U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 AM

3,191 posts, read 6,038,068 times

Advertisements

We recently just ended a nearly two week long honeymoon with a stop in Jim Thorpe before returning to Pittsburgh.

We enjoyed our stay at Angel of the Morning bed and breakfast, and had great dinning and shopping experiences.

I remember there being a distinct difference between the downtown area and the upper part of the town. People in the downtown area are very friendly and warm and welcoming, while you feel like you are in white trash heaven in the upper part. And what's with the traffic? People are unwilling to let you in to traffic. and try crossing the streets as a bike rider or pedestrian.

We were told there is growing resentment from the locals towards tourists, and if that's true, get over it. We travel a lot, and we see a lot of small town America with blocks of closed up store fronts, something you don't see in Jim Thorpe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM

15,471 posts, read 11,090,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
We recently just ended a nearly two week long honeymoon with a stop in Jim Thorpe before returning to Pittsburgh.

We enjoyed our stay at Angel of the Morning bed and breakfast, and had great dinning and shopping experiences.

I remember there being a distinct difference between the downtown area and the upper part of the town. People in the downtown area are very friendly and warm and welcoming, while you feel like you are in white trash heaven in the upper part. And what's with the traffic? People are unwilling to let you in to traffic. and try crossing the streets as a bike rider or pedestrian.

We were told there is growing resentment from the locals towards tourists, and if that's true, get over it. We travel a lot, and we see a lot of small town America with blocks of closed up store fronts, something you don't see in Jim Thorpe.
We were there a few months ago and we never left the "village". What is "white trash heaven" like, by the way?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Although we know and love the owner of the b and b we stayed at, we may stay downtown next time.

White trash heaven? Ehh use your imagination

Old 11-04-2008, 04:17 PM

392 posts, read 1,272,547 times
Welcome to Pennsyltucky.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,241 times
I live in Lehighton, which is right next to Jim Thorpe. I love the lower part and the history of it. But even I have to agree with you about the people in the upper part.
People around here don't really like the tourists, so that's why you see that kind of resentment. I don't really mind it, but it makes me mad when I'm driving through the lower part and the streets are crowded and slow moving. I guess that's why people don't like them too.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionvictim86 View Post
I live in Lehighton, which is right next to Jim Thorpe. I love the lower part and the history of it. But even I have to agree with you about the people in the upper part.
People around here don't really like the tourists, so that's why you see that kind of resentment. I don't really mind it, but it makes me mad when I'm driving through the lower part and the streets are crowded and slow moving. I guess that's why people don't like them too.
We drove through Lehighton on our way to the PA Turnpike to go home, not impressed with it at all.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 AM

21,001 posts, read 18,950,023 times
You've had a big influx of New Jersians and New Yorkers which has probably had to do alot with people being less friendly. The best part of Jim Thorpe is the route 209 by the bridge that crosses the Leigh River. North is south and south is north. When I first drove it I thought I somehow got turned around. It curves around and goes kind of west which eventually goes south and you go south to go north.
Have they rebuilt Country Junction yet?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You've had a big influx of New Jersians and New Yorkers which has probably had to do alot with people being less friendly.
I've read a lot about that influx, but the people we encountered I'm sure aren't part of that group.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:48 PM

31,285 posts, read 69,862,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I've read a lot about that influx, but the people we encountered I'm sure aren't part of that group.
I say "BRING IT ON!" Those NJ guys have such sexy accents! GRROOWWLLL!!! "Go get me some drinking wooder!!!"

Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,524,336 times
I highly doubt NJ & NYers would hang around a small PA town...too outnumbered. Although they do tend to go more to the tourist towns,which Jim Thorpe is...hence all the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley