U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
 
Location: NY
2 posts, read 10,257 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I have found these forums very helpful in narrowing my search for areas in PA.

My DH and I are originally from LI, were transferred upstate and now are being transferred to Lehigh Valley. After much research we have settled on Parkland or East Penn SDs, cannot afford Southern Lehigh (unforch). I absolutely fell in love with Graymoor (Pulte) in Lower Mac but there are so few lots left we would most likely do a resale. I also loved Whitfield Estates (THP) in Upper Macungie. Any pros/cons to either area? schools, lots, neighborhoods, nearby shops?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Karen
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:52 AM
 
Location: PA
1,032 posts, read 4,132,806 times
Reputation: 434
Karen -

We live in Graymoor and LOVE IT!!

Our neighborhood is very friendly, and of all the places I've lived in the past 8 years, this neighborhood has been the best!

We do a fall festival, an easter egg hunt, lots of Bunco groups and lots and LOTS of KIDS!

As far as builders go - there is no comparison between THP and Pulte. Our last house was a THP, and again, no comparison - Pulte blows them out of the water.

I have friends in Whitfied Estates and they complain of lots of renters in their neighborhood. I guess people who are unable to sell are renting their houses, and they are not happy about it. Also, the lots are much smaller in Whitfied Estates.

As for school districts, both Parkland and East Penn are good, but Parkland is much more spread out, meaning your kids are traveling further to get to school and their friends are more spread out - this was the reason we picked East Penn.

There are quite a few resales in Graymoor - mostly due to corporate relocations - but I know of one quick delivery that has not sold yet as well.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Graymoor, Pulte or THP.

Oh, and I'm originally from Long Island too
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
 
Location: NY
2 posts, read 10,257 times
Reputation: 10
KristyLiz-

Thank you so much for the information! I love Graymoor but my husband is leaning towards Whitfield. I couldn't get over the lot sizes in Graymoor. We are gearing up for an official house hunting trip again soon so if you don't mind I might hit you up with more questions!!

Quick one: Do you find that Graymoor has a lot of transplants? I didn't want to be the newbies in an older, established area like we are here so I was hoping for a newer community.

Thanks again!

Karen
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 AM
 
Location: PA
1,032 posts, read 4,132,806 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by alykai View Post
KristyLiz-

Thank you so much for the information! I love Graymoor but my husband is leaning towards Whitfield. I couldn't get over the lot sizes in Graymoor. We are gearing up for an official house hunting trip again soon so if you don't mind I might hit you up with more questions!!

Quick one: Do you find that Graymoor has a lot of transplants? I didn't want to be the newbies in an older, established area like we are here so I was hoping for a newer community.

Thanks again!

Karen
Yes, Graymoor has lots of transplants - the whole area does, actually. That's why it was so easy to make friends - everyone had noone, so they are eager to make connections.

Feel free to ask me anything - I just went through this move last year, so I know what it's like.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM
 
191 posts, read 664,582 times
Reputation: 44
The Lehigh Valley real estate market is crashing. There are so many rentals (section 8 mainly) because of foreclosures. Foreclosures around the valley are 50-60% and rising. LMT & UMT are turning into mini hood's. Drive through the new sub divisions in the night, you'll see how many are EMPTY. What moron would pay 1,500 - 2,500 a month for rent when you can rent a really nice home for $750? Check out fleetwood or topton which are 15 minutes away. You'll see what I mean. They built these MiniMcMansions on swampland. That's why it's called BearSwamp. I know people who bought in these crappy new subdivisions and they already have structual damage. Trust me, your better off renting than buying in the valley. Prices have dropped significantly and are going to continue until prices of real estate are in the mid to late 90's price range. You can't afford to lose that kind of equitity.

www.patrick.net
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 04:19 PM
 
191 posts, read 664,582 times
Reputation: 44
Thumbs down Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Yes, Graymoor has lots of transplants - the whole area does, actually. That's why it was so easy to make friends - everyone had noone, so they are eager to make connections.

Feel free to ask me anything - I just went through this move last year, so I know what it's like.

Good luck!

You bought last year, YIKES are you going to take a beating on equitity. I would say you lost 25% already.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 03:50 AM
 
Location: PA
1,032 posts, read 4,132,806 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmausRocks View Post
You bought last year, YIKES are you going to take a beating on equitity. I would say you lost 25% already.
Thanks for your concern
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
 
32 posts, read 91,604 times
Reputation: 21
Default Relocation to LV

I agree I live in Pulte as I mentioned in the other post. Coldwater Crossing in Breinigsville in Upper Maungie. The builder is great and has lots of good offers. No competition between Whitfield and Pulte. The schools rock! Although I am at the end of the Valley experience 11 years now. I highly recommend Pulte and Macungie area. The community has lots of things to do especially for kids, we have a pool a club house playground, soccer and other things coming. We are a young bunch also which keeps us vibrant. I would say the majority is 20's-50's. Check it out on the web.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM
 
191 posts, read 664,582 times
Reputation: 44
Default Section 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderlyles View Post
I agree I live in Pulte as I mentioned in the other post. Coldwater Crossing in Breinigsville in Upper Maungie. The builder is great and has lots of good offers. No competition between Whitfield and Pulte. The schools rock! Although I am at the end of the Valley experience 11 years now. I highly recommend Pulte and Macungie area. The community has lots of things to do especially for kids, we have a pool a club house playground, soccer and other things coming. We are a young bunch also which keeps us vibrant. I would say the majority is 20's-50's. Check it out on the web.

Find out how many of those homes are now section 8 housing? LOT's of there is about 1/3 of the homes sitting empty because nobody is willing to overpay anymore, well almost everyone won't. Don't be the last sucker in a pyramid scheme.

www.patrick.net
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
 
20 posts, read 42,747 times
Reputation: 17
To EmmausRocks
Is this true what you say about "LMT & UMT are turning into mini hood's.". We are moving to the area and wondering about that area. Is it true homes were built on "swampland". Is Southern Leihigh school district better area to look at? help. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top