Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM

99 posts, read 310,104 times

Advertisements

I posted this on the north east PA forum so why not this one...

Northeast.PA vs Southeast.PA lets hear it folks.....Seriously I dont want to see an online brawl or hissing match over this, just want to see peoples perspectives that live in one of the areas or know both of them well...looking for the pros and cons for a young couple with kids...schools,cost of living, and weather all fit into the equation. THANKS!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I feel that we here in the Lehigh Valley are sort of in-between both areas. Part of that is because of the media coverage. The Philadelphia tv news channels sort of cover us, but usually for tragedies or weather. The Philadelphia Inquirer is even worse. The coverage pretty much stops at the Bucks county line. But sports wise, this is still Eagles territory, especially with the Eagles having their Summer camp here at Lehigh University.

But, that's not really your question, is it? We've lived in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and now Lehigh County. Lehigh is by far my favorite but I enjoyed the others as well. Totally subjective, but we've found better friends here, there's less sprawl, less shopping opportunities (considering my desires for Costco and Trader Joe's that may seem strange, but it's true) and less traffic. I love getting to work in ten minutes. If it takes 15 minutes, it means I had to wait through the one light.

Schools may not be rated as highly as some in the Philadelphia burbs, but they are good and the kids in general are well traveled and aware of what's going on in the world. In my school district, there isn't as much competitiveness. But perhaps that's just because my kids aren't competing for the Val and Sal spots. There are alot of newcomers here which helps adults make friends as well as kids, but there are also many people that have lived here their whole life and that makes for a nice feeling of traditions. I like that this area surrounds a town with it's own history and that there is a town, not just a collection of McMansions, built for commuting to elsewhere. But, that's jmho.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 PM

Thanks for your input. I must check out your ara one of these days...

Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM

347 posts, read 1,149,423 times
Arrow How about a different thought

Well, if cost of living is an issue and you like the out oors think Schuylkill County, located in the north end of southern PA but better associated with the northeast geographicaly. The county is an hour from Harrisburg and Reading and 2.5 hours from Philadelphia. There are countless acres of public forest lands and miles of trails to hike. The schools are decent. The borough of Tremont, population 1784, boasts several parks, two community centers, seven churches, three eating establishments, a hardware store, two gas stations, a laundromat, a bank, a dentist, a YMCA, two senior centers, a community pool, several stores, a post office, a library, several organizations, a dollar store, a police force, a fire company, a nursing home, a community band, an EMS, several industries, and several hair salons/barber shops. The borough, although aged and past its prime is full of friendly people and chock full of history. visit theses websites for more details.
Tremont Borough Home Page
The Tremont Online News and Directory | Everything You Need To Know
Attached Thumbnails
NORTHEAST PA vs.SOUTHEAST PA-114_2177.jpg  

Last edited by tremontpa; 07-11-2008 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: I forgot something

Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the info, will def.check those places out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley