U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 09:22 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,971,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylamesa View Post
Which area is better Lehigh valley or NEPA???
Hands down - the Lehigh Valley is a nicer place to live than NEPA.

I have lived in both (Drums and Lower Macungie) and the two areas don't even compare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 PM

31,293 posts, read 69,856,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Hands down - the Lehigh Valley is a nicer place to live than NEPA.

I have lived in both (Drums and Lower Macungie) and the two areas don't even compare.
Well to be fair Drums was the "hinterlands" of NEPA. Did you even have running water?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:29 PM

191 posts, read 640,770 times
What's the pizza capitol city? I foget was it forty fort?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,971,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Well to be fair Drums was the "hinterlands" of NEPA. Did you even have running water?
We lived in Sands Springs golf community - it was very nice - but the whole mindset of the people in that area was not what I was used to.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:23 PM

14 posts, read 27,000 times
Thanks everyone! I have been looking on craigslist for house to rent and found some good ones. It's weird looking at houses there because they are so different then here. All we have is mostly stucco and we don't have really any row homes. The bathroom situation is a lot different its hard to find a house with 2 full bathrooms and here thats like the minimum.

I was wondering how are jobs up there with the economy going down the drain? My husband is in collections for a dealership but they don't have a dealership in Pa so he would have to fins a new job.

I want to move there so bad, but with the economy taking a dive for the worst it scares me. I don't want to us all are savings to move there and then not be able to have have a job, and be stuck with out any help.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM

248 posts, read 709,642 times
ok a few things.
first - i would NOT recommend fountain hill (sorry, but i just wouldnt) there are many nicer places in the lehigh valley then that area, and you would still be very close to the hospitals.

i was raised in NEPA (the clarks summit area) and my husband was raised in the lehigh valley (where i currently live). NEPA is absolutely gorgeous - prettier then LHV, i would say. BUT - i think from what you have described that you are looking for, you would be better off in the valley. there is just more opportunity.

instead of looking at houses, i would look at job opportunities in both places. that may end up being your deciding factor. if you can get a job then getting the house will be easy (well - you know what i mean!)

Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM

191 posts, read 640,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylamesa View Post
Thanks everyone! I have been looking on craigslist for house to rent and found some good ones. It's weird looking at houses there because they are so different then here. All we have is mostly stucco and we don't have really any row homes. The bathroom situation is a lot different its hard to find a house with 2 full bathrooms and here thats like the minimum.

I was wondering how are jobs up there with the economy going down the drain? My husband is in collections for a dealership but they don't have a dealership in Pa so he would have to fins a new job.

I want to move there so bad, but with the economy taking a dive for the worst it scares me. I don't want to us all are savings to move there and then not be able to have have a job, and be stuck with out any help.

Locally our unemployment is high. Being in the automobile industry is a definate downfall with people not buying at this time. The best homes/apartments for rent are not ususally posted online. Homeowners in the better area's usually hang the sign on the house and get the same results as paying hundred's of dollars for ad's in the local papers.

Here's a local free paper that's called the "east penn merchandiser". Lot's of people use this to place ad's. The Northern Berks Merchandiser - Hamburg, PA - Reading, PA - 1USA - 1USA.COM

You can always find a nice size apartment/house for rent for under $850. If you pay any more than that you might as well buy but since home prices are on the downward spiral and aren't going to stop for years & years. It's a renters market and waiting 2 or 3 years will save you an insanse amount of money. I live in Emmaus and can send you emails of home/apartments that I see around town that aren't in the papers if you like. Let me know how many bedrooms your looking for and the price limitations.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:41 PM

31,293 posts, read 69,856,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmausRocks View Post
What's the pizza capitol city? I foget was it forty fort?
That would be Old Forge, a suburb of Scranton. I did a brief photo tour of some of the famed Italian eateries lining restaurant row back in 2006 or 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or