Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 11:45 PM

28 posts, read 12,759 times

Advertisements

With real estate being so expensive now and not wanting to move to a 55+ community, we are thinking about keeping our 3200 sq ft, 15 yr old home in the suburban Lehigh Valley area in a very desirable development and school district and want to update the interior. Would like to turn it into our forever home by converting a rarely used Living room & Dining room into a beautiful 1st floor master bedroom and full shower stall bathroom to create first floor living. 4 bedrooms upstairs with a spacious master suite. (Our family and grands always come to visit our family home which is why it’s dear to us!) We have a large eat in kitchen that flows into a spacious family room. There is a study across the foyer from the living room, that can be converted to a midsize dining room or flex room.
~My concerns: Are there families out there who would find this floor plan attractive? Especially if you are looking to have elderly parents moving in, older kids having to come back home, or planning for your own future retirement needs on a first floor while accommodating family and friends upstairs?
~ Just trying to weigh this renovation as it would do away with a formal dining room…however there is room in the kitchen for dining.
~ Thoughts about this possible floor plan, please? Thank you so
much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 08:38 PM

566 posts, read 573,661 times
I would like it. I don't see the point of formal dining and living areas so that idea would be more appealing to me. I wouldn't do away with the office space though. I would allow that to remain an office.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I would like it. I don't see the point of formal dining and living areas so that idea would be more appealing to me. I wouldn't do away with the office space though. I would allow that to remain an office.
Seriously considering the first floor master suite & bath! Lined up several contractors to come through for the feasibility and an estimate of the conversion. Doing this we can have roomy first floor living.

Last edited by marilujo; 11-08-2021 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 11-09-2021, 07:46 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I'd ask this question in the Real Estate forum.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:49 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
I agree with ringler, plus I'll add that if this is going to be your forever home, you shouldn't really worry about whether or not it will sell easily. That chore will fall to your heirs (blunt, but true). Make the home livable and enjoyable for you!

Old 11-11-2021, 12:03 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
This is a good idea. I have a load of family in the Houston metro area and most of them are living in houses built in the last 15 years. These houses all have a master suite on the first floor. One of them is a RE agent and almost every 2 story house she lists is set-up this way.

We want to stay in our current house for retirement so we just went though the exercise of getting a master suite addition approved. The estimates for building were prohibitive and absurd. We are going to have to move to find what we want.

Old 11-14-2021, 08:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I think it's an excellent idea. I know a few people that made the formal living room into an office or a bedroom, but it's adding the full bath that makes this livable. A house two doors down from us sold for hundreds of thousands more to a couple from Long Island who moved here to be closer to their family. That house had the first floor bedroom layout. When my husband and I think of aging here, not having a full bath on the main floor is my big concern.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Thank you…giving so much more thought to this!

Old 11-18-2021, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This is a good idea. I have a load of family in the Houston metro area and most of them are living in houses built in the last 15 years. These houses all have a master suite on the first floor. One of them is a RE agent and almost every 2 story house she lists is set-up this way.

We want to stay in our current house for retirement so we just went though the exercise of getting a master suite addition approved. The estimates for building were prohibitive and absurd. We are going to have to move to find what we want.
So much to think about! I hope you find what you want out there to retire comfortably in!

Last edited by marilujo; 11-18-2021 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-18-2021, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think it's an excellent idea. I know a few people that made the formal living room into an office or a bedroom, but it's adding the full bath that makes this livable. A house two doors down from us sold for hundreds of thousands more to a couple from Long Island who moved here to be closer to their family. That house had the first floor bedroom layout. When my husband and I think of aging here, not having a full bath on the main floor is my big concern.
I appreciate your input! The ability to have a first floor master bath is very important. If we couldn’t make that happen, would seriously consider moving…if hope we could what we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
View detailed profiles of: