Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 01:03 AM

4 posts, read 6,422 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to this forum and am hoping that some Pennsylvanians will be able to give me a few pointers.

My husband and I have been talking about moving to PA next spring, but we don't know where exactly to begin our search.

What we're looking for:
+ A rural or semi-rural area with decent-sized (100,000+ pop.) town not too far away- say a twenty-minute drive tops. This town would be lively, have plenty of cultural attractions (restaurants, cinema, museums, possibly a college).
+ Easy access to nature: trails, rivers, parks.
+ A measure of privacy: we prefer not to live in an apartment and would ideally like to easily rent a house with a yard.
+ Shopping not far away.

Who we are:
+ In our late-twenties, no children, two cats.
+ College educated.
+ Self-employed craftspeople.
+ We can afford to spend about $600/mo. for rent.

I grew up in Oley, near Reading, and would really like to return to that area, or a little southwest of there, as my sister currently lives in Carlisle.

+ Any insights or advice would really be helpful!

J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
jhayosh, I can think of any number of towns that would suit your requirements in the Lehigh Valley, but you are going to have an almost impossible time of finding a rental house for $600. Renting an apartment for that price may even be difficult. But, no harm in trying! Here a link to the local paper - Classified -- themorningcall.com You can also try Craigslist, Allentown. Palmerton and Nazareth are towns that may be a little less costly. If you could swing it though, Emmaus would be my choice - great small town with a lively downtown.

The favorite city for many of us on this forum is Bethlehem. It's got a great downtown area with bars, cute shops, coffee shops, great restaurants, and two colleges - Moravian and Lehigh. Bethlehem has big events every couple of months, with the biggest one being Musikfest in August. Musikfest 2008 - The Art of Musik There are a few museums and arts venues in Allentown and Bethlehem, including a wonderful symphony. The two cities run into each other and when I'm driving, I don't know where one stops and the other starts. However, crime-wise Allentown is having a bit of a problem. There are two colleges within the city limits of Allentown - Cedar Crest and Muhlenberg.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 AM

248 posts, read 797,947 times
yep what toobusy said! bethlehem is definitely a good choice for you. the downtown is quaint with unique shopping. there is a new outdoor shopping facility called The Promenade Shops with your higher end stores both in Center Valley (about 10-15 minutes from downtown Bethlehem) as well as brand new shops just built outside the Lehigh Valley Mall (also high end, about 20 minutes from Bethlehem). shopping will NOT be a problem LOL!

the rent, however, may be - but it never hurts to look! good luck in your hunt

Old 10-20-2008, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,422 times
Thanks to those who replied.. I'll do some research on Bethlehem!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,639 times
Hi, I recently opened a salon and spa in Coopersburg called "Always Pretty Salon and Spa" and I love the town! It is so close to Philadelphia and New York but is still very small and surrounded by a lot of beautiful country. Rolling hills, woods, fields etc. The people are very kind and friendly too. A great place to live!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-04-2008 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Please do not post phone numbers TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley