U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 PM

5 posts, read 19,473 times

Advertisements

Members of this site were very helfpul early this year, when I was inquiring about area, and DeSales University, and I am back to benefit again from your generosity and insight! My daughter is now attending DeSales, and I am planning a visit to the area, and looking for local input on "don't miss" things to see or do. Will have car, so can travel, and in fact do plan on spending a few days together travelling around, getting to know area. This is my first trip to East Coast! Looking for your suggestions! Willing to travel a couple hours any direction on a weekend jaunt...and also want to see areas nearby. Thinking of taking a little roadtrip thru Lancaster County, and over to Philadelphia-----
Ideas? Thanks, from California!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 AM

12,870 posts, read 29,512,737 times
Sheila, I was wondering if your daughter decided to attend DeSales! Assuming you will be back a few times to the east coast, I would concentrate on just a few places and your picks of 1) the Lehigh Valley and her college area 2) Philadelphia and 3) Lancaster are all good. If you run short on time, I would cut out Lancaster - pretty and different but a long drive and if it's cold out you won't want to be wandering around much anyway.

For this area, I would choose Bethlehem and Hawks Mountain Welcome to Hawk Mountain for two contrasting experiences. The latter, only if the weather is good for hiking. The ride to hawk mountain is less then an hour and just beautiful. Downtown Bethlehem (Main Steet, near Moravian College) is fun for window shopping and eating.

For Philadlephia, I would take the train in from Colmar, which is about 20 minutes from DeSales right on 309. We've taken it from Lansdale but it's a little further drive. Lansdale does have more trains though so you might consider that. Here's the link for SEPTA - the Philadelphia train system SEPTA Once in Philadelphia, get off at Market Street East and go to the Reading Terminal Market, about a block from the train station. http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/ Eat, smell and enjoy. Walk about 6 blocks south and you'll be in the heart of the historical section. This website will help you here: Historic Philadelphia :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia My favorites are the Constitution Center - National Constitution Center: Home, Independence Hall and the Benjamin Franklin house Franklin's Philadelphia :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia If you decide to drive to Philadelphia, there is an underground parking garage underneath the Constitution Center.

That's (more then) enough for now!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 AM

31,285 posts, read 69,865,305 times
If you've never been to the East Coast then why not spend a day in Manhattan as well? It's a real treat!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:40 PM

191 posts, read 640,849 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Sheila, I was wondering if your daughter decided to attend DeSales! Assuming you will be back a few times to the east coast, I would concentrate on just a few places and your picks of 1) the Lehigh Valley and her college area 2) Philadelphia and 3) Lancaster are all good. If you run short on time, I would cut out Lancaster - pretty and different but a long drive and if it's cold out you won't want to be wandering around much anyway.

For this area, I would choose Bethlehem and Hawks Mountain Welcome to Hawk Mountain for two contrasting experiences. The latter, only if the weather is good for hiking. The ride to hawk mountain is less then an hour and just beautiful. Downtown Bethlehem (Main Steet, near Moravian College) is fun for window shopping and eating.

For Philadlephia, I would take the train in from Colmar, which is about 20 minutes from DeSales right on 309. We've taken it from Lansdale but it's a little further drive. Lansdale does have more trains though so you might consider that. Here's the link for SEPTA - the Philadelphia train system SEPTA Once in Philadelphia, get off at Market Street East and go to the Reading Terminal Market, about a block from the train station. Reading Terminal Market › Home Eat, smell and enjoy. Walk about 6 blocks south and you'll be in the heart of the historical section. This website will help you here: Historic Philadelphia :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia My favorites are the Constitution Center - National Constitution Center: Home, Independence Hall and the Benjamin Franklin house Franklin's Philadelphia :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia If you decide to drive to Philadelphia, there is an underground parking garage underneath the Constitution Center.

That's (more then) enough for now!

LOL

LOL

Old 11-01-2008, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 84,529 times
Hi There,

PA is so different from Cali. Lived in both for 10+ years…

When you go to Lehigh I think the best hotel is Hotel Bethlehem. It is in the heart of the historic district with shops and historic homes. Check out Moravian Bookstore and Gift Shop (I’m partial, born and raised Moravian).

If you get to Philadelphia of course you need to see the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house, Ben Franklin House and Independence Hall. However, must dos are City Hall, Wanamaker Organ (in the Macy's store downtown) and then a trip to the 4 major squares: Franklin, Washington, Rittenhouse and Logan (actually a circle).

And don’t forget Harrisburg, it is Pennsylvania’s capital and has a beautiful capital building. From Harrisburg you could drive to Lancaster, spend the night and then back to Lehigh.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Great ideas ericwin but Sheila's daughter is at DeSales, not Lehigh..... BTW, I agree with the hotel suggestion. The rooms aren't the best (make sure to ask for one overlooking Main Street and not the parking lot) but the location is perfect. There's really no place to stay in Center valley or Coopersburg near DeSales and the Hotel Bethlehem is just as close as any you would find with a Quakertown address.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 PM

You can check out the drug dealers, prostitutes, gang bangers, druged out lowlife around Allentown or you can drive through 1/2 empty sameville, usa McMansionvilles. My favorite thing to do is driving around and watching foreclosure signs appearing more and more by the day. This would be a nice family outting or a field trip.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:17 AM

That ER- he's such a kidder!

We want Sheila to see something different around here. You can see drug dealers in any city in America, same with McMansions in surrounding areas. But, hey, where are those gang banger-prostitutes of which you speak? I would like to know what area to avoid because I don't see them when I go into Allentown to church on Sunday so I know they're not in West Allentown. And they're not near the symphony hall in the center of Allentown, or over by Mountainville where I shop at Valley Farm market. Guess I must have missed them so far.....

Old 11-02-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
That ER- he's such a kidder!

We want Sheila to see something different around here. You can see drug dealers in any city in America, same with McMansions in surrounding areas. But, hey, where are those gang banger-prostitutes of which you speak? I would like to know what area to avoid because I don't see them when I go into Allentown to church on Sunday so I know they're not in West Allentown. And they're not near the symphony hall in the center of Allentown, or over by Mountainville where I shop at Valley Farm market. Guess I must have missed them so far.....
look north from the symphony hall and your within 100 yards of the hood. check the per capita crime rate for allentown, you'll be amazed. As a matter of fact the drug testing facility for criminals is located right beside the symphony hall so all you have to do is open your eyes.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 AM

5 posts, read 19,473 times
Default Great input!

Thank you for the great input!

Minor foot injury rules out hiking this trip, but looked at the Hawk Mountain link, and it looks beautiful! Will pass along to my daughter, as looks like a great day trip for she and friends!

Set for accommodations in that area for now, but will save the Bethlehem hotel recommendation for another trip. Definitely will visit Bethlehem, one weekday, and will seek out the spots recommended---thanks!

Have Fri aft to Sun for a little roadtrip, and thinking woudl like to enjoy the countryside, and experience the Amish etc culture unique to area, so so thinking will drive Fri aft to Lancaster, spend the night (still looking for accommodations there) and then leave next day for Philadelphia, spend one night there (also still looking online for accommodations), and then back to school Sunday. With only one day in Philadelphia, really appreciate the must see recommendations, as so much to choose from!

Thanks for train link, but since I have a car, and thought we would go to Phillie from Lancaster, will drive i think. But will look into those train links for future, getting daughter to PHL for trips home!

And will look at the links for Philadelphia too....thank you! Looking forward to seeing PA!

Sheila
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or