Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 07:53 AM

57 posts, read 112,812 times

Advertisements

After Bieber stops their business, is there currently any bus between Philly and Bethlehem/Allentown?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Bieber stopped running in Februrary of last year. Transbridge added some buses and took over their routes and at the beginning I thought they said they would take over their Philly routes, but looking here https://transbridgelines.com/choose-your-route I only see East -West routes to NYC or the airports. Ourbus also added some routes but again, I don't see any going to Philadelphia. There's one on Jan 20, but not sure why. https://www.ourbus.com/routes Greyhound still runs, but I haven't ever used them and doesn't look like the routes that Bieber used to take. https://www.greyhound.com/transit

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:21 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
No, I don't believe there is any public transport from the LV to Philly (and the Bieber bus was not good). The NE Extension tolls are also super high and 76 into Philly is a disaster during rush hour.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
No, I don't believe there is any public transport from the LV to Philly (and the Bieber bus was not good). The NE Extension tolls are also super high and 76 into Philly is a disaster during rush hour.
But those tolls are much less than the ones into Manhattan, same with the traffic and yet we have two commuter buses going that way. AND, in Southern Lehigh County we have more people that commute to Philly than to NYC. When the Bieber bus was running, the buses were often full so I know there's a need.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 7,169 times
Greyhound only i think.

Old 01-16-2020, 08:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But those tolls are much less than the ones into Manhattan, same with the traffic and yet we have two commuter buses going that way. AND, in Southern Lehigh County we have more people that commute to Philly than to NYC. When the Bieber bus was running, the buses were often full so I know there's a need.
Agree, there is certainly a need and I would have loved a bus when commuting to Philly.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 AM

409 posts, read 369,810 times
Lehigh Valley should be advocates of high speed rail. Imagine what would happen to property values if you could access Philadelphia in 20 minutes, or NYC in a half hour.

Old 01-24-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Lehigh Valley should be advocates of high speed rail. Imagine what would happen to property values if you could access Philadelphia in 20 minutes, or NYC in a half hour.
Pretty sure you're beating a dead horse there. Most of the old rail lines have been turned into trails for recreational use.

Realtors, See This.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 AM

409 posts, read 369,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Pretty sure you're beating a dead horse there. Most of the old rail lines have been turned into trails for recreational use.
The old rails wouldn't be adequate for high speed trains anyway. It would need to be new construction.

Existing right-of-way still extends from Lehigh Valley to NYC, including current NJ Transit tracks. To me, this is ripe for some type of partnership between PA and NJ, but I don't know how well the two states would play together on that.

Finding right-of-way all the way to Philadelphia would be more of a challenge, but I would be shocked if it was impossible. If all else fails, there's eminent domain.

Old 02-04-2020, 05:54 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
To me, this is ripe for some type of partnership between PA and NJ, but I don't know how well the two states would play together on that.
It's not that the two states can't cooperate. They understand that the Atlantic City railroad line can't terminate in Pensauken NJ, it has to go to 30th street station in Philadelphia to be viable.

But if you look at the Raritan Valley Line which was extended five stations to the west to include North Branch to High Bridge, there is almost no significant ridership on these stations. Although government officials would like to extend it to Phillipsburg, the ridership would be so low that the per person cost would be ridiculous.

You won't get the states to cooperate on a money losing proposition like commuter rail service to the Lehigh Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley