U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 07:42 AM

47 posts, read 147,430 times

Advertisements

I have friends coming into town for Thanksgiving and have asked to go into NYC for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get there on the holiday. We were thinking about doing a limo, but I need to check into that. What about driving somewhere and picking up the train? Do the buses run that day? Thanks for all your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 08:12 AM

99 posts, read 306,980 times
As an ex- New Yorker,I have to tell you to leave VERY EARLY in the morning. People start lining the parade route at 6am. The crowds are daunting. If you want to get a spot where you can actually "see" the festivities, you will have to be there at the crack of dawn. P.S: Waiting for the parade to start is half the fun. You will meet great people! ( Bring some hot chocolate and doughnuts..you will be all set)

Old 10-16-2008, 03:17 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,780,019 times
Well wouldn't it be nice if Woody's in Forks, PA near Allentown would put their FULL screen Wall TV on with the parade going in its entirety. ( For others who can't make the trip)
This way you could enjoy the Thanksgiving Dinner in a warm place, with good company.......and see the Macy's Parade like your sitting on the street.
Its just a thought, but.........I wonder if Woody's is OPEN and if they could do that!

Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM

47 posts, read 147,430 times
One of the reasons we want to do the parade is because we are used to the parades during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. That was one of the best things for us about living there -- being part of everything from riding in them to watching them! I can't wait! I am still trying to figure out how to get there tho......Anyone?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:42 PM

102 posts, read 417,851 times
When I want to go into the city and don't want or can't take the car in for this type of situation, I usually park at Newark Airport. All of the daily Newark parking lots have a monorail that connects the parking lots to the terminals, but also to the Newark Airport Station. People ask me why deal with the hassle of an airport, but you can actually park at Parking P4 and take just one monorail stop to the train station without ever actually setting foot in the "airport."

From Newark Airport to NY Penn Station is about a 20 min train ride. And everyone knows that doing that kind of time to Penn Station by car during the busy time of day is impossible.

I know it's not probably not the best solution but this I've found over the years is the most convenient for me.

But yea, for a parade you've gotta go super early, and many of the streets will be closed off for the parade. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of driving in there!!

Goodluck!!

EDIT: my original post said "Short Term Parking" but realized it's the "Daily Parking" that is connected to the monorail. Just fyi it costs $24 per 24 hours to park there. From what I understand the monorail goes 24 hours, and the NJ transit to Penn Station runs from 5AM to 2AM. Train tickets were in the $10 range to Penn Station (no fee for the Monorail portion).

Last edited by ichiroll; 10-16-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 AM

31 posts, read 126,428 times
I used to live in the lehigh valley and regularly commuted for work in NYC. What I usually did if I didnt take the bus was to drive up to a place called the North Bergen Park & Ride which is almost near the Lincoln Tunnel and then take a bus across into Port Authority. Its good in that that bus line, NJ Transit #320 runs very frequently and only takes 15 minutes from that point into the city. Way to get there is to take 78 all the way to the New Jersey turnpike, then that up to exit 16E, then follow the Secaucus sign straight into the Park & Ride.

Otherwise, there is also the option of just taking the Transbridge bus for the whole way but the schedule might not meet your needs.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 14,444 times
Default Masy's parade

I find the most painless way to commute to NYC is by bus. I get on Trans-Bridge at Industrial Drive, right off of Schoenersville road. It takes me to Port of Authority in NYC. They have busses leaving first thing in the morning (0530ish) and returning around midnight. You'll have to call them for the holiday schedule. You will also need to get there early because once the bus fills up you will have to wait for the next bus. The bus tickets are good for 6 months, should you decide to stay in NYC overnight you just catch a bus home the next day.
My daughter was in the parade 3 years ago. I found standing around 52-56th and Broadway to be enjoyable. I arrived at my curbside destination about 90 minutes before the strart of the parade and had a great view.
Should you wish to do the classic upscale eatery, Tavern on the Green, you need to make reservations now. They may not have any this close to the holiday. If fish and chips appeal to you, I reccomed 'A Salt n Battery' in Chelsea. Zagat's guide is a great place to find something to eat, or live on the edge and walk around after the parade to see what appeals to you. I would suggest not eating anywhere that is not Zagat rated 'A' or 'B'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley