Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 04:26 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Mod cut -Please note that this post was created in April 2020 - right when stores were first opened after the COVID shutdown

We drove from the Poconos to Allentown to our closest Omaha Steaks Store. Are we allowed to drive intra state? Husband called the store few days ago to find out their hours.

We got there today 15 minutes after the store was "opened". Locked door with employees inside. Sign said telephone order ONLY for pick up. Had a table outside. We knocked on window showing us calling on our cell phones. Nothing. We got message on the phone, "I (WHO IS I?) cannot get to phone, leave your name and number and "I" will get back to you. We did this for over an hour standing outside store. Nothing. Left and drove back to Poconos.

I called their 800 number when I got home. Told them what happened. "This is not representative of us, especially not answering the phone with OMAHA STEAKS." I placed my order online and they gave me Free Shipping because of my unpleasant experience.

Stay locked up in your OWN HOME! Well, after this I certainly don't want to go to Allentown ever again. Works both ways. Take down that sign on the highway "Welcome to the Pocono Mountains"

What a horrible Society we are creating with all this Fear and Panic.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-05-2022 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 02:04 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We drove from the Poconos to Allentown to our closest Omaha Steaks Store. Are we allowed to drive intra state? Husband called the store few days ago to find out their hours.

We got there today 15 minutes after the store was "opened". Locked door with employees inside. Sign said telephone order ONLY for pick up. Had a table outside. We knocked on window showing us calling on our cell phones. Nothing. We got message on the phone, "I (WHO IS I?) cannot get to phone, leave your name and number and "I" will get back to you. We did this for over an hour standing outside store. Nothing. Left and drove back to Poconos.

I called their 800 number when I got home. Told them what happened. "This is not representative of us, especially not answering the phone with OMAHA STEAKS." I placed my order online and they gave me Free Shipping because of my unpleasant experience.

Stay locked up in your OWN HOME! Well, after this I certainly don't want to go to Allentown ever again. Works both ways. Take down that sign on the highway "Welcome to the Pocono Mountains"

What a horrible Society we are creating with all this Fear and Panic.
That was a bad experience and I bet you were frustrated, but I don't think you should condemn a city because of that. I didn't even know there was an Omaha Steaks in Allentown. In fact, I thought they were a mail/online store only. Just looked it up and see it's up by the airport. You really can't dis Allentown - that's miles away from the city proper. You went to a strip mall near the airport..... I'm glad you got free shipping and hope the drive was a nice one.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:08 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That was a bad experience and I bet you were frustrated, but I don't think you should condemn a city because of that. I didn't even know there was an Omaha Steaks in Allentown. In fact, I thought they were a mail/online store only. Just looked it up and see it's up by the airport. You really can't dis Allentown - that's miles away from the city proper. You went to a strip mall near the airport..... I'm glad you got free shipping and hope the drive was a nice one.
I actually LIKE Allentown, but I won't let this one experience stop me from ever visiting Allentown at least in the future when this lockdown BS goes away, that one business notwithstanding. We have family on LI. From now on will go there to Omaha Steaks instead.

I wonder if it was because we have an out of state area code that they weren't answering our phone? Area codes mean nothing. We haven't changed our phone number in 13 years living in two other states.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:56 AM

77 posts, read 101,320 times
Please consider using local butchers or grocery shops if possible. You'll likely find the prices and quality better. Meat that has to be packed and shipped is by necessity usually loaded with preservatives. The local folks could really use a boost right now, and the big chains will be fine (especially since they looted the "small business" grant/loan program as Ruth Chris and others just did).

Old 12-12-2020, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 6,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
Please consider using local butchers or grocery shops if possible. You'll likely find the prices and quality better. Meat that has to be packed and shipped is by necessity usually loaded with preservatives. The local folks could really use a boost right now, and the big chains will be fine (especially since they looted the "small business" grant/loan program as Ruth Chris and others just did).
I found a super butcher in White Hall on MacArthur - Kotsch's. They've been around since 1954. I agree. I'm trying to buy local only.

They had masks on. The store was clean. I talked to the owner about the history and the store is doing fine in these ghastly time. Prices for meats are great and the quality is good. They also will cut meats for dehydrating (it's a pain for me to do) and they do it for free.

I don't go into stores that don't have "masks must be worn" sign on windows. I walk out when people in the stores are massless (includes wearing a mask below the nose).

Old 12-12-2020, 01:58 PM

721 posts, read 597,690 times
Sounds like you're mad about a lot of things. I'm sorry about the steaks. Sorry about the frustration and the unanswered calls. But, really, this is a political post. It could be Allentown, it could be any other random place. It could be Omaha Steaks, it could be any retail business. I'm sure you're disappointed and wished you hadn't made the drive for nothing. That is frustrating. And, still, sorry for the destructive feelings you're holding within yourself... and, well, trying to direct outward with posts like this.

For anyone reading it, good example why in these times it would be wise to call ahead in any case, just to confirm a place is open, hours of opening, service available. Probably good to expect things may not be totally predictable right now.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:32 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We drove from the Poconos to Allentown to our closest Omaha Steaks Store.
Omaha Steaks store is located in Hanover Township, Lehigh county.

As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 1,571, down from 1,913 at the 2000 census. Hanover Township is a suburb of Allentown and Bethlehem, in the Lehigh Valley region of the state. Hanover Township is best known as the home of Lehigh Valley International Airport, which serves the Lehigh Valley and surrounding areas.

But your complaint really has nothing to do with the municipality involved

Old 03-25-2021, 11:55 AM

307 posts, read 223,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totally_fried View Post
I found a super butcher in White Hall on MacArthur - Kotsch's. They've been around since 1954. I agree. I'm trying to buy local only.

They had masks on. The store was clean. I talked to the owner about the history and the store is doing fine in these ghastly time. Prices for meats are great and the quality is good. They also will cut meats for dehydrating (it's a pain for me to do) and they do it for free.

I don't go into stores that don't have "masks must be worn" sign on windows. I walk out when people in the stores are massless (includes wearing a mask below the nose).
I'm picky as can be. The first time I went to Kotsch's, it was amazing. I got the history and that was really interesting (they've been around since 1954.) They were masked. The store was clean. The price on London Broil (for jerky) is the best. Yay! They do cut beef for jerky for free. (I love the bakery next door to them, too.)

I had been going to Valley Farms in Bethlehem but most people behind the butcher stand didn't have masks on, wore them below their schnoze (so didn't wear them), and a guy without a mask was at customer service - too close to me. I haven't been back and that was about 1.5 years ago.

Old 02-20-2022, 07:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereamiF0 View Post
It's actually following the science and science and what businesses do are at odds.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I've done the same thing pre-covid and
during covid. More issues pop up and they just don't always have a process in place
to handle pandemic issues.

Allentown for me has been great. NYC's better but Allentown has parks, culture,
lovely diversity, fairs, football, and everything for me but good transportation to
NYC with easy access.

If I stopped going to the Poconos due to one bad experience, I'd never go back.
I've been there many times over many decades.
You might not have noticed that this post is from early COVID times in 2020.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-20-2022, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 15,123 times
Grew up in Allentown, never heard of Omaha Steaks.

I did have a bad experience at a restaurant in the Poconos once. Should I write off ever going to the Poconos again?

I think city-data would probably be more aptly used as a platform to discuss different areas in the US in detail. If you want to just leave a bad restaurant review, maybe submit your complaint to that restaurant's Google or Yelp page instead of submitting it on a discussion board for the city that restaurant was in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley