Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,462,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
You could move to the section where Bethlehem and Allentown meet, nice homes in that area, or the west side of Bethlehem is very nice, grew up there, my whole family is still there. Nothing really changes and the neighborhoods are nice. Allentown is not a big city by any stretch of the imagination and where you will be is on the edges of the city anyway.
What's the deal with having to be so close to the city? You can easily get to whatever it is you desire there from most nearby towns. I used to live in Coplay and the travel was no prob.

As far as the Allentown/Bethlehem border,I dunno it looks kinda shady on the border there especially Union Bl/Tilghman St...

I still say west Allentown is the best,especially near the Cedarcrest area. Lotta traffic yes,but really nice neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,075,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
What's the deal with having to be so close to the city? You can easily get to whatever it is you desire there from most nearby towns. I used to live in Coplay and the travel was no prob.

As far as the Allentown/Bethlehem border,I dunno it looks kinda shady on the border there especially Union Bl/Tilghman St...

I still say west Allentown is the best,especially near the Cedarcrest area. Lotta traffic yes,but really nice neighborhoods.
I did not say she had to live in the city, I really don't consider Allentown much of a city, but Midway Manor, Kelchner Estates, Pinehurst Road, etc are not at all shady. Not sure where you are driving. Tilghman Street is nowhere near Bethlehem, it is on the other side of the River.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 AM

242 posts, read 836,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn1207 View Post
Where does West Allentown start???
marilyn1207
The city itself defines it as 15th (so does the MLS) street but I would say more like 19th street.

Hope that helps.

Jeff

Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvivian View Post
marilyn1207
The city itself defines it as 15th (so does the MLS) street but I would say more like 19th street.

Hope that helps.

Jeff
Around the Farmer's Market or so. My aunts used to live at 13th and Chew and that area is starting to see a comeback, but it was pretty run down for a while. Was great in the 60s and 70s, three stories, five bedrooms, porch living, wide sidewalks for roller skating. Place still had a coal furnace, so that was interesting. I have a fondness for Allentown even though I was from Bethlehem

Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM

242 posts, read 836,153 times
Quote:
Around the Farmer's Market or so. My aunts used to live at 13th and Chew and that area is starting to see a comeback, but it was pretty run down for a while. Was great in the 60s and 70s, three stories, five bedrooms, porch living, wide sidewalks for roller skating. Place still had a coal furnace, so that was interesting. I have a fondness for Allentown even though I was from Bethlehem
I like the west end area....I have my eye on some things to gobble up good investment properties.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,462,442 times
I get it...Farmer's Market...gobble up...

Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,125,156 times
Quote:
You could move to the section where Bethlehem and Allentown meet, nice homes in that area, or the west side of Bethlehem is very nice, grew up there, my whole family is still there. Nothing really changes and the neighborhoods are nice. Allentown is not a big city by any stretch of the imagination and where you will be is on the edges of the city anyway. It is a great place to live. They have great libraries, lots of colleges, festivals all the time, the best food in the country and all kinds of it, close to NY and Philadelphia for sports, high school and college sports are well attended. It is a great place really. You will be about an hour's drive to Tobeyhanna for a very small commissary last I was there (but it might have changed), but you can go to Fort Dix in NJ for a great big one if you want. There is very very little military in the area and the people at the banks will look at your Mil ID funny, but they get used to it. And goooood luck to your husband on his recruiting, the toughest job in the Army!

"Best food in the country." What?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
"Best food in the country." What?
Having lived all over the place, the pizza, the steak sandwiches, the hotdogs, the german food, the syrian food, the italian food, the hungarian food, etc cannot be found. My kids never lived in PA for more than a month or so, and they still go back and have great meals. When you get to live in small town America or suburban developments, you learn to love the food that comes from restaurants in houses and old hotels.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,125,156 times
Im sure there are other places.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Im sure there are other places.
There are great places, just you guys have a very wide variety and actually have a good sampling of what the rest of the country has. The Allentown farmer's market is one of the best in the country and I have been to the ones in Charleston, the French Market in New Orleans, the Virginia markets in Hampton Roads, the Embarcadero in SF, the Mercado in San Antonio etc. I won't move back to the valley because I am not fond of the weather, but having been all over the place and back, the Lehigh Valley has a good standard of living overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley