U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 09:49 AM

294 posts, read 141,288 times

Advertisements

I just had an experience with Lehigh Valley Hospital. It was not good. The doctor's offices seemed self-contained so the information required at the hospital (like after-surgery care, etc.) never made it to LV.

Communication (lack thereof) was horrible. I had a problem soon after returning home. Had to call the office nurse and she said go to the ER. I was there for 6-8 hours waiting. A nurse at the hospital (South Cedar Crest) said all nurses called will tell the patient to go to the ER because they can't diagnose over the phone. I went to the doctor's office the next day or day after and was told it's not true. Call the office and they'll have me go in.
Which is the truth? I don't know. My day was wasted. Further pain added. There were other contradictory statements like this.

There seems to be a nurse shortage at LV. When I was preparing to "get out of Dodge," a nurse came by to check my temperature (done) and blood pressure (she forgot and I had no intention of calling her back when I realized the error). It appears this falls in the category of not enough nurses to do their job accurately.

Checklists for doctors and nurses seemed cookie cutter and caused problems. At checkout, I was given a list of mandatory (as marked) and non-mandatory pills to take. I wondered how my body was going to react to it and it knocked me off my socks and created physical issues for me. But it seemed like a template and that indicated one-size-fits all and that's not how bodies are. If I had been asked a simple question like - have you had an adverse (spelling it out, though) reaction to iron. I would've said, "Yes," and not taken it. So, I spent a bunch of dough on useless stuff that I took once and STOPPED. It probably would've kept me out of ER, too.

The list of complaints with LV is long but ends here.

Visited St Luke's ER @a month ago with a friend. They went on a wild goose chase. She kept saying she felt a problem in her ear. They tested her for a heart attack, stroke, etc. Two weeks later, same complaints - it was an ear problem. That was astounding.

Doctor situation tends to be just as disconcerting (thank goodness my internist is great). But that's another thread .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 10:16 AM

12,841 posts, read 29,226,869 times
We go where our Doctor has privileges but really haven't been to a hospital for personal care for a decade so I don't have a personal comparison. My daughter had her baby at St. Luke's, Allentown, and the care there seemed very good. My guess it it depends on the department, but I don't know.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
We go where our Doctor has privileges but really haven't been to a hospital for personal care for a decade so I don't have a personal comparison. My daughter had her baby at St. Luke's, Allentown, and the care there seemed very good. My guess it it depends on the department, but I don't know.
Thanks much for your fast reply as I attempt to get out of my final appt. (minor final check) and figure out if I need to focus on LV or S. L.'s. Take care.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM

75 posts, read 52,050 times
I recently switched from LVHN to St. Lukes, and have never been happier. While I am willing to bet that ER experiences can be frustrating no matter which hospital you go to, physician experiences between the two have been like going to heaven after being in hell. I could write a book filled with complaints about LVHN, but after putting up with similar experiences like you have described here (and worse) after nearly four years,I switched to St. Lukes and never looked back. First of all, my doctor is a gem. She was able to diagnose a health problem that has rendered me disabled, after only five visits, and have started me on treatments and medications. She discovered that there was a lot of incorrect information in my medical records from LVHN, so she simply started from scratch and helped me to create an all new health record, based upon the tests she ordered.

If you go on Yelp, you would be shocked at how many complaints there are about LVHN. I hope this helps you to make your decision, but if it were me, I would shop around.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisa12 View Post
I recently switched from LVHN to St. Lukes, and have never been happier. While I am willing to bet that ER experiences can be frustrating no matter which hospital you go to, physician experiences between the two have been like going to heaven after being in hell. I could write a book filled with complaints about LVHN, but after putting up with similar experiences like you have described here (and worse) after nearly four years,I switched to St. Lukes and never looked back. First of all, my doctor is a gem. She was able to diagnose a health problem that has rendered me disabled, after only five visits, and have started me on treatments and medications. She discovered that there was a lot of incorrect information in my medical records from LVHN, so she simply started from scratch and helped me to create an all new health record, based upon the tests she ordered.

If you go on Yelp, you would be shocked at how many complaints there are about LVHN. I hope this helps you to make your decision, but if it were me, I would shop around.
Hey, kalisa12: I use Yelp and BBB a lot. I may have bypassed this due diligence (so glad you mentioned Yelp) because something medically happened that was in need of a quick decision; I can't say I goofed but I know I was really unhappy with the doctor and the hospital.

I saw nothing redeeming about the hospital and I hated the doctor and again, my spouse and I were in fear and speed mode... I'll head this off for any future issues and just know if I have to see a doctor again, I'll go to St. Lukes. I was able to talk to a friend's wife who is an ER nurse at LV yesterday and she rolled her eyes at the doctor I saw and when her husband has a problem, he goes to St. Lukes.

In terms of medical errors, I had a different experience. Each time I saw a doctor, they brought up my records and I also had to review them and make changes (if needed) prior to going then again at the doctor's office when checking in. Since I have a hearing issue, I always was allowed to review (again) my records with the nurse or whomever. Errors weren't there and this kind of redundancy of reviewing records is good.

St. Lukes is it for me. Thanks again.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 PM

75 posts, read 52,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
Hey, kalisa12: I use Yelp and BBB a lot. I may have bypassed this due diligence (so glad you mentioned Yelp) because something medically happened that was in need of a quick decision; I can't say I goofed but I know I was really unhappy with the doctor and the hospital.

I saw nothing redeeming about the hospital and I hated the doctor and again, my spouse and I were in fear and speed mode... I'll head this off for any future issues and just know if I have to see a doctor again, I'll go to St. Lukes. I was able to talk to a friend's wife who is an ER nurse at LV yesterday and she rolled her eyes at the doctor I saw and when her husband has a problem, he goes to St. Lukes.

In terms of medical errors, I had a different experience. Each time I saw a doctor, they brought up my records and I also had to review them and make changes (if needed) prior to going then again at the doctor's office when checking in. Since I have a hearing issue, I always was allowed to review (again) my records with the nurse or whomever. Errors weren't there and this kind of redundancy of reviewing records is good.

St. Lukes is it for me. Thanks again.
So glad I could help! Good luck with your medical needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or