U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 1,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,
In Pennsylvania, I understand that you can live in Philadelphia very, very well without a car. What about the Lehigh Valley? Are there any places in the Lehigh Valley that you can live well without needing a car? My main necessity is to have a grocery store nearby. I work remotely (from home).
Thank you,
Henry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 07:25 PM

370 posts, read 394,928 times
Highly doubtful. Even in downtown Easton you will need a car for things.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:16 PM

12,855 posts, read 29,284,600 times
I don't know anyone that doesn't have a car. I know someone that tried it and was able to use a bike and public transit for about a year, but it was really problematic. Maybe you can make it work. Here's the public transit option: https://www.lantabus.com/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

249 posts, read 164,333 times
As a person living car-free in Philadelphia (and having resided the Lehigh Valley a number of years ago), I’ll add my perspective. The answer to your question really comes down to what you define as “living well”.

Philadelphia offers the best opportunity within the entirety of Pennsylvania—and arguably among the top few locations in the United States—to live a car-free existence with the least compromise. An important piece of making that a reality is that Philadelphia has a critical mass of people in all income brackets—including middle class and affluent residents—who choose to live in the city because of that walkability and transit availability. As a result, nearly everything from grocery stores to luxury shopping to doctor’s offices is a short walk or transit ride away.

Though I am an avid visitor to and admirer of Pennsylvania’s second largest city as well, my impression is that Pittsburgh trails Philadelphia by a noticeable margin in “car free without compromise” category. But even so, I’d say that you can still live reasonably well in Pittsburgh without a car; the compromises are just a bit greater.

Then (with apologies to Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells), I’d place the rest of Pennsylvania’s cities under the heading “And the Rest”. Some clearly fare better than others, and they excel in different areas. Most of Pennsylvania’s smaller cities have a reasonably bustling and walkable downtown business district with restaurants and specialty shops. Among Lehigh Valley cities, I’d likely put Bethlehem first in that regard. So if dining out is a top priority, you could find a nearby apartment have plenty of options within walking distance. You may have a farmers market within a reasonable distance, but getting to a traditional full-line supermarket or a general merchandise store may be more challenging. This may matter less to you if you can get household necessities delivered, so you may want to consider the availability of delivery services at the addresses you’re considering.

All of the above assumes that you’re able to continue working from home (as you mentioned). But then you’re really committed to keeping that job or another work-from-home situation and would likely be in a bind if you needed to find in-person work locally. As a whole, the Lehigh Valley is a region of suburban office parks, suburban shopping centers, and suburban industrial facilities.

Again, that’s not to say you couldn’t carefully carve out a niche in the right place and under the right circumstances. And who knows, that niche might even be the ideal situation for you, a life you look forward to living every day. But just go in with the expectation that it will indeed be a carefully crafted niche and potentially difficult to adapt as your life evolves.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,465,952 times
I'm in the Harrisburg area w/o a car. It ain't easy as Pittsburgh or Philly or even Allentown(Lanta runs Sundays on several routes), but it can be done. I don't usually go out on Sundays and my job is usually during the week on the 1st shift.

You're at an advantage since you work from home. If you're on a bus line and the stores are also on a bus line it can work. but you gotta know the schedules. Check the link posted above.

Old Today, 07:20 AM

3,512 posts, read 2,406,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterfanatic View Post
Hello,
In Pennsylvania, I understand that you can live in Philadelphia very, very well without a car. What about the Lehigh Valley? Are there any places in the Lehigh Valley that you can live well without needing a car? My main necessity is to have a grocery store nearby. I work remotely (from home).
Thank you,
Henry
I live in Emmaus. I no longer have a car. Bus 104 goes from Emmaus, through the south side (S. 4th St.) of Allentown, to the Lehigh Valley Mall. When I need to go grocery shopping, 104 takes me to the Giant on Emaus Ave. We can also go to Weis's at the end of the end of the bus run on Chestnut St. Emmaus.
When I need to go to doctor's appointments, I make an appointment with the van - but you have to be signed up to do that.
Since my family members live in the Coplay-Northampton, area, when I want to see them, 104 takes me to the L.V. Mall. If I go there on weekdays, I can either take 103 or 325 to get closer. If I go on weekends, they can pick me up at the Mall.
If you go to the Lanta website, you can see all of the other places where the buses go in either Lehigh or Northampton Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or