U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM

191 posts, read 640,770 times

Advertisements

Realtor Ethics

by Julianne E.

My general approach to life is to observe as objectively as possible then tomake adjustments accordingly. After all, as we say in Real Estate, motivatedpeople face reality and take action. That's me. I'm motivated. Ms. Motivation.I started working as a loan officer three and a half years ago and thentransitioned into real estate sales. I really loved this business from thebeginning. I love the variety of tasks, learning the laws, the lenderguidelines, working with people. So I furthered my education and joined 'theboard'. Now I am a full-fledged Realtor. Joy.Being a loan officer for a while, you figure things out as patterns emerge.You've got a broker shop with an owner who employs their friends and family.You've got a revolving door of loan officers who come and go. And the onlypeople who seem to make the money, consistently, are the owners and the friendsand family. Yes, there is a lot wrong with this picture, but I won't go intothat here."Well", I thought, as one brilliant thought followed another, "I'll transitioninto real estate sales. It's gotta be better there. The people present muchbetter, that's for sure."Since I'm relatively intelligent -- well, I guess this depends on who you talkto -- I pick up on things a lot faster now than I used to. You know, theduplicity, the illusion, right? Took me a while to see it in the mortgageworld. The view of the world that "we think like this. If you are to be oneof us, you will think like us." You get it, right? Collective CYA (Cover YourAss). Let's start our new real estate careers in fear, shall we?When you "join the board", which is a requirement to gain access to the MLS(Multiple Listing Service), you must attend "Ethics Training". If you don't,you will be denied access to the MLS, even though you paid your fees. OK, well,ethics training. Great!! Let's have some. Bring it on. I love ethics. Iread about it and try to live it.The trouble is that in all the books I've read and all the seminars I've beento, the National Association of Realtors (NAR) seems to define "EthicsTraining" to include a few add-ons. Call me naive, but what do you expect? Ithought I'd learn all about how to treat clients, to be honest, even if it's notwhat others want to hear, above all else, to put clients' interests first. Andwe did briefly touch on this. Not ethics training -- "nethics" training.NETHICS (noun): Ethics according to the National Association of Realtors.First and foremost on this agenda is do not ever, ever, never under anycircumstances give the slightest smidgeon of a passing thought that brokers fixcommission prices. The first and only video we viewed trained us specificallyon the "commission objection", to basically say whatever you want, other than"this is a typical charge for the industry" and certainly NOT "this is whateveryone charges". This message from NAR took up the first hour of a four-hourtraining class on ethics. I was sitting there just shocked.Secondly, we never ever under any circumstances say anything negative aboutother Realtors. What? If I have personal knowledge that some agent is a realsnake, I can't warn people? That's right folks. Any and all such commentsmust be sent to the "Ethics Committee" and dealt with behind closed doors.Hmmm. What about the public's best interest? This second message took upanother hour of this four-hour seminar.So there you go. I'm a full-fledged, ethical Realtor. We don't fix prices andwe don't talk bad about each other. Would you like to see some property?It's not that I think these are bad ideas. But why are these two things thevery most important "ethical" topics in real estate? Am I missing somethinghere or is something really missing? This just doesn't make sense,unless... hmmm...NO. THAT couldn't be. Its just not possible that the most important thing toNAR leadership is staying in control and staying in power and covering theirasses, even though they are not competent to run the organization. It justCOULDN'T be smoke and mirrors. It COULDN'T be that their time has passed, thatthey need to evolve and adjust to the vastly different new paradigm in whichthe world now operates. Could someone please tell NAR that the iron-fistapproach is just passe?With so much emphasis and focus placed on CYA, is it any wonder NAR has missedso many opportunities to be a voice for transparency and honesty? That's noteven on the radar.As for me, I continue my pursuit of a more ethical profession. I'm ponderinglaw school. (Just kidding.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM

242 posts, read 771,879 times
Default huh???

Good bit, and I am sure in your mind this solidfies the fact that all Realtors (even the National Association that governs) is pulling punches. But what I don't understand from this piece and your standpoint is NAR has nothing to do with ethical practice - that comes down to the agent themself.

If I as an agent want to misrepresent something or become a "total hack" I can do that and sit through those classes or any quadrennial ethics training. So to quit an industry because a governing agency didn't put into place more stringent/or looser guidelines for an agent to operate is kind of puzzeling.

Mostly this piece confuses me because she came from the financial sector of loan processing - theres an industry that produces no unethical people. But even furthermore, on a national perspective, I mean does there not need to be a total over haul of EVERY industries ethics & participants. From the church with the priest problem, to corporations and them fudging numbers to increase stocks and bonus, to insurance industries cutting healthcare when someone is sick. I mean if anybody can tell me that we have NOT had a MELTDOWN of ETHICAL BEHAVIOR in business, i would be shocked.

I don't stand for unethical behavior, but to pack your stuff and leave because the guidelines aren't where you like them to be and you think that will happen in another industry - that's just quiting.

And to take the standpoint of all you Realtors are the same, is just generic and flatout lazy. Do some research!

I am still waiting for something substanative from you!

Thanks
Jeff

Old 09-17-2008, 04:49 PM

The truth is substantial enough. Your a salesman, you're in the business of lies. Prices are falling faster than realtors are losing jobs. Over 800 points in the market, "SO FAR".

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/105782/How-We-Got-Here-It-Is-Housing-Stupid (broken link)

How We Got Here: It's Housing, Stupid

by Chris Isidore
Thursday, September 18,
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/fi/gr/partner_logos/cnnmoney_170x33.gif[/IMG][/url]
The Wall Street crisis has been caused by plunging housing prices. So despite the billions of dollars being thrown at the problem, experts say more trouble lies ahead.
The nation's financial system is in the midst of a massive shakeup and many on Wall Street and in Washington are pointing fingers and looking for someone to blame.
But in the end, it all comes back to one issue - housing.
More from CNNMoney.com:

CNNMoney.com Market Meltdown Coverage

Why This (Still) Isn't a Recession

What AIG's Troubles Mean for Your Insurance
Earlier this decade, it was much easier to get a mortgage. Home prices soared about 85% from 1996 through 2006in inflation-adjusted dollars, creating a bubble.
Then the bubble popped. And the fallout isn't over yet, experts say.
In the past two weeks, the government took over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, Lehman Brothers filed for bankruptcy and Merrill Lynch sold itself to Bank of America.

More from Yahoo! Finance:

The Market's Triple Whammy: Don't Join in the Panic

Comparing the Candidates' Hot Button Issues

Automated Bill Payments: A Cinch?
Visit the Banking & Budgeting Center
A Downward Spiral
This credit crunch in of itself slowed the economy, leading to job losses and more defaults, feeding a downward spiral that has been difficult to stop.
"A really bad situation -- a home price bubble bursting -- was made significantly worse when the recession began," said Achuthan. "Now we have to let this thing play out."
Some experts even argue that the steps being taken to rescue firms like AIG could make a recovery in housing and the broader economy more difficult, as financial firms and investors become more reluctant to lend money.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-17-2008 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: copyright against TOS

Old 09-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Wow!!!! The business of lies.
Here is what I know - the people NOT to believe in this world are the ones that make up their mind BEFORE they know a person or issue.

THEY'RE CALLED PREJUDGICE.

Get to know me BEFORE you cast your OPINION!

So you stay in your "CANDYLAND" where you post/answer nothing substance or of your own experience. Throw enough against the wall and it sticks. But anyone who can stand on their own to feet sees right through your paper mache suit.

And I pretty sure when you started your manifesto - you owned a trucking company - guess you don't SELL anything there!

In other words to quote the Beasty Boys: "People talk about me, but that's just cause they ain't got a thing to say!"

OUT
Jeff

Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvivian View Post
Wow!!!! The business of lies.
Here is what I know - the people NOT to believe in this world are the ones that make up their mind BEFORE they know a person or issue.

THEY'RE CALLED PREJUDGICE.

Get to know me BEFORE you cast your OPINION!

So you stay in your "CANDYLAND" where you post/answer nothing substance or of your own experience. Throw enough against the wall and it sticks. But anyone who can stand on their own to feet sees right through your paper mache suit.

And I pretty sure when you started your manifesto - you owned a trucking company - guess you don't SELL anything there!

In other words to quote the Beasty Boys: "People talk about me, but that's just cause they ain't got a thing to say!"

OUT
Jeff

Tell the folks when you got into realtor game? How many years experience? Why are you searching for clients online? LOL!!!!!

The smart money was out of realtor game in 2004. You didn't get started until when?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 PM

I am in my 4th year.
And you may want to read the advertising policy that goes with the site - I can't solicate business here and never will.

How many recruits are you solicisiting here?

So sorry again but you have nothing.
Please try again.

Jeff

Old 09-17-2008, 08:08 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
Yikes! Please respect the terms of service for this site:
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

Realtors ARE allowed on this site. People are free to contact Jeff by DM is they so desire.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 PM

619 posts, read 2,019,811 times
My favorite part was when the brand new poster claimed to not post on multiple boards...like a brand new poster would ever say something like that.

Until ER decides to share anything even close to a personal rationale for his obsession, I suggest we all step away from the troll...

Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 AM

Yup!

Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 20,303 times
::claps::

Good show. Never feed the trolls or they live under your bridge forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley