U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,594,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Is Fountain Hill really deteriorating? My uncle and his fiancee used to live there before they relocated to Maryland, and I thought the town seemed very charming.
I don't think so at all. I have several friends in FH, both owners and renters. There may be a few iffy streets bordering southside Bethlehem, but for the most part it's decent neighborhoods with working lower-middle class types and retirees. The homes are generally much better kept than some surrounding areas. Broadway is still a bit of an eyesore, but once you venture off the main drag it's quite nice.

Most of the riff-raff can't get mortgages anymore so the threat of them moving in is low now. The two rental properties on my one friend's street have been sold to owner-occupants in the past year or so, to young couples fixing them up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 PM

392 posts, read 1,272,414 times
Check out Salisbury Township. Its close to everything, very quiet, and very low crime. We pay an extra 1% in local taxes which helps keep the riff raff out. Its a small town, but we do have excellent schools and our own police department.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 PM

14 posts, read 27,000 times
Thanks!!! I am looking at all the places you guys have suggested. One more question. Which area is better Lehigh valley or NEPA???

Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 05:26 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,506,883 times
I'm not real familiar with NEPA because the area was out of the commuting distance for my husband so we never looked up there. You will get more house for your money up there. Winters will be longer, temps will be just a bit lower. That's about all I know.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:36 AM

31,294 posts, read 69,856,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylamesa View Post
Thanks!!! I am looking at all the places you guys have suggested. One more question. Which area is better Lehigh valley or NEPA???

Thanks
Generally speaking it's a draw. I'd be more than happy living in either the Scranton/Pocono area or the Lehigh Valley. As toobusytoday already mentioned housing prices are more affordable in the Greater Scranton area, and winters are indeed more brutal due to the higher elevation. From the Lehigh Valley you can commute to higher-paying career opportunities in New Jersey and SEPA. Heck, my uncle's fiancee even commuted to Reading from Fountain Hill daily. In Scranton you have quite a long haul into NJ daily for work (even though a growing number of people are doing it, hence the upcoming commuter train).

I'd probably give the slight edge to the Lehigh Valley because you are closer to both Philadelphia and NYC, being less than 90-minutes from each. NEPA wins for higher education, as we have many more colleges and universities. We're comparable on the health care front. Traffic isn't awful in either area, but rush-hour congestion and backlogs are commonplace on Route 22 in the Lehigh Valley and I-81 near Scranton, both of which are in dire need of widening to six lanes (or a better mass transit system could be implemented, which seems less likely). Both areas have their fair share of struggles with urban sprawl. Both areas have rising arts/cultural scenes. Scranton has better access to skiing (there's even a ski resort right in the city limits). Both areas are Democratic.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Scran Barre,
I realize you know everything about S-WB but I don't think you have more colleges. We have 6 four year colleges in the Lehigh Valley plus two community colleges and a PSU satellite campus. Go just a little further in any direction and we have several more.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM

191 posts, read 640,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Scran Barre,
I realize you know everything about S-WB but I don't think you have more colleges. We have 6 four year colleges in the Lehigh Valley plus two community colleges and a PSU satellite campus. Go just a little further in any direction and we have several more.

Name that for WB/Scranton vs Lehigh Valley. I wonder which one's are better?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM

I think the Lehigh Valley Colleges are ranked a little higher (Lehigh, Lafayette, Muhlenberg) but numbers are just that, numbers. As long as the student is getting a good education and feels comfortable, that's what is important.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 PM

31,294 posts, read 69,856,382 times
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

Baptist Bible College & Seminary
Commonwealth Medical College (Opening 2009)
Johnson College
Keystone College
King's College
Lackawanna College
Luzerne County Community College
Marywood University
Misericordia University
Penn State University/Scranton
Penn State University/Wilkes-Barre
University of Scranton
Wilkes University

Want to try that count again?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:33 PM

Shoot, can I take back my nice guy comment about rankings not counting?

Lafayette, Lehigh, Muhlenberg, Moravian, Cedar Crest, DeSales, Penn State- Lehigh Valley, Northampton CC, Lehigh-Carbon CC (oh, how about if I count Kutztown, it's only 25 miles??)

Pennsylvania really is blessed with an over-abundance of college choices. Growing up in lower Delaware most people I knew went to the local CC or the University of Delaware. There are tons of great colleges to choose from here.

(Don't ask me where my kids chose to go to College)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or