U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM

50 posts, read 179,183 times

Advertisements

My parents are planning a move for us to Pennsylvania before the end of Spring. I know the area pretty well as I have a lot of family in the Valley and also work at a car dealership there. I know there are some areas to avoid in the Valley, but I wanted to get some different opinions on where to look. We live in North Jersey now and we prefer the slightly more open feeling of Pennsylvania, and the cheap home prices. Our budget is around $250K-300K. Land isn't much of an issue but we need atleast 3 bedrooms. I was thinking Palmer, parts of Easton, Forks, parts of Nazarath and Whitehall are good places to begin looking. Are there any new developments that fit our parameters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 AM

12,878 posts, read 29,576,874 times
guy,
Your parameters are too broad. You can find homes in your price range in any of those towns. You might want to also post this (with a bit more detail) in the Northeastern PA forum for info about Forks.

I don't think there are too many new developments in Whitehall, but many homes in that price range. I think Jeff (regular poster) lives out that way.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM

205 posts, read 760,429 times
Forks township is Lehigh Valley, I think all of it is in Easton School District. Also, in those areas you may want to check out some of Bethlehem Township, and Lower Nazareth township, as they're along route 33. Whitehall is along rt 145, and can be crazy with traffic. South Whitehall township is Parkland school district, and a lot different than Whitehall township.

As the previous poster said, you can find everything you're looking for in any of those areas. Are you going to be interested in school districts, downtown areas, highways and transportations? They would help pinpoint a good location for you.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 AM

242 posts, read 772,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinnj View Post
My parents are planning a move for us to Pennsylvania before the end of Spring. I know the area pretty well as I have a lot of family in the Valley and also work at a car dealership there. I know there are some areas to avoid in the Valley, but I wanted to get some different opinions on where to look. We live in North Jersey now and we prefer the slightly more open feeling of Pennsylvania, and the cheap home prices. Our budget is around $250K-300K. Land isn't much of an issue but we need atleast 3 bedrooms. I was thinking Palmer, parts of Easton, Forks, parts of Nazarath and Whitehall are good places to begin looking. Are there any new developments that fit our parameters.
guyinnj,

It depends on your definition of "new". If you are looking for single family homes that are just being built the 250 range maybe a little diffcult for single family new construction but would be more then enough for townhome or twin type living. Then again if you are ok with something that is 5 years old...that would open a few more doors. All the areas you have selected you should be able to accomplish what you are looking for in terms of 3 bedrooms.

For more details we would need to know more about your goals of buying a home (like jimmy mentioned).

Old 11-16-2008, 08:48 AM

50 posts, read 179,183 times
Well, school districts don't matter to my family as I'm in college and my only other sibling has graduated college recently. Quick access to rt 22/78 is a must, but most areas in the Valley seem close to 22 from what I've noticed. And by new I do not mean it has to be a brand new house, maybe a few years old. A town home would be fine as long as it has a more open floor plan.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM

12 posts, read 44,864 times
Nazareth Area - is a great location as well!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:03 AM

242 posts, read 772,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinnj View Post
Well, school districts don't matter to my family as I'm in college and my only other sibling has graduated college recently. Quick access to rt 22/78 is a must, but most areas in the Valley seem close to 22 from what I've noticed. And by new I do not mean it has to be a brand new house, maybe a few years old. A town home would be fine as long as it has a more open floor plan.
Well if townhomes are ok...you will have your pick of the litter in the Valley and be close to the 225 -250 range for an open floor plan.

I would recommend starting in the Bethlehem (vineyards at wagner farms)area...you will find very nice open floor plans in townhome living...be close to 22, 33 and 78. At the same time I would also review some options in Forks and Palmer (Penns Ridge and Sycamore Hills) that will give you a similar drive and keep similar ammenities around you.

From there you will have a little further of a drive but these areas would also produce great townhome communities Nazareth, upper saucon, Easton & Williams township (cedar park & country classics at morgan hill).

Whitehall does have some newer townhome communities. My main concern would be about a 15 to 20 minute longer of a drive then some of the other communities.

hope this helps.
Jeff

Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 AM

12 posts, read 44,864 times
It really depends what you are looking for, and where you will be commuting to. Nazareth is right off 33 with easy access to 78 and 22 if you commute into Jersey - makes for an easy commute. Taxes are reasonable and the school district is one of the best in the Valley- although you said school was not an issue. Forks, Palmer and Easton taxes are incredible and the school district is not good. My husband commuted from Upper Nazareth Township to West Trenton it took an hour and not much traffic off 78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley