Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 PM

33 posts, read 88,069 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what part of Allentown is good? West, East, is there a certain street we should stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
The safest part of Allentown is on the West side, West of about 17th street.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:14 AM

611 posts, read 1,990,850 times
Stay east of Club Ave, north of route 22, west of Cedar Crest Blvd and south of Emmaus Ave.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:02 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Ummm, Isn't that pretty much eliminating Allentown?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 PM

102 posts, read 453,505 times
How is the area South of Martin Luther King Jr Drive (but north of Lehigh St.) ?

I was there the other day and it didn't look nearly as bad as the area up the hill on Hamilton St.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 AM

191 posts, read 688,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The safest part of Allentown is on the West side, West of about 17th street.

The west side is the best(if you consider anywhere the best, I don't) however, 17th is still not safe and you would not feel comfortable unless your used to mid size city drug, gang, majority of population is hispanic & black (I don't care, it's facts). The school district is horrible and should have Allentown police patrol the halls like a prison, it's that bad and I've down people for decades that graduated from there, hundreds of people I've been around socially over there years and every single one from the mid 80's on will tell you, ALLENTOWN HAS GONE TO SH*T AND CONTINUES TO GET WORSE. I feel bad for the people that actually keep up their property and have to endure living with animals n beside them, you see it everywhere. I've lived on 17th and St George which is right near the fairgrounds and I still know a ton of people in that couple blocks radius, trust me, unless your used to living in a rougher place, it's not nice. Until you get way, way, way down tilghman would I say is, "THE BEST SIDE OF ALLENTOWN'S WEST SIDE". Maybe 8 more blocks and it starts getting better.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 AM

191 posts, read 688,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiroll View Post
How is the area South of Martin Luther King Jr Drive (but north of Lehigh St.) ?

I was there the other day and it didn't look nearly as bad as the area up the hill on Hamilton St.
near the fish hatchery lane on the winding road?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 PM

102 posts, read 453,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmausRocks View Post
near the fish hatchery lane on the winding road?
Sorry if this wasn't clear.

I'm wondering if the area between S 8th and S 12th is any better if I am to the South of Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. In my last visit to the area, I noticed there is almost like a geographical boundary between the north and south area.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part

Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 AM

96 posts, read 255,018 times
Best of luck finding the residence you are seeking. It's truly sad what Allentown has become. I remember my parents taking us to Hess' headquarters and downtown during Christmas seasons in the 70's. Believe it or not it was a very nice environment and atmosphere. Sadly, I also remember telling friends in high school in the late 80's how depreciated Allentown was even then and a few were mad at me. If you can't speak the truth and some want to be in denial then there's no hope for improvement and progress. Whenever we visit we consciously try to avoid passing through Allentown as it's a very depressing experience.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:28 PM

113 posts, read 309,496 times
The best place to live is the west side, east side and south side. Stay away from the north side. This is where all the crime is. sadly allentown is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley