U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:49 AM

322 posts, read 1,054,872 times

Advertisements

I might be going to college next spring at Northhampton community college, and im wondering like how it's like there living in Bethlehem,pa. How's the Economy out there? is there beautiful scenery? Is it a good place to go for newcomers? are people friendly there? is it a good place for like being a student in college?

anyone let me know...plz... i need the Info.........thanks friends
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM

956 posts, read 3,901,602 times
Do a search on Bethlehem. There's lots of information on this site - all your questions should be answered.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 AM

46 posts, read 221,583 times
Yes, it is a very nice place to live. For a college student you have your pick of colleges and universities to choose from; close to Philadelphia and NYC.

Environment ranges from rural-ish to urban and all points in between. Locals are a little hard to get to know, but friendly overall, generally a very pretty area with nice parks etc.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 AM

13,121 posts, read 31,466,532 times
Northampton CC has a pretty good local rep. I know a current student there who lived on campus and had a great first year. He joined some of the clubs, made friends and found the academics challenging but do-able. If you are a local, you will know that NCC is very close to Lehigh, Lafayettte and Moravian Colleges which are great four year colleges. You may want to see if you NCC credits can directly transfer to one of those colleges. NCC is not really in the town of Bethlehem. It has a pretty little campus to the NE of the city. I would assume that there would be shuttle buses to the city proper, because it's not at all within walking distance. Lots of things to do in Bethlehem and because Lehigh and Moravian are within walking distance to the city, there are bars and places that the college hang out, concerts to attend, etc.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the help ...i appreciate..it. Actually Im not at all familiar with the area, but im a quick learner so learning about where places are and directions should become a synch. Im From california but ive traveled to the northeast a couple of times so i should be allright.. but yeah ...i have a question though? is housing like apartments cheaper out there then here in cali? i'd assume so, and also is there housing near the campus and also if you know... do you know if jobs are plentiful out there? I know the Economy is bad right now but it seems like where im at right now here in Fresno,ca , it just seems like there's nothing out here no opportunity out here . Anyways thanks for the help i really appreciate it very much take care

Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 AM

13,121 posts, read 31,466,532 times
The majority of the students most likely just live at home with their folks and drive in everyday, probably from houses as opposed to apartments. Jobs are not really plentiful out here but I don't think it's worse then most of the rest of the country. Yes, housing is usually cheaper then most areas of California but you can compare yourself by looking at the local paper - Lehigh Valley news, Allentown news, Bethlehem news, pocono news, Easton news from The Morning Call and mcall.com -- themorningcall.com I love this area of the country but the winters can be long, especially the months of February and March.

I'm not sure what the draw would be to come to NCC from California but I would strongly suggest a visit out here before you decide. You have great Community Colleges in California that are also inexpensive and you can transfer right into a State School, also inexpensive. Why not just pick another part of the state if you don't like Fresno?

I'm not trying to sound unwelcoming but I have College age kids myself and there's no way we would sponsor a Community College education across the country.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:23 AM

i totally understand where your coming from... it's a lot of stuff about here i don't like... and plus...ever since i turned 18...my parents have really just let me be free...i mean im living with my friend out here ...but i just don't see opportunity out here.... but out near the NYC- Philly corridor...it just seems a lot more..."happening" you know what i mean.. but yeah ive moved a lot of places in the last 2 years... my dad encourages it....but he hates it when i end up coming back to cali...because he knows there's nothing here for me anymore.... it's kinda that deal... you know.... but yeah 90% of the time....it's not really a great idea... but yeah .... i can't be afraid to take chances...

I just gotta have faith in god that it's gonna work out.....you know.. so to answer your question im not worried at all.

thanks for the links to the various websites in Lehigh valley. man.. i appreciate it.... well yeah thanks again...and god bless take care...

Old 07-23-2008, 12:37 PM

956 posts, read 3,901,602 times
You may want to check with the people at Moravian College about an apartment if you don't already have a place. Back when I was there, the college had about 85 rental units. Most of those went to students and staff, but there were always some available to the public. Thats been about 13, 14 years now, so I'm not sure how much that may have changed.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 PM

16 posts, read 85,893 times
Like everywhere else...it depends on what you like. I have lived in Bethlehem all my life except when I lived at the NJ shore for 6 yrs. My husband and I moved back here and he hates it. But there are some nice pretty areas and parks. We drive up to the Deleware Water Gap, about an hour north and hang out by the river a lot. You can hike Bushkill Falls and that's nice. NCCC has a good rep and is in a nice area. Downtown Bethlehem is historic and has a lot of shops and restaurants. Southside Bethlehem has a few nice shops and Lehigh Univ is over there, but it is still pretty dumpy.
My husband and others I met at Lehigh Univ. have said that they didn't think people are very nice or welcoming. The Lehigh Valley people can be a little tough especially if they are Pennsylvania Dutch. My guess is that since your in college you won't encounter them so much. But the area has been growing with lots of transplants from NJ and NY. NY City is only about an hour 1/2 away...if you like cities.
Definatley don't bother with downtown Allentown or Easton..lots of crime and really dumpy now.
All the colleges around here have pretty nice campuses. I was in Laguna beach last year....it's a far cry from that.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 AM

4 posts, read 21,818 times
I work at NCC. We usually have over 100 students from countries around the world! Turkey, Brazil, Korea etc... There MUST be some kind of draw...

Anyhow, did you know that NCC has dorms? Check with Student Services on availability. The college really tries to do a nice job of making students welcome and they put on some fun events. Overall, there are about 7000 students enrolled in credit course (I think).

There is bus stop right by the college. So, transportation shouldn't be a problem. I often see posts for roomates wanted - that may be an option.

Alot of our professors also teach at Lehigh, Moravian etc... so you're getting 4 year quality at 2 years prices. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley