U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 PM
 
191 posts, read 640,849 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

If you pay more than 750 a month for rental home, your overpaying. If you live in allentown or easton & many parts of bethlehem, your taking your life in your own hands. Get the truth about real estate around the valley.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-11-2008 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: duplicate link
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
 
33 posts, read 81,552 times
Reputation: 11
Default Hmm not sure about this

Did someone say if you pay more than 750 for a rental home you are paying too much? How is that...I have not seen a decent home anywhere from Atlanta, Maryland, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey or PA for under $1000. This is 2008 decent rentals ain't cheap. as we have

As far a safety goes we recently moved to Bethlehem and the area I live in is nice. I don't feel like my life is endangered at all.

Yes, driving around there are parts of Bethlehem, Allentown, Whitehall, etc. I would not choose to live in but really I have seen much worse in other cities and states.

I must say that if I had done a little more research we may have chosen Freemansburg or Forks but I satisfied with our decision right now.

As far a schools go....I homeschool my kids so school is not really an issue right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 PM
 
191 posts, read 640,849 times
Reputation: 44
Default Foolish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma6 View Post
Did someone say if you pay more than 750 for a rental home you are paying too much? How is that...I have not seen a decent home anywhere from Atlanta, Maryland, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey or PA for under $1000. This is 2008 decent rentals ain't cheap. as we have

As far a safety goes we recently moved to Bethlehem and the area I live in is nice. I don't feel like my life is endangered at all.

Yes, driving around there are parts of Bethlehem, Allentown, Whitehall, etc. I would not choose to live in but really I have seen much worse in other cities and states.

I must say that if I had done a little more research we may have chosen Freemansburg or Forks but I satisfied with our decision right now.

As far a schools go....I homeschool my kids so school is not really an issue right now.

If you or anyone is paying over 1k a month, a sucker is born every minute I suppose. Prices of real estate are still 60% overvalued but you can rent plenty of homes(I know dozens who are waiting out the housing bubble doing so). Foolish commuters who are realizing that prices in NJ & NY are dropping fast are the main contributors to the housing bubble. Think about this, these foolish commuters spend 3-5 hours a day commuting. If locals in the valley did the same commute to a home in central PA, you could buy a 5 bedroom brick home with a few acres for under 75k and that's a fact. The reason they don't? We aren't dumb enough to drive that much and realized this was a "HOUSING BUBBLE". Now the bubble is bursting and it's going down, down, down. Only realtors and fools who bought during the bubble will tell you otherwise.

Stay informed

www.patrick.net
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
 
191 posts, read 640,849 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmomma6 View Post
Did someone say if you pay more than 750 for a rental home you are paying too much? How is that...I have not seen a decent home anywhere from Atlanta, Maryland, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey or PA for under $1000. This is 2008 decent rentals ain't cheap. as we have

As far a safety goes we recently moved to Bethlehem and the area I live in is nice. I don't feel like my life is endangered at all.

Yes, driving around there are parts of Bethlehem, Allentown, Whitehall, etc. I would not choose to live in but really I have seen much worse in other cities and states.

I must say that if I had done a little more research we may have chosen Freemansburg or Forks but I satisfied with our decision right now.

As far a schools go....I homeschool my kids so school is not really an issue right now.
I've got ton's of relatives and friends that live in Atlanta, Charlotte, and NJ & NY, it's easy to find if you have basic skills. You must take everything realtors say to heart. That's too bad. Anyone from here would tell you that's crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,048,234 times
Reputation: 447
Default What's all this about?

I really don't see your point in attacking commuters and renters -- people will pay whatever they can for a decent place to call home as long as they can afford it. Locals don't commute because they are fine with their cost of living people moving out here still have bills and other things to take care of and leaving a 65K or 75K job for an $8.15 an hour job is insane.

I work in the technology field with over 12 years experience and I am yet to find a job in the Lehigh Valley willing to pay more than $40K.....even entry level jobs in NJ and NY start off around the mid 50K range in what I do.

Mind you not everyone has just basic skills there are professionals involved so please if you are here to educate just do that and don't go attacking commuters and renters for no reason.

Maybe you need to direct your information to landlords and rental agencies who are ripping people off and not the poor people trying to find a place to call home.

I rest my case now..!!!

===========

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmausRocks View Post
If you or anyone is paying over 1k a month, a sucker is born every minute I suppose. Prices of real estate are still 60% overvalued but you can rent plenty of homes(I know dozens who are waiting out the housing bubble doing so). Foolish commuters who are realizing that prices in NJ & NY are dropping fast are the main contributors to the housing bubble. Think about this, these foolish commuters spend 3-5 hours a day commuting. If locals in the valley did the same commute to a home in central PA, you could buy a 5 bedroom brick home with a few acres for under 75k and that's a fact. The reason they don't? We aren't dumb enough to drive that much and realized this was a "HOUSING BUBBLE". Now the bubble is bursting and it's going down, down, down. Only realtors and fools who bought during the bubble will tell you otherwise.

Stay informed

www.patrick.net
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
 
191 posts, read 640,849 times
Reputation: 44
Wink Dumb Dumb Dumb Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
I really don't see your point in attacking commuters and renters -- people will pay whatever they can for a decent place to call home as long as they can afford it. Locals don't commute because they are fine with their cost of living people moving out here still have bills and other things to take care of and leaving a 65K or 75K job for an $8.15 an hour job is insane.

I work in the technology field with over 12 years experience and I am yet to find a job in the Lehigh Valley willing to pay more than $40K.....even entry level jobs in NJ and NY start off around the mid 50K range in what I do.

Mind you not everyone has just basic skills there are professionals involved so please if you are here to educate just do that and don't go attacking commuters and renters for no reason.

Maybe you need to direct your information to landlords and rental agencies who are ripping people off and not the poor people trying to find a place to call home.

I rest my case now..!!!

===========


Rest your case? You make no sense? I am advocating people be smart and rent instead of purchase. In fact I've told them towns where you can rent cheaper like Topton, Fleetwood, Emmaus and so on. Matter of fact here's a great insider tip, use the "Penny Saver" & "East Penn Merchandiser" to find those normal priced homes & apartments for rent for way under $1k a month. But if you really want to make yourself sick and your from NJ & NY check out this site that deals mostly with those 2 states real estate and see how much it's falling and will continue. New Jersey Real Estate Report Now when your commuting past your old neighborhood, imagine if you would have waited out the "HOUSING BUBBLE", LOL!~!!!!@!!@!@!

And yes we locals don't like seeing 1/3 empty McMansions that were built on swamps that are not going to last more than 75 years because of major structual damages due to the swamp land and cheap labor. If this wasn't a ponzai/pyramid scheme then why didn't the Lehigh Valley become "infested" with commuters 25-75 years ago? It's always been more expensive when your near NYC. These fools are just like the dot.com investors who went BROKE! These will be foreclosed & bankrupt 10X's worse than the DOT.COM disaster. It's coming and it's coming hard and us true locals are laughing all the way to the bank.

PS

I know more local farmers that retired and there kids retired from dumb investors planning on getting rich in housing than you could ever imagine. Now that's Kharma
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM
 
619 posts, read 2,020,049 times
Reputation: 345
EmmausRocks,
Clearly, you enjoy being the bearer of bad news. Since the only posts you've made involve gleeful predictions of doom for LV homeowners, and demeaning assessments of realtors, renters and home-buyers...I wonder what your true purpose is.

If you were just straight-forward, I might think you really did just want to "spread the truth" but the sheer joy you seem to find in the potential suffering of others leads me to a different conclusion.

I certainly hope you can find pleasure in something less nasty sometime soon!
Good luck to ya!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
 
1,187 posts, read 2,595,413 times
Reputation: 929
Good points, mczabe.

To my knowledge, you can't "sell short" houses like you can short stocks, so I don't understand what this guy is trying to gain from all of this. It's like he's trying to trash talk a penny stock company to make people panic and have the price go down. Maybe he sold his house around 2001, someone then flipped it, made a fortune, and now he's upset about the bubble?

This guy reminds me of a similar troll that pops up on the morning call forums. He'll jump on some completely non-housing related threat and start spouting out his mantra, along with the "patrick.net" references.

I don't have a dog in this hunt anyway, since I left the LV several years ago, although I still have relatives in the area.

Not all people view their house as an investment. If it goes up in value, that's great, but it's primarily a place to live and enjoy life. Several of my relatives love their homes in the LV so much, they wouldn't sell if the value went down 75% or went up 75%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
EmmausRocks,
Clearly, you enjoy being the bearer of bad news. Since the only posts you've made involve gleeful predictions of doom for LV homeowners, and demeaning assessments of realtors, renters and home-buyers...I wonder what your true purpose is.

If you were just straight-forward, I might think you really did just want to "spread the truth" but the sheer joy you seem to find in the potential suffering of others leads me to a different conclusion.

I certainly hope you can find pleasure in something less nasty sometime soon!
Good luck to ya!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 06:35 PM
 
Location: bethlehem PA
248 posts, read 709,756 times
Reputation: 85
the "tone" of your posts just seem so .... angry or something. and all of your posts say the same thing - i have yet to see you post something anywhere else, about anyTHING else....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2008, 06:11 PM
 
392 posts, read 1,272,570 times
Reputation: 83
Getting back to the ops originalquestion, I vote for Salisbury Township. Its very nice here, convenient to almost everything, and we do not have a crime problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top