Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 4,482 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I live in the Poconos in Pike. I want to move down to Northampton to be within a decent time frame of Allentown/Bethlehem for medical reasons and lots of docs there. Less than an hour.

Also, we are horse owners and there arent any barns up here and its short on all things equestrian. We have young kids so good schools is a must. Low crime. We are fine with rural and dont care about night life. We like our bear, deer and snow lol. We live in a town of 1,000 right now. Although I would like to be within 15 minutes of a few stores, if possible. And kids activities like gymnastics and dance and football. Our budget is about 400,000. Possibly more if there is house with more acreage and can get the clean and green program. Id like a minimum of 2 acres in case I need my horse on my property. More if possible. But a local barn near my home is optimal for now.We are older with a pension so employment and commuting is not an issue. Conservative and Catholic.

How are Moore Twp, Lehigh Twp, Danielsville and Bath?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 01:27 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
I'm originally from that area (Moore Township), though I haven't lived there for 20 years. I think the area would fit what you need, the question is the rural aspect more important or is the access to kids' activities more important. If you live close to the Blue Mountain (i.e. Point Phillip, Danielsville, Berlinsville, areas in between, or even a little west of Wind Gap in Bushkill Township), you'll definitely get your wildlife opportunities. If being a little closer to Allentown/Bethlehem is more important, places like Bath or somewhere near PA 329 (which is south of Moore and Lehigh Townships) would work well, though if you live near Berlinsville you'll be near Walnutport/Slatington and fairly close to Palmerton and Lehighton, if you live near Danielsville you'll be near Palmerton, and if you live in eastern Moore/Bushkill Township you'll be near Nazareth and Wind Gap. You'll also be fairly close to PA 33 and PA 512, which provide easy access to US 22. All of those towns have various stores (as does Bath if one is talking about a supermarket).

I can't really speak about the schools in the area, but I suspect Northampton School District (which covers Lehigh and Moore Townships, as well as Bath, East Allen Township, and Allen Township) would be no worse than the schools you are familiar with in Pike County and honestly is probably better. Nazareth SD (which covers Bushkill Township) is probably comparable to Northampton SD. There are probably better school districts in the region, but those districts are probably located in the higher density suburban areas.

Incidentally there are quite a few Catholic churches in the area. (I was a member of one when I was growing up.)

Old 06-12-2020, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 4,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I'm originally from that area (Moore Township), though I haven't lived there for 20 years. I think the area would fit what you need, the question is the rural aspect more important or is the access to kids' activities more important. If you live close to the Blue Mountain (i.e. Point Phillip, Danielsville, Berlinsville, areas in between, or even a little west of Wind Gap in Bushkill Township), you'll definitely get your wildlife opportunities. If being a little closer to Allentown/Bethlehem is more important, places like Bath or somewhere near PA 329 (which is south of Moore and Lehigh Townships) would work well, though if you live near Berlinsville you'll be near Walnutport/Slatington and fairly close to Palmerton and Lehighton, if you live near Danielsville you'll be near Palmerton, and if you live in eastern Moore/Bushkill Township you'll be near Nazareth and Wind Gap. You'll also be fairly close to PA 33 and PA 512, which provide easy access to US 22. All of those towns have various stores (as does Bath if one is talking about a supermarket).

I can't really speak about the schools in the area, but I suspect Northampton School District (which covers Lehigh and Moore Townships, as well as Bath, East Allen Township, and Allen Township) would be no worse than the schools you are familiar with in Pike County and honestly is probably better. Nazareth SD (which covers Bushkill Township) is probably comparable to Northampton SD. There are probably better school districts in the region, but those districts are probably located in the higher density suburban areas.

Incidentally there are quite a few Catholic churches in the area. (I was a member of one when I was growing up.)
Thanks Chip. That gives me lots of info. I appreciate it. I think I want to be more west in the county so its more rural.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:55 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
In general, the suburban/rural factor in northwestern Northampton County is determined on a north/south dimension, i.e. how close you are to the Blue Mountain and how far you are from Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton, rather than an east/west dimension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley