U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2020, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 587 times

Advertisements

I need to desperately find a 2 br 1 bth rental in the Lehigh Valley for myself, my husband & my son. We need to be out of our home within the next week or so & we've been searching for over 4 months now. Everyone runs a credit check but the big problem is they all want you to be making 3x the monthly rental amt per month take home. I have no problem making an $875/mo payment but we do not make 2600 per month take home. My previous monthly payment has been $830/mo with zero issues. The income requirements have us at the point where we are looking into extended stay hotels now, and some shelters. I've never been homeless in my entire life so this is terrifying for us. My son has autism & doesn't quite understand what's going on & his anxiety is through the roof, my husband has health issues & I think this has been making it worse for him. Aside from that there are some nice places but the prices are way too high for us, we just cannot go over $875/mo, some are asking over $1200/mo for a 2 br. Is there maybe parking lots around the Lehigh Valley where people park if they're homeless? I know some cities have them & they are legal once designated, I need some kind of backup since it looks as though we aren't going to have anywhere to go.

We have been fighting our mortgage company in court for 4 years. Our bank in March of 2015 began to take everyone single one of our monthly mortgage payments and they misapplied them to the wrong month to the wrong year and in the wrong amount(s), which made current months appear unpaid. In April of 2016 we made the next scheduled mortgage payment but they told us they could not accept that check or anymore payments from us. For 2 weeks we went back & forth with them trying to figure out what happened & what the problem was, then they said they would no longer work with us & took us to court. I provided the court all the copies of the checks showing our payments for the months they claimed we didn't pay, those checks show the bank endorsing & cashing those payments. However the bank only showed the court March 2015 through April 2016 and that showed no payments because they misapplied those payments. Basically we paid every month & they foreclosed on us. The judge sided with the bank regardless of my proof, HOW that can happen is beyond me & I've been unable to hire an attorney because all lawyers we went to wanted hundreds or thousands of dollars up front lump sum, which I could not do. The sheriff auctioned off our home on Feb 7th. The deed should transfer over to the new owner any day now. I never once defaulted on my mortgage, I paid every month, and it was stolen from us due to mortgage servicing fraud. I am angry, sad, depressed, and beyond livid. I'm also terrified because we cannot find anywhere to go. I looked into section 8, they have a long waiting list, I tried local charities & churches & other places,no luck. Friends & family are unable to house us. I have no idea what else to do or where else to go. I have tried to even get my story out there to the local newspapers & news stations, no luck. I'm scared to death we will wind upon the street. My husband is 10 yrs away from retirement age, I'm not far behind him, we're just tired & scared. If anyone sees any rental properties of which do not require the prospective tenant to be bringing in 3x the rental amount please PLEASE pass it this way. I don't know what else to do anymore or where else to go for help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 06:00 AM

5,726 posts, read 10,460,968 times
I can't speak from experience about any of these organizations but HUD maintains a list of housing advocacy groups in Pennsylvania.

Approved Housing Counseling Agencies

Old 03-08-2020, 10:26 AM

607 posts, read 396,281 times
Why not get a 1 bed 1 bath and use the living room/common area as a bedroom? Then it'd be at $600/mo. instead of $875/mo. Are there usually provisions in the lease agreement against using a living room/common area as a bedroom? In my experience landlords care about tenants paying their rent on time, and tenants following the lease agreement/rules. Keep searching for a landlord whom you can convince your promise to fulfill these two requirements. Maybe you can negotiate a waiver of the income requirement by paying an additional amount of rent per month or up front?

Old 05-24-2020, 12:30 PM

75 posts, read 53,896 times
Any luck yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or