Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

Djames, Make sure that you understand the residency requirements also: Residency Policy - Northampton County

The reason your California colleges (2 year and 4 year) are so very popular with Californians is that it's dirt cheap to go there. Not so, with most of our state colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

322 posts, read 1,103,474 times
i always thought that california was a super expensive place to live though....and it is... i live here lol... it's expensive to even get an apartment here...650 dollars for a studio....that's outrageous...lol

the point is i don't care how much it costs ...i just want to get out of california...

sometimes......... you have to be unreasonable and unrealistic, to really truly get what you want out of life.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM

Hey, I don't disagree with you on leaving your home state. I guess I'm questioning you wanting to go across the country for a community college. My oldest child attended college in Illinois and is now living in China. My next oldest attends school in Virginia and will be doing a study abroad in England in the fall. My husband and I have lived in five states, and we did our first move before either of us was 21. Both of us graduated from Community Colleges... BUT, we did so as residents of the states where the colleges were located.

oh, well. Here is the link to dorms and definately where I would stay if I were you to save transportation hassle: On Campus Housing My friends son stayed in the dorms and liked them. The college is in a regular neighborhood setting, not surrounded by apartments or close to the city of Bethlehem.

PS - $650 for a studio apartment sounds high but not outrageous for this area.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djames9 View Post
i totally understand where your coming from... it's a lot of stuff about here i don't like... and plus...ever since i turned 18...my parents have really just let me be free...i mean im living with my friend out here ...but i just don't see opportunity out here.... but out near the NYC- Philly corridor...it just seems a lot more..."happening" you know what i mean.. but yeah ive moved a lot of places in the last 2 years... my dad encourages it....but he hates it when i end up coming back to cali...because he knows there's nothing here for me anymore.... it's kinda that deal... you know.... but yeah 90% of the time....it's not really a great idea... but yeah .... i can't be afraid to take chances...

I just gotta have faith in god that it's gonna work out.....you know.. so to answer your question im not worried at all.

thanks for the links to the various websites in Lehigh valley. man.. i appreciate it.... well yeah thanks again...and god bless take care...
Move to Nevada or Utah. Do not come here. Im working hard to get out of here for good. Im 40 years old. I do not want to be in this pit past 42. I made mistakes and Im stuck here until things are fixed. You are young. Im telling you for the love of God, stay away! Do not come here! Please!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:18 AM

611 posts, read 1,991,190 times
I graduated from NCC. You will get a great education for a reasonable cost. The nice thing about Bethlehem is that it is a clean and beautiful small city. It is also very close to New York City, Philadelphia and The Jersey Shore. You can get an apartment in an old house for $500-600/ month. Car insurance is relatively cheap and the drive to NCC is around 4-5 miles.

loose cannon,
There are roads leading out of Bethlehem. Unless you are in jail you are free to go. So if you are so miserable stop whining and leave.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:21 PM

39 posts, read 128,058 times
Djames....good luck to you. You may see my son at NCC next year. After spending the summer out there with relatives he decided to leave CO and move to Monroe County. He is only 18.

You may want to consider working full time for awhile before you start so you can get in state tuition. The resident policy isn't clear on how long you have to work before being considered in-state.

Anybody have any first hand info on this?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Generally, if you are under 24 years old you must prove that you are an emancipated adult. That means that you not only don't live with your parents but they are not claiming you on their income tax and you are self supporting.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
I apologize for my comment last week. I get in my bitter, crumudgeon, mood sometimes. There is no hiding the fact that Im trying to move, but if people want to come here from other places more power to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley