elderly relative and we had really bad experiences with our neighbors living in a community of all row-houses (it was also a pretty low income area in Bethlehem though), so we'd like to move to a detached house if possible (I recognize there will still be neighbors, but there would at least be clear boundaries like fences in this case). If it were just me, I'd move to an apartment, but my relative likes living in a house and is willing to devote nearly all of her income to rent and utilities, so I'm okay with this situation since I prefer houses as well.

I'm paid well, but it's just my income plus $750 or so per month for my relative, so I'd like to pay $1400-1500 per month or less so that I can save/invest as much as possible of my remaining income (I'm pretty young). We also have a small dog, which I realize reduces the options.

I'm willing to live anywhere from West Bethlehem all the way down to Macungie up to Lehighton and anywhere in between, depending on the quality / price of the house, neighborhood, and everything else, but there don't seem to be too many detached houses. I'd like to avoid "bad"/high-crime areas like Center City Allentown since we want our next house to be a peaceful experience, but I'm not super picky. I have seen a few ranch style houses on Zillow that looked good (these would be perfect for us) and fit the criteria I mentioned before, but they want occupied now and I'm looking to move in a few months.

Does anyone know of any communities or areas where this type of housing is common? Or even just additional websites that offer housing different than what is on Zillow/Trulia and all their other clones, since I can't seem to find any. I currently live in the area, so I'm able to physically drive to places to check them out as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 02:35 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
If I were you I would look towards Fogelsville and maybe down to Kutztown and avoid areas East of Allentown. Because of the virus, you might be able to get a better deal in Kutztown right now and they surely would have more rental properties than many areas due to the student population. Have you set an alert for properties on Zillow? We were toying with the idea of buying a house in Hellertown to flip so I set an alert for anything between $150,000 and $250,000 and I get notices of about one house a week. Fogelsville is a nice small town and it would be an easy commute to Schnecksville. The area North of Schnecksville is real pretty too.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley