U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 04:11 PM

790 posts, read 1,140,380 times

Advertisements

My son attends college in Bethlehem and has been looking for a waiter job. He has worked for the past 2 years as a waiter in a private club(fine dining) so he has experience. He has applied to several chains in Allenotwn, Bethlehem that advertised they were hiring servers - he's willing to work when he is available which includes weekends. He has made a follow up call and spoken to managers that said they would get back to him, but nothing has happened. Does anyone know if you need to know someone or what they are looking for? (by the way he is clean cut - short hair) - should he dress up to apply - he usually wears jeans and a golf shirt. He wants to sign up for a temprary agency - he seems to think he could get some hours that way - suggestions appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 07:57 PM

191 posts, read 640,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
My son attends college in Bethlehem and has been looking for a waiter job. He has worked for the past 2 years as a waiter in a private club(fine dining) so he has experience. He has applied to several chains in Allenotwn, Bethlehem that advertised they were hiring servers - he's willing to work when he is available which includes weekends. He has made a follow up call and spoken to managers that said they would get back to him, but nothing has happened. Does anyone know if you need to know someone or what they are looking for? (by the way he is clean cut - short hair) - should he dress up to apply - he usually wears jeans and a golf shirt. He wants to sign up for a temprary agency - he seems to think he could get some hours that way - suggestions appreciated.

Being his age he would be a great hire for UPS. They have morning hours, afternoon hours and evening. All those shifts are usually between 3-4 hours. The pay is around $8.50 - $9.50 to start but he will receive full time benefits fully paid and they are fantastic. All of UPS is union. The work is very physical as he will be unloading/loading trucks while sorting the freight. If he wanted to stick it out, he could become a become a driver and they make average 60k-100k a year and it's Monday thru Friday starting around 8AM until you finish. Everything is based off union seniority and the bethlehem hub takes anywhere from 1 1/2 -2 years to get a driving position. During the holidays he could be a driver helper and make more pay for that period. The first few years as a driver he will have the crappy runs but with time comes better runs. He could be fully retired in around 20-25 years with an awesome pension which is currently averages over 4k a month with full benefits. He could be in his mid to late 40's retired and happy. Most box/van drivers after 10-15 years of driving will transfer over to feeder drivers. That's driving a tractor trailer either hauling doubles (2, 28 ft trailers combined) or a straight 53' trailers. This is the gravy train and they make the most money. Those jobs are average 75-120k a year. UPS will train you to drive and the reason people have to wait so long to get one is, those guys don't leave. Most of these guys are older and will work until full retirement age and retire multi millionaries.

I am not saying he should not get a degree, he most definately should. But many, many college kids start off working sort(unloading/loading) and end up quitting school because they will make more money at UPS. It's a mentallty & physically tough job that get's easier every year(seniority). Here's the link to UPS where he can check out the jobs available, watch some movies that explain the type of work and then apply for a job, if he's willing.

https://upsjobs.managehr.com/

This link is a forum that many ups employees go on and talk about anything and everything. Every job has it's negatives and positives and this forum is exactly the same. You'll hear great stories along with horror stories.

UPS info for UPSers

Having children of my own I know it's a constant struggle and wish you and your kid the best of luck in life. If you would like and have any other questions about UPS, let me know. Temp services are good but their is usually a reason companies hire temp services, the jobs usually suck.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM

12,870 posts, read 29,509,143 times
Grocery stores are great places for college students and Wegmans has very flexible schedules for them. It's always ranked as one of the best places to work in the Valley. I'm sure he would get more money working as a waiter though. The hotel Bethlehem usually hires quite a few people. Has he tried there? Make sure he checks out Craigs list, Allentown.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 PM

191 posts, read 640,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Grocery stores are great places for college students and Wegmans has very flexible schedules for them. It's always ranked as one of the best places to work in the Valley. I'm sure he would get more money working as a waiter though. The hotel Bethlehem usually hires quite a few people. Has he tried there? Make sure he checks out Craigs list, Allentown.
If that doesn't work out, there are always some rough looking characters that hand out in the small alleys in Allentown that are looking for workers. I hear they pay really well but the benefits and work environment are not that good.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:01 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,509,143 times
I mentioned Craigs List Allentown because there isn't a Craigs list for Bethlehem. The postings for the whole LV is on the Allentown one.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM

790 posts, read 1,140,380 times
Thanks,
He's looking on Craigs List - hopefully that will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or