Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 AM

148 posts, read 538,759 times

Advertisements

Do all the schools have early dismissal on Wednesdays or does this only apply to Lower Macungie??

Also I read that there is a full day kindergarten program..who qualifies for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:34 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
The half day thing on Wednesdays is done only at East Penn from what I understand. : http://www.eastpennsd.org/lmes/About%20Us.html (broken link) My husbands cousin teaches at one the LM schools and loves it. Looks like full day is only offered to some people.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:47 AM

47 posts, read 162,055 times
I can not believe that don't have full day Kindergarten for everyone. They need to switch to what the norm is in the rest of the country.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I agree in theory but that means doubling the amount of classrooms allocated for kindergarten. The elementary schools in my district are at capacity now. We're building a 4th grade to -6th grade building now. Adding full day kindergarten would mean adding 10 more classrooms to our district and that's just not a priority.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,415 times
Only East Penn elementary schools have 1:30 p.m. dismissal on Wednesdays. As for kindergarten - it is half day. There is one full day class, but that is for children who have never been to preschool, or for who English is their second language or who just need more time to get up to speed. It is a grant funded class and their is an application process with guidelines that must be met.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCajun View Post
I can not believe that don't have full day Kindergarten for everyone. They need to switch to what the norm is in the rest of the country.
I think that full day is great - for the parents! However, for the kids, I think half day is a nice transition.

As far as I know, full day kindy gets all their school work done in the morning, and since the kids are toast after lunch/recess, the rest of the day is glorified day care - for free.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:09 PM

47 posts, read 162,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
I think that full day is great - for the parents! However, for the kids, I think half day is a nice transition.

As far as I know, full day kindy gets all their school work done in the morning, and since the kids are toast after lunch/recess, the rest of the day is glorified day care - for free.
Full day kindergarten allows the student the ability to transition more successfully into First grade. All of the Kindergarten classes that I have been involved with have had acedemics in the morning and afternoon. That being said, the afternoon activities were geared more toward the fun side. My daughter was in a full day pre-k class and they did have a rest time in the afternoon. Her Kindergarten class didn't even have a rest time, but more of a quiet time where they read books and did centers. Once they hit first grade they are ready to go.

As far as 1/2 day with early dismissle, I think it is a waste of the day for everyone involved. They get to school and then turn around and come home 45 minutes later. In some cases they are probably on the bus longer.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCajun View Post
As far as 1/2 day with early dismissle, I think it is a waste of the day for everyone involved. They get to school and then turn around and come home 45 minutes later. In some cases they are probably on the bus longer.
I agree with you 100% on this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley