U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2008, 07:08 PM
 
13 posts, read 33,017 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this little town? Is it a great place to live? If not, why? Anyone live there that can point out the pros and cons? Thanks so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
 
619 posts, read 2,020,266 times
Reputation: 345
Well...I suppose it depends upon what you are looking for.

I moved here 6 months ago from NJ. I have things I really like and things I am trying hard to get used to. It won't be our forever home.

Do you have young kids? Are you a retiree? Are you looking to buy in one of the new communities, or in one of the more rural older areas? Despite being small, I think that these distinctions would significantly impact how you might "see" Williams township...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 10:15 PM
 
102 posts, read 417,896 times
Reputation: 28
I agree that it really does depend on what you are looking for.

We've been here close to 2 years now into a new community. We also moved from NJ (Princeton area), and we enjoy the rural setting here.

In terms of the township itself there really isn't much going on here. Pretty much everything requires a 10 minute drive to downtown Easton, 25th St or Hellertown depending on the direction. Not that 10 min is excessive, but there are other townships in the LV where shopping places are more accessible.

Most of my neighbors were from the NY, NJ area also, and one of the comments I hear most is how rural the area is. This is both a positive and negative to them, where it's nice to have the peace and quiet, but they say its eerily dark and quiet at night. To me it's kind of obvious, but I guess people used to city life takes some time to adjust.

If you're looking for a quiet rural setting, I don't think you will be disappointed. But if you like to go to town, want really convenient access to grocery stores and shopping malls, maybe somewhere like Wilson, Palmer, Hellertown, or Saucon Valley would appeal more. I feel all those places still have that rural/suburban feeling but is a little more populated and has a bit more going on.

All in all, we are very happy here

mczabe, just out of curiosity, what are you having trouble getting used to here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 06:36 AM
 
13 posts, read 33,017 times
Reputation: 16
We have two children, 13 and 4 (one on the way). We are used to driving a distance (10 minutes) to shopping, entertainment, so that is not a problem at all. We would just like to live in a development that has other kids in ti so that the kids will have some other kids to play with. We have not been there for our house hunting trip, yet, but would love to know if there is a subdivision that you guys know of that has lots of kids and newer homes? We have looked at Country Inn estates, but not sure about kids there. Are the grocery stores in Easton? How are the schools there? Thanks so much for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
 
102 posts, read 417,896 times
Reputation: 28
Unfortunately I can't really comment on whether or not a development has kids for any development but our own. From what I can tell (I live right at the bus stop) there are probably 10 families with elementary school kids, maybe half of that for middle school kids, and then maybe a couple high school kids (the community has about 50 homes, so I'd say 40% or so have kids). Whether they play together, I don't have a clue.

From what I've heard the school district is decent. Most people are ok with it that it's not the Easton Area School District, but the Wilson Area one, so people say that's much better.

The closest grocery stores (Giant, Weis, and a little further Wegmans) would be in the Wilson/Palmer areas of Easton, not downtown, so if you're concerned about safety or anything like that, I think it's a non-issue. If you're looking at the Country Inn Estates area, you are much closer to Wilson/Palmer than we are, so you can probably get there in like 5 min, so that's very convenient. Our development is down by the river close to Rt 611 and Raubsville Rd, so it's another 5 min SE of where you are looking.

Hope that helps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 06:21 PM
 
619 posts, read 2,020,266 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiroll View Post


mczabe, just out of curiosity, what are you having trouble getting used to here?
A few things...but they are oddly more important to me than I would have suspected.

I miss walkable downtowns.

I miss being 5 minutes from things. Now, everything is 15-20 minutes away - which shouldn't be that big a difference, but it is.

I miss having grocery delivery.

I miss having upscale department stores - not that I bought much in them, but I do like to look, and the shopping in the overall area is pretty - oh, what's the right word...it's adequate, but not exciting.

I miss being close to a major airport.

There are some great things about this area, but moving here has helped me clarify my own "must-haves" list for my personal "best place to live." It's been a learning experience - a good one, please don't get me wrong!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 06:40 PM
 
619 posts, read 2,020,266 times
Reputation: 345
Also...

No public pools in the town and every time I take my kids to parks in the overall area, there are NO other kids there. At first I thought it was just because winter was coming, but throughout the spring, the parks remain pretty much empty - which is so odd to me because where I used to live the parks were just filled with kids (and other moms to meet!).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 09:38 PM
 
102 posts, read 417,896 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
A few things...but they are oddly more important to me than I would have suspected.

I miss walkable downtowns.

I miss being 5 minutes from things. Now, everything is 15-20 minutes away - which shouldn't be that big a difference, but it is.

I miss having grocery delivery.

I miss having upscale department stores - not that I bought much in them, but I do like to look, and the shopping in the overall area is pretty - oh, what's the right word...it's adequate, but not exciting.

I miss being close to a major airport.

There are some great things about this area, but moving here has helped me clarify my own "must-haves" list for my personal "best place to live." It's been a learning experience - a good one, please don't get me wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Also...

No public pools in the town and every time I take my kids to parks in the overall area, there are NO other kids there. At first I thought it was just because winter was coming, but throughout the spring, the parks remain pretty much empty - which is so odd to me because where I used to live the parks were just filled with kids (and other moms to meet!).
I see what you mean. An additional 10~15 minutes ends up being an additional half hour round trip, so it definitely does limit what you can do in a certain amount of time.

Where in NJ did you used to live in? To me, things like upscale department stores and major airports haven't changed much since I came from the Princeton area. Newark used to be 50 minutes from Princeton, now its 1 hour. Same for the upscale malls.

If you used to be closer to the city, I can definitely see why it is hard to get used to. My brother has lived in Manhattan since college, and he won't even come out to my area over the holidays to visit us because he thinks its so boring! You definitely get spoiled to the convenience of being close to the city, but for people like me I think here is fairly normal.

I'm sorry to hear about the parks and pools and activities in general for your kids. I guess this is what the original poster was asking when it came to kids activities and being able to play with each other, etc. I do agree though that other than the local little league playing games once in a while, the park by Raubsville is always empty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM
 
619 posts, read 2,020,266 times
Reputation: 345
Most recently I lived in Scotch Plains. I've also lived in Basking Ridge and Westfield - so I'm used to being 15 minutes away from the Short Hills Mall, 30 minutes away from Newark Airport, and 1 hour from NYC.

I guess that most homes here have enough property so that kids tend to play on their own swing sets (or play structures, I think they are called now). Although in my old neighborhood, we all had great yards and still walked to the park almost every day.

Doesn't look like we'll be here much longer, so I do value the experience very much. It's really helped me figure out what I treasured about my "home" towns and what I like in my new home - slower pace of life, more open areas, WAY lower insurance rates...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 12:31 AM
 
102 posts, read 417,896 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Most recently I lived in Scotch Plains. I've also lived in Basking Ridge and Westfield - so I'm used to being 15 minutes away from the Short Hills Mall, 30 minutes away from Newark Airport, and 1 hour from NYC.

I guess that most homes here have enough property so that kids tend to play on their own swing sets (or play structures, I think they are called now). Although in my old neighborhood, we all had great yards and still walked to the park almost every day.

Doesn't look like we'll be here much longer, so I do value the experience very much. It's really helped me figure out what I treasured about my "home" towns and what I like in my new home - slower pace of life, more open areas, WAY lower insurance rates...
Definitely it's a big difference here than in those areas you have lived previously.

The Mall at Short Hills is probably one of the top 3 shopping malls in terms of department store lineup of high end stores within a 100 mile radius. Lehigh Valley Mall definitely isn't going to cut it if you're used to Short Hills, lol.

Hopefully you can find a new place that combines all or most of the things you are looking for, and most importantly a great environment that you feel is appropriate for your kids. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top