U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM

4,123 posts, read 8,001,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godisloveandiworshiphim View Post
First of all, children are not rug rats, they are angel and gifts from god. I doubt that one day you will have children, one because God don't make rug rats and when you do have your RUG RATS they will be miserable kids because with a parent like you who needs enemies. Halloween is for those who wants to spend there money to make kids happy and if you don't want to join them, then don't, is not your money that is being spend and if you don't want to give out candy, just don't turn on your porch lights and they won't bother knocking on your door. I'll pray for you so that your heart grows and not be miserable like Mr. Scrooge. Look at the movie and get a clue, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
you probably listen to Bobby Gunther Walsh! Right Winger! Power to the People!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
I look forward to trick or treat night, I love to see the little ones running from house to house
with joy on their faces. I like Friday nights and the rest of the weekend is available for families
to spend time enjoying the holiday events. So lets put our lights on and wait for the children
to find us.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:33 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,739,884 times
Since this thread has been bumped up despite being a few years old, I have a question that has been bugging me since I moved to the Lehighton area:

why is it that places around here have trick or treating on a different night than Halloween?

We always trick or treated on Halloween night, no matter what. Didn't matter if it was on a weekday or weekend, we went "Halloweening" on Oct. 31.

I also grew up in a country setting in NEPA, although we had a big neighborhood because we lived near a lake community, and this was more years ago than I care to count. My hunch is that in towns it has something to do with being able to have a police presence to keep an eye on the kids and to watch out for potential problems, but that's just a guess.

From what I've observed this is fairly unique to the Lehigh Valley and by extension Carbon County. I haven't noticed this in NEPA communities at all, but I could be wrong.

The first year I lived here our neighbors' kids came trick-or-treating the Wednesday before Halloween and I felt so bad because I had nothing for them. I ended up giving them some chocolate Special K bars. Yes, I was THAT house! I'm lucky I didn't get egged.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,807,203 times
How about election night ? That's going to be a real trick or treat situation.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
I love the kids doing trick or treat on the Friday before Halloween. It's really convenient. No hassle with dealing with it on a school night or trying to remove make-up before church on a Sunday.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 PM

5,579 posts, read 6,640,338 times
Nowhere else that I've lived, which includes NJ, the Poconos and the Wyoming Valley, tried to hold Halloween on any night other than October 31. Fortunately the town we lived in didn't try to move it. I will never understand that, nor the attempt to limit it to certain hours of the day. Since this is our first year in Arizona, we asked some of our new friends if Halloween was any night other than Oct 31, and they thought we were nuts.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM

5,579 posts, read 6,640,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Trick Or Treating is an outdated event that should be discontinued in all communities. It is not healthy for the kids to be eating all that candy, it's not safe visiting stranger's homes, and it is also an invasion of privacy to those who wish not to be bothered. In addition it is a financial strain for people to buy bags of candy for these little rugrats. bah Humbug! Not just in Hellertown but all over. I will not be having kids anytime soon but maybe 5-7 years down the line when I do, no child of mine is going to be involved in this baloney!
I know this post is 4 years old, but Holy Cow what a grouch you are (were?). If you've had kids yet, I feel sorry for them when they don't understand how all their friends will be participating in this time honored tradition and you won't let them. Lighten up, life's too short to be living it like the Grinch, Scrooge, and the Burgermeister MeisterBurger all rolled into one!

Or maybe by now you've been visited by three ghosts and seen the error of your ways?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I love the kids doing trick or treat on the Friday before Halloween. It's really convenient. No hassle with dealing with it on a school night or trying to remove make-up before church on a Sunday.
Is that why it is done though? No one seems to be able to give me an explanation about why it's done this way around here.

Personally I'd rather celebrate the holiday on the actual holiday. I'm sure it's convenient for the parents but if I were a kid I'd be annoyed that grown ups switched the holiday on me.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
But if you've always done it on Friday night, there is no "switching" and you most likely don't think of it as being on another night. My kids sure didn't care and they did trick or treat for a number of years on Halloween night. Hey, with the big storm coming, I can guarantee that kids in our area are VERY happy to be going out tonight!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
But if you've always done it on Friday night, there is no "switching" and you most likely don't think of it as being on another night. My kids sure didn't care and they did trick or treat for a number of years on Halloween night. Hey, with the big storm coming, I can guarantee that kids in our area are VERY happy to be going out tonight!
So they get two nights to trick or treat? Someone on the NEPA board joked that kids could get a few nights to trick or treat if the surrounding towns have different nights. I never thought about it that way, but maybe that's the better way to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley