Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 AM

9 posts, read 32,770 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to town and was wondering what recommendations people had for the best libraries at the many colleges/universities around? I live in Allentown. Drove to Lehigh University the other day. Seemed nice, but a bit far. Any other suggestions? Maybe people's top three choices?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Since you live in Allentown, I would suggest visiting the two Allentown Colleges - Muhlenberg and Cedar Crest. I've only seen Muhlenberg's when I went on a College tour with my daughter several years ago. It was very nice but since I haven't visited the other five in the area, I can't really compare it to them. Actually, I have seen the one at Lehigh County Community College too and it was a pretty good size. Not as nice as Muhlenbergs or in as impressive a building but still good.

Unless one is doing research though, is there any reason to go to a University Library when the local public libraries are easier to access? Did you know that as long as you have an unexpired library card from your home library in PA with an access sticker and your PA drivers license, you can get a library card at any library in Pennsylvania for free? If there is a book that you want that is unavailable at your local library (and it's older then a year old), your local library can get it for you from the inter-library loan service. Just a plug from your local (public!) librarian....

Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 AM

9 posts, read 32,770 times
Thanks toobusy,

You are right, I don't have to do any research at a University Library. I am just studying for a professional licensing examination and tend to find that I get more done in University library settings - they stay open later and there are usually less distractions than at public libraries (you know, story hour for the kids, community events, etc.) Not that I'm knocking those things because that's what public libraries should be all about, but I just need to get some serious studying done.
Thanks for your help though. I'll check out the Allentown University libraries.
Loliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Since you live in Allentown, I would suggest visiting the two Allentown Colleges - Muhlenberg and Cedar Crest. I've only seen Muhlenberg's when I went on a College tour with my daughter several years ago. It was very nice but since I haven't visited the other five in the area, I can't really compare it to them. Actually, I have seen the one at Lehigh County Community College too and it was a pretty good size. Not as nice as Muhlenbergs or in as impressive a building but still good.

Unless one is doing research though, is there any reason to go to a University Library when the local public libraries are easier to access? Did you know that as long as you have an unexpired library card from your home library in PA with an access sticker and your PA drivers license, you can get a library card at any library in Pennsylvania for free? If there is a book that you want that is unavailable at your local library (and it's older then a year old), your local library can get it for you from the inter-library loan service. Just a plug from your local (public!) librarian....

Old 12-04-2008, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
Check out the lindermann library at Lehigh University. Aesthetically it is the nicest library you will find in the lehigh valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley