U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM

2 posts, read 23,334 times

Advertisements

the last time i was in coopersburg was 10/91 when i returned to pinebrook junior college for homecoming weekend. i saw a thread here that had pics but none of them included c-burg. i'm pretty much curious as to what has become of the college and the properties it used to own, i.e.: the soccer field, the "off-campus" houses, etc. i remember there used to be a "mario's pizza" down the block and his only competitor was across the street. 'laneco' was the big retail store on 309 which was across the ballfield our girls softball team played on. the hess station (on 309) provided maaany late night snacks and the diner was reserved for special occasions. a friend used to work at a nursing home (?) in the area; is it still there? i digress but what about the basketball courts near the swimming pool in quakertown and the bus station in allentown? sorry, the memories got the best of me=)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 AM

13,008 posts, read 30,737,784 times
Well! Pinebrook, sadly, has been unoccupied since we've lived here and that will be 11 years next month. There is an empty field across the street that looks park like and the grass is mowed but I've never seen anyone using it. I'm not sure about the off campus houses, because it's surrounded by houses - I guess they are just regular houses now. Mario's Pizza is still on Station and Main Street as is Pronto's pizza across the street from it.

Laneco was bought by Giant about 5 years ago and they put in a small self serve gas only station in that parking lot. In the same shopping center is Ecco Domani, a great Italian restaurant which gives Mario's a run for it's money for pizza business too.

The baseball fields are still there in Living Memorial Park and still used by kids of all ages. The pool is there as well. I go there every Memorial day to hear my kids play in the HS marching band and listen to the local politicians do a speech for the day.

Hess is still there but now there is a Turkey Hill mini-service station on the corner of Station and 309 that has a much larger selection of snacks so Hess get's mostly gas business. Diner is still going strong and my own kids often visit the "Coop" for food with friends. There's another shopping center on the town side of 309 (Hard to believe that hasn't been there for 30 years, it doesn't look new) that has a Weis-Kings grocery store, a CVS, a Mexican and Chinese Restaurant, a liquor store - soon to move a Curves, Realty company, Mail Box etc. place and a Holiday Hair. I stop there every other day to go to Kings.

Here are some local links, some with pictures! - Coopersburg Borough - Community Links (http://www.coopersburgborough.org/community.htm - broken link)
Welcome to Coopersburg, Pennsylvania!
Southern Lehigh Public Library, Center Valley, PA
http://slsd.org/

I don't know about the basketball courts in Quakertown but their park on Mill street is beautiful as is their new library. Welcome to Quakertown, PA (http://www.quakertownboro.com/rec.asp - broken link)

Coopersburg is still a nice small town with many churches and family centered activities but (again sadly) much of the farmland surrounding the town has been turned into housing developments. The good news is that the town itself is well maintained and looks fine. Oh, here is the biggest change - up in Center Valley: Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley If you do a search on this forum with the key word "Coopersburg" you'll see more of my drivel about my adopted hometown.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,364 times
Default Pinebrook Jr. college property

I am a former Pinebrook Jr. College student and we are putting together a reunion and were hoping to find a way to reach the current owners of the property to see if we could use the park next door to the school for the reunion. Does anyone know how I could possibly reach them?

Beth Anne Eagle(Cadmus)

Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
My name is Franklin Harris. I'm also a former student of Pinebroook Junior College. Any other former students please contact me. Mod cut - please do not post e-mail addresses. Use DM feature.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-12-2010 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: deleted e-mail address
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley