Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:03 AM

4,407 posts, read 9,089,107 times

Advertisements

In regards to Macarthur Rd and 7th st, there always were some shady spots but when I was younger, my friends and I could still walk around without much fear. Now, if Im in the area I have to clench my fist and put on my mean face.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 AM

17 posts, read 60,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
As far as raising a family, I reccomend moving to South Carolina or some other small Southern town. In a few months once some health issues are resolved and finances are improved I hope to do this.
What area of North Carolina are you looking at? My husband and I live in Southern VA and the crime rate here is rather high. In fact, it's just at high as my hometown area of Williamsport, PA. While people are generally friendly and warm, there are still places that you do not want to walk (even during daylight hours) in parts of the South. Also, be prepared for a complete and total culture shock if you move. I know that I did. While I found some friendly people, I also found a huge lack of culture/appreciation for the arts and a big resistance to any sort of progressive change. I'm not saying that all areas of the South are this way, but I would suggest doing your research and visiting the place a few times for several days each time before you decide to move for sure, if you haven't already done so.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,601,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post
I'm moving my family to North Carolina once I get my house sold.
You may want to aim for Alaska instead..... NC is pretty bad. Sometimese worse than PA. I hear that Southern crime is not localized to the "bad areas"....people can be victims anywhere.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM

4,407 posts, read 9,089,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA girl in VA View Post
What area of North Carolina are you looking at? My husband and I live in Southern VA and the crime rate here is rather high. In fact, it's just at high as my hometown area of Williamsport, PA. While people are generally friendly and warm, there are still places that you do not want to walk (even during daylight hours) in parts of the South. Also, be prepared for a complete and total culture shock if you move. I know that I did. While I found some friendly people, I also found a huge lack of culture/appreciation for the arts and a big resistance to any sort of progressive change. I'm not saying that all areas of the South are this way, but I would suggest doing your research and visiting the place a few times for several days each time before you decide to move for sure, if you haven't already done so.

Im thinking along the lines of Greenville SC which is two hrs from Charlotte (give or take) and Atlanta.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM

17 posts, read 60,102 times
Loose Cannon, have you looked at the crime statistics for Greenville and Atlanta. If you take in consideration the differences in population from those cities and Allentown, the crime rates are the same (if not higher) than Allentown. I don't personally know much about those areas, but I just thought that I'd point that out to you in case you didn't realize that already. Good luck on your possible moving endeavors, and again, make sure you visit lots and research lots before you make such a big move.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Im thinking along the lines of Greenville SC which is two hrs from Charlotte (give or take) and Atlanta.
Greenville is a beautiful city. Poke your head into their sub-forum sometime and have a chit-chat with the friendly locals. I spent hours on there one evening having a wonderful time. I want to visit someday.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,251,393 times
Quote:
I really do not like to point the finger at people from NY and NJ like a lot of small minded folks in the Valley do. But, the reality is that a lot of criminals have migrated here.
So are you saying that my neighbors (and myself!) who hail from NY and NJ are out holding up gas stations at night, after we finish mowing our grass and coaching our kid's soccer team?

Please

I am so sick and tired of everyone laying blame for anything that is wrong with the Legigh Valley on the folks from NY and NJ. Make up your mind, are we taking away all of you farms with our "McMansions" or are we holding up the gas stations?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:08 PM

83 posts, read 291,886 times
Well you know me being from brooklyn NY I just held up my first Walmart last night! Man some people are so ignorant.
I guess they must quiz everyone on where they are from originally to know who causes the crime here.

People who come from NY and NJ are not criminals.

I am so glad you posted this kristy, because when I read it last night I was so annoyed, and what I was going to write would not have been allowed on here.

I lived in NY my whole life, and after being here for 3 weeks my car was broken into, and so was my mother's, it must have been those other New Yorkers that followed us here! I was never robbed, assaulted, and I never had a crime commited against me OR anyone in my family while we lived there and that was 38 YEARS!

Crimes are not commited because you are from a certain state, it is a certain type of person that commits them and they can come from anywhere,

I take great offense to those constant comments.
Kathy

Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 PM

634 posts, read 1,156,106 times
Give me accurate demographic stats from any given area and I can accurately predict the crime probability for said area.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM

634 posts, read 1,156,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
...are we taking away all of you farms with our "McMansions" or are we holding up the gas stations?

Regardless ... quality of life in "the valley" has fallen dramatically over the last 15 years thanks to sprawl and its insipid ancillary effects.

However, I do enjoy watching the McMansion set scrambling to cope with high energy prices while their access to credit dries up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley